Entire N.C. Police Department Resigns After Black Female Town Manager Hired

OneEyedDiva

SF VIP
"The mass exodus of an entire police department after the hiring of a Black town manager in North Carolina has opened a conversation about public safety and race relations in a small town of just over 1,500 residents.
Last week, the entire police department in Kenly, North Carolina, resigned, citing a "hostile" work environment less than two months after Justine Jones, a Black woman, began her role as the town's newly selected city manager."

"Alan "Chip" Hewett, Kenly's town attorney, told CNN that he will oversee an investigation conducted by an outside firm starting next week when all the resignations take effect."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/29/us/north-carolina-police-resign-black-city-manager-reaj/index.html

Black women are no strangers to the perception that assertiveness is aggressivness and that wanting things the way they should be done makes us "angry Black women". One of it's citizens spoke to the reporter about it and Harvard reported on it:
"Brittney Hinnant, a Kenly resident, said she feels like the situation is a “race issue” given that Jones is Black, while the entire Kenly Police Department is White. Hinnant also said she doesn’t think the police department supports Black people and she feels they often harass Black residents.

“I feel like they don’t want a Black woman over top of them, basically managing them or telling them what to do,” Hinnant said.

Studies show people in organizations often think Black women are more likely to have angry personalities, with studies also suggesting that this negative perception is a unique occurrence for Black women, according to the Harvard Business Review."

Other residents disagree that it's a race issue. But it still may be a misogyny issue. Still, I agree that waiting for the findings of the investigation is what's needed at this point. @hollydolly @Lavinia

I liked this quote in the article:

"...as a former employee of the town, I know how it works there," said Dawes. "I immediately knew, this is someone new. She doesn't know what, I call them, the 'off the books rules' are. Basically, when she came and got hired, she poked the bear by making him accountable."

"The mass exodus of an entire police department after the hiring of a Black town manager in North Carolina has opened a conversation about public safety and race relations in a small town of just over 1,500 residents.
Last week, the entire police department in Kenly, North Carolina, resigned, citing a "hostile" work environment less than two months after Justine Jones, a Black woman, began her role as the town's newly selected city manager."

"Alan "Chip" Hewett, Kenly's town attorney, told CNN that he will oversee an investigation conducted by an outside firm starting next week when all the resignations take effect."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/29/us/north-carolina-police-resign-black-city-manager-reaj/index.html
:(

so, it sounds like we all agree that the problem is with the police force, and that they are either racist or misogynists, or possibly both, and it could not in any way be the fault of the town manager because she is a woman of color, but we will wait to hear the facts to decide....

me too

maxresdefault.jpg

image.jpg

0919_centralnc_kenlypdjpg.jpg

images.jpg

police-chief-and-girl.jpg

There are a number of all white police departments that have not just Black but other minority police chiefs, town and city managers, mayors, etc, etc, etc and at worst the collective agrees to work together for the greater good. At best the leadership agrees to have the entire police department attend a sensitivity program. So I am quite sure everyone is waiting to hear what she has to say about these allegations. All I know is if I was hired by the powers that be and an entire police department resigned because of a hostile work environment I supposedly created I would be having a press conference and demanding documented proof.

IMHO the longer a person is the target of false allegations and has absolutely nothing to say then the powers that be should be searching for a more vocal and steadfast city manager.

www.police1.com/chiefs-sheriffs/articles/entire-nc-police-department-resigns-citing-toxic-work-environment-bWxBN5xL3gYtnYv9/

https://news.yahoo.com/a-north-caro...s-entire-police-force-resigned-224423896.html

www.newstimes.com.ng/who-is-justine-jones-entire-kenly-nc-police-department-resigns-what-happened/amp/

www.latestceleb.com/justine-jones-net-worth-age-biography-boyfriend-birthday-and-resignation/

www.townofkenly.com

www.city-data.com/city/Kenly-North-Carolina.html

www.city-data.com/forum/north-carolina/3371955-kenlys-entire-police-force-resigns.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenly,_North_Carolina

Last edited:
so, it sounds like we all agree that the problem is with the police force, and that they are either racist or misogynists, or possibly both, and it could not in any way be the fault of the town manager because she is a woman of color, but we will wait to hear the facts to decide....

me too
I don't know if we all agree about where the problem actually lies. The investigation should provide clarity as to where the blame lies.

Sad how everyone still jumps on the 'Racist' wagon! The obvious reason for the resignations was that she is a Judge!!! What cop wants to work for a Judge or a Lawyer either? None I know, as judges have no idea what really goes on with cops working the streets, even in a small town...and the frequently come down on the side other than where the police are....

I liked this quote in the article:

"...as a former employee of the town, I know how it works there," said Dawes. "I immediately knew, this is someone new. She doesn't know what, I call them, the 'off the books rules' are. Basically, when she came and got hired, she poked the bear by making him accountable."
Yeah, those darn "off the books rules"...don't get me started.

Back