EEEKKK - More rage and frustration

Is it usual for a moving company to be paid by the hour? Seems to me thay could really dawdle to add time to the bill. I am likely to pay by the JOB. One I heard from wanted $159 an hour. Is that reasonable?
You are right, some moving companies will dawdle to add time to the bill; they tried that trick with us but I kept hurrying them up. I don't remember how much they charged us; but, it was per hour. Good luck, Deb.

If everything is set aside, why not just get the movers in for what you’re taking and leave the other stuff at the old place. It could be really busy for movers after Thanksgiving and before Christmas.

The old place doesn’t have to be empty to list.
Some realtors like to have some furniture in the house so people will see what it looks like with furniture in it.,

When my MIL passed away. We got an auction Co. to come & they had about 4 huge trailers they put stuff on & the two auctioneers started selling things. They kept bringing out more things as some were removed from the trailers.

Everything was sold & gone in 4 hrs. Some at a great price & some not so good but the auctioneers knew the value so they started high on lots of things. Good thing the house was empty.

You guys were lucky to have auction houses that woudl take your items. Locally here, there were three. One auctioneer retired and that one is now OOB. One is closed because of the pandemic. The one left is only taking precious metals and very high-end collectibles right now. He wasn't interested in my stuff.

Deb, again you are to be complemented on getting rid of all that stuff. May I suggest you just leave it there? I had a discussion with my sister today about all the Wedgewood she has in her crawl space.
Also, my niece has my mother's dishes, even though she has a set of her own. My wife has her mother's good china, which we never use.

Last edited:
What should I do about the heating in my OH if I move into my NH? I have the thermostat on 65 now which is warm enough for me. If we get a cold snap and I have the heat off, it won't be very pleasant for anyone looking at it. Added to the fact that the water pipes freeze easily even under normal winter temps.

What should I do about the heating in my OH if I move into my NH? I have the thermostat on 65 now which is warm enough for me. If we get a cold snap and I have the heat off, it won't be very pleasant for anyone looking at it. Added to the fact that the water pipes freeze easily even under normal winter temps.
Turn it down to the lowest setting 55 or lower if you can. That way pipes won't freeze. My Thermostat here goes down to 50 if I was in need of saving $$$

Back