Early Baby Boomers Currently Working And Those Looking Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look up your own name on the Internet you will find your age, address, people related to you, your landline, and possibly your email. Also, prior addresses.

Spokeo has all this, among many other sites.

We know that also, unfortunately. Just go to a "People Search" type website, put in a name and previous addresses and age will come up. For many, a person has to pay to get phone number and other private things.

I'd suggest you hope for the best but plan for the worst. The worst being that she doesn't find a job.

The hard, cold fact is that the older we get (past 50) the less likely we are to find new employment.

Her loss of employment may be an unexpected trade-off for your dream coming true, i.e., making that much desired move from FL to CO.

I hope she finds something that suits her, CR.

"Early" meaning Boomers born around 1948/1949. For those still in the workforce, you're lucky. Those that aren't, but are looking for another job, not so easy and/or lucky.

My wife, who is now 72, would love to find a another job within her experience/education in finance and accounting. She left her last job when we moved from Florida. She'd been with this insurance company for almost 5 years. Where we live now, most Seniors her age are either retired or working at Walmart as a cashiers. Millennials and Generation X hold the other jobs here. She won't take a job too far away, as in 10 miles or more, due to the winters here and the mileage on our vehicle. Only an 8-5, Mon thru Friday, like she's always had. Since last August, she has applied numerous places locally here, but with only a few calls and a couple of in-person interviews. She has a major Degree, as in Bachelors, but got it in 1997. Millennials and Gen X look at that as too old, but is a Degree.

So, for those Seniors her age, and employed...……..nice!

Any thoughts?
The best avenue to pursue would be self-employment. I knew a guy who couldn't drive a nail but he owned a small roofing company. He hired roofers and a foreman to ramrod the work. He just sold the jobs, collected the money, paid the bills and kept the rest. I remember telling that story to my son who took it to heart. When he was a senior in high school and sitting in the classroom, he had two guys working for him during the day who pressure-washed decks. He'd go out to the jobs after dinner, inspect the work and collect the money. On Friday, he paid his workers and took the rest to the bank. A pressure-washing business might work for you, or maybe some other handyman type enterprise: gutter cleaning, window washing, house painting, etc. You don't need to do it or even how to do it. Just hire people who do. Why get "a job" when you can be management?

The best avenue to pursue would be self-employment. I knew a guy who couldn't drive a nail but he owned a small roofing company. He hired roofers and a foreman to ramrod the work. He just sold the jobs, collected the money, paid the bills and kept the rest. I remember telling that story to my son who took it to heart. When he was a senior in high school and sitting in the classroom, he had two guys working for him during the day who pressure-washed decks. He'd go out to the jobs after dinner, inspect the work and collect the money. On Friday, he paid his workers and took the rest to the bank. A pressure-washing business might work for you, or maybe some other handyman type enterprise: gutter cleaning, window washing, house painting, etc. You don't need to do it or even how to do it. Just hire people who do. Why get "a job" when you can be management?

Unfortunately, things like that take investing into things, including small business insurance. And, as far as my thinking goes, seems like something is always going wrong when dealing with the public. Hire someone and that person does the job wrong, whatever.
Self-Employment takes money, and sometime plenty of it. Sorry, not going to work for us.

I do appreciate the replies, but is there any Seniors in this forum that are seeking employment and having the same problem that my wife is?
There are Seniors that don't realize just how hard it is to find a job, especially when they haven't done it at 72 years old.
How about looking for a job in a retirement community? Seniors helping seniors? Perhaps being a receptionist or helper in the dining area…

Oops sorry, I see the background is finance and accounting, how about doing some financial planning as a consultant working from home? Or maybe tax prep?

I understand your suggestions, but my wife doesn't want to be a consultant or tax prep. Her finance background isn't with people, but with the company she has worked for. She does our taxes online and has made a couple of mistakes in the past...……...we got a refund rather than owing. Working with the public is not part of her experience. A tax company was going to hire her for tax season, but she turned it down. She didn't want to work inside Walmart, let alone every weekend and I totally understood.

I understand your suggestions, but my wife doesn't want to be a consultant or tax prep. Her finance background isn't with people, but with the company she has worked for. She does our taxes online and has made a couple of mistakes in the past...……...we got a refund rather than owing. Working with the public is not part of her experience. A tax company was going to hire her for tax season, but she turned it down. She didn't want to work inside Walmart, let alone every weekend and I totally understood.
Ok, wished I could have helped....sending u both some 4 leaf clovers....🍀🍀🍀🍀

Unfortunately, things like that take investing into things, including small business insurance. And, as far as my thinking goes, seems like something is always going wrong when dealing with the public. Hire someone and that person does the job wrong, whatever.
Self-Employment takes money, and sometime plenty of it. Sorry, not going to work for us.
A two man business of pressure washing decks, furniture, houses, etc. does not require any real investment and certainly not business insurance. If you don't want to buy a pressure washer, rent it for the day.

A two man business of pressure washing decks, furniture, houses, etc. does not require any real investment and certainly not business insurance. If you don't want to buy a pressure washer, rent it for the day.
As a former entrepreneur, I'm with you. And...........don't really know of any small business person with 'business insurance' except for "So, sue me."

We are both the computer type people, definitely not the physical work type. When I went from spending years working in a warehouse and doing some pretty physical work, I was so darn happy to work as a Jr. Buyer/Inventory Management in my own office. Salary was much better also.

