Emotional Support Animals on Airplanes

I have often wondered this, Debbie. If my husband was seated near a cat on a cross country flight he would be in serious trouble.

Same with my daughter. She ends up in the ER if she is exposed to even a blanket a cat has sat upon. Cat-induced asthma.

If my dog were allowed on a plane, he would do his best to get free so he could visit people, eat their snacks, try their drinks, and generally turn the entire plane into a 3-ring circus. This is a dog who routinely gets out of seat belts, harnesses, and crates ... Houdini should be his name.

I had a Southwest Captain tell me that if they have a passenger that presents a note from their doctor stating that they are allergic to peanuts, which Southwest is undeniably known as the "Peanut Airline," all peanuts must be removed from the aircraft. It was once stated that people allergic to peanuts would not have a severe reaction to just inhaling peanut dust, however, airlines just aren't prepared to take that risk.

I had a Southwest Captain tell me that if they have a passenger that presents a note from their doctor stating that they are allergic to peanuts, which Southwest is undeniably known as the "Peanut Airline," all peanuts must be removed from the aircraft. It was once stated that people allergic to peanuts would not have a severe reaction to just inhaling peanut dust, however, airlines just aren't prepared to take that risk.

I flew SW just a few weeks ago. No more peanuts. I asked about it and learned that they made the switch fleet-wide in deference to people with peanut allergies. They now serve little bags of pretzels.

Flight delayed two hours when woman brought emotional 'support' squirrel on the plane, more here.

I'm sorry, but I think this whole "emotional support" thing has gotten out of control. Seeing-eye, hearing assist, seizure alert, and similarly HIGHLY TRAINED dogs are one thing, but emotional support squirrels? Gimme a break.

p.s. If her MD gave her paperwork indicating that this was an emotional support animal, his/her license should be reviewed.

I have been seeing more restaurants post, “No Emotional Support Animals Permitted” signs. It’s really getting out of hand. Where does it end?

Back