Easy Home Made Caesar Salad Dressing & Croutons

MrPants

Never been able to find a decent Caesar Dressing in a bottle at the grocery store so I started to make my own. It's head & shoulders above the store bought dressings and it's really easy to make! I like my sauce quite garlicy but you can adjust to taste in that area.

Now a proper chef will tell you that you need to make your own Mayo mix using egg yoke and slowly whisking in some cooking oil like olive oil or the like. Takes too much time and I don't want to whisk for 10 or 15 minutes. No need for that using this recipe and the result is just as good IMO.

Ingredients:
2 Cloves garlic finely minced (I use 4 med. size cloves in mine - 5 sometimes 😋)
1 tsp Anchovy paste (don't worry, you won't even taste it when it's mixed in)
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 tbsp fresh squeezed Lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Salt
1 cup Mayo (I use Hellman's - don't use that other stuff 😣)
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano*

(* You could use powdered Parmesan but I wouldn't. The taste is just not the same! If you prefer, you could go 1/2 & half using the real stuff & the fake stuff.)

Mix all this together by whisking it in a small bowl (makes a little over 1 1/2 cups of sauce).
I mix all the ingredients together a bit then whisk the mayo in. After that mixed well I add 1/2 the Parm whisking that in then add the other half of the Parm & whisk that in. Pour it into whatever you want to store it in and you're all set!

This salad dressing rivals any you'll get in a fancy (& expensive) steak house where they make the salad right at your table. If you like Caesar Salad with a bold taste, you'll love this dressing 😍 and so will your family/guests!

Homemade Croutons:
Use whatever bread you have on hand. Crusty rolls are great as are regular bread crusts or any bread you have on hand. Leave the bread out for a day or so to make it a little crusty on the surface. If that's not possible, cube it up (1/2 inch cubes roughly) & put it in the oven at 200-250 on bake for 8-10 mins.

Use a bowl large enough to allow you to mix the bread cubes with both hands as you add the other ingredients. Sprinkle some olive oil or melted butter/margarine over the bread cubes, mixing them around using your hands until all the cubes have some oil/butter on them. Sprinkle some ground black pepper & salt into the mix then mix it all together again using your hands. I also sprinkle in some powdered Parmesan cheese which gives them a nice flavor.
Spread the mixed cubes over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper & put in the oven at about 300-325 and bake for about 15 mins. or until they're a nice golden color. Pull them out at about 1/2 way through the bake time and mix them around with a spatula so all sides bake.
These croutons are better than store bought because although they're crusty, they are a lot fresher and easier to bite into plus, the flavor is superior IMO.

Store in the fridge in a container and use as needed.

Last edited:
You missed the raw egg in the dressing . If you have not tried it yet, get some of Barberian's steak spice from Amazon Canada. Barberian's is one of Toronto's best steak houses since 1956. JimB.

Renee’s Mighty Caesar Dressing is a great caesar dressing. It’s only found in the refrigerated section of grocery stores, usually near the fresh vegetables.
IMG_9975.jpeg

You missed the raw egg in the dressing . If you have not tried it yet, get some of Barberian's steak spice from Amazon Canada. Barberian's is one of Toronto's best steak houses since 1956. JimB.
This recipe does not use a raw egg yoke. I addressed that in the preamble:
"Now a proper chef will tell you that you need to make your own Mayo mix using egg yoke and slowly whisking in some cooking oil like olive oil or the like. Takes too much time and I don't want to whisk for 10 or 15 minutes. No need for that using this recipe and the result is just as good IMO."

I do want to try making it with the egg yoke & oil sometime. That would eliminate adding the cup of Mayo and likely reduce the volume of shredded cheese as well.

Yes. I have tried this one, and many others I've found at the store. They're all fine for a quick and easy but if I am having people over for a meal I like to make the real thing. To me the taste is much better; bolder than the bottled stuff. I get a lot of compliments on it because people are usually expecting the bottled dressing instead

Back