We are both the computer type people, definitely not the physical work type. When I went from spending years working in a warehouse and doing some pretty physical work, I was so darn happy to work as a Jr. Buyer/Inventory Management in my own office. Salary was much better also.
I think you missed the point. I'm not suggesting that you do the work. Hire people to do the work. You don't even need to know how to do the work. You sell the jobs, hire people who do know how to do the work, collect the money, pay the help and keep the rest. It works. That's how I make my living every day...and I've been doing it for over 30 years.

I think you missed the point. I'm not suggesting that you do the work. Hire people to do the work. You don't even need to know how to do the work. You sell the jobs, hire people who do know how to do the work, collect the money, pay the help and keep the rest. It works. That's how I make my living every day...and I've been doing it for over 30 years.

Just isn't our kind of work! We like benefits, like paid sick days off, snow days, paid holidays and paid vacations. Note the word "paid" in all of it.

Just isn't our kind of work! We like benefits, like paid sick days off, snow days, paid holidays and paid vacations. Note the word "paid" in all of it.

The odds of anyone, once they reach their 60's and beyond, finding a good paying full time job with all the benefits, is probably somewhere between Slim and None. About the best job such a person might hope to find might be working as a Walmart Greeter.

Who doesn't? Just isn't your kind of work? Is poverty your kind of life? Do you believe that you're entitled to a big salary, with all of those benefits, for pushing a pencil just because you want it? What could you possibly offer an employer that would enduce him to hire you over a go-getter fresh out of college? The job you describe is one you should have had your entire life and retired from with a fat pension. Apparently, you didn't have such a job. Now, in your 70s, you still believe that the job you describe is available to you somewhere? It's not. What you LIKE is a moot point if you are in the position where no one will hire you due to your age and highly selective job types. "Can't" and "Don't want to" just don't cut it when it comes to earning a living. My suggestion was a valid way to make money for anyone, BIG money if managed properly, regardless of their background, but it takes ambition, initiative and some thinking outside the box. Complaining and being unjustly highly selective will insure your continued unemployment.

Who doesn't? Just isn't your kind of work? Is poverty your kind of life? Do you believe that you're entitled to a big salary, with all of those benefits, for pushing a pencil just because you want it? What could you possibly offer an employer that would enduce him to hire you over a go-getter fresh out of college? The job you describe is one you should have had your entire life and retired from with a fat pension. Apparently, you didn't have such a job. Now, in your 70s, you still believe that the job you describe is available to you somewhere? It's not. What you LIKE is a moot point if you are in the position where no one will hire you due to your age and highly selective job types. "Can't" and "Don't want to" just don't cut it when it comes to earning a living. My suggestion was a valid way to make money for anyone, BIG money if managed properly, regardless of their background, but it takes ambition, initiative and some thinking outside the box. Complaining and being unjustly highly selective will insure your continued unemployment.

First, this thread isn't about me, it's about my wife! Second, we are very, very comfortable with my status of not working.
Second, just because folks do a thread about Senior employment, sure doesn't mean the person has to follow the suggestions given. You do know that, right?
It's our decision on what to do, but hearing from those that could be in the same situation is what we were asking about/this thread was about.
My wife knows exactly what she wants and will continue seeking that. We don't have the finances to start, let alone run, a self-business.
There are those, like my 1/2 brother, who absolutely hates computers, but absolutely loves hard, dirty, physical work. We don't!!
Hope you understand all of this now.

I don't know the situation where you are, but here, it would be almost impossible (the "almost" meaning if you were in a family business or already had strong connections to a company) at your ages to find new full time work with all the benefits you seek. It's hard enough for younger folks with specific degrees (more than a bachelor's) to find that kind of work. Nowdays many employers want a bachelor's degree to be a receptionist.

I think if she wants full time work, she needs to lower her sights and requirements a bit, and even then it's going to be tough. And you yourself may have to consider finding something part-time at least, in order to make ends meet.

As Nautilus said above, if you need to earn a living, you need to adjust to what's available, not the other way around.

I don't know the situation where you are, but here, it would be almost impossible (the "almost" meaning if you were in a family business or already had strong connections to a company) at your ages to find new full time work with all the benefits you seek. It's hard enough for younger folks with specific degrees (more than a bachelor's) to find that kind of work. Nowdays many employers want a bachelor's degree to be a receptionist.

I think if she wants full time work, she needs to lower her sights and requirements a bit, and even then it's going to be tough. And you yourself may have to consider finding something part-time at least, in order to make ends meet.

As Nautilus said above, if you need to earn a living, you need to adjust to what's available, not the other way around.

Well, many of the jobs here are a good 15 miles from where we live, which is simply to far to drive, especially in winter/snow months. Millennials and Gen X can definitely do that without a problem, but a 72 year old, not so.
As far as her "lowering her sights and requirements", she knows what she wants and is going for that, even if the kind of job she wants is hard to find.
We are making ends meet and have cut-back on some things. She would just like to go back to work in "what she does best" and keep on looking/applying. Very little part-time jobs here that she could take. Like me, she can't stand on her feet all day for a job and won't/can't take anything physically demanding.

She will just keep looking and I will keep cleaning, doing laundry, etc., while she is looking. I was doing laundry almost the entire day yesterday. Didn't bother me a bit and she loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back