Ever Block Someone And Then Regret It?

A disagreement and it seems like it always brought out the worst in us, each email got nastier so this time I took it a step further, I blocked them.

It felt sooooo good, I had the last word, but that good feeling lasted only a few days.

Upon sending an email with an apology and an offer to talk things out, I found they now had me blocked.

Anyone else do this and if so, how did it work out?
I just don't engage in arguments as it is never worth it. If someone gets troublesome I just avoid them. On Facebook I have blocked a few people in my time and felt nothing but relief.

I have managed for over 17 years on forums without blocking anybody and have zero intention of starting, as I am not that feeble. Really they are an old lady thing which exists on old people's forums who are addicted to forums, form cliques, think they are always right and have to be the number one voice and have developed the forum moaning syndrome.

I would say that sometimes it’s not about the person being blocked or placed on ignore, but at times it’s about the person who is doing the ignoring. In a way, a bit like sticking your fingers in your ears and saying Lalalalalalala… when someone is trying to communicate. Something I have only ever seen children do.

But saying that, I see two side of the coin here. There is the use of the ignore button, which a small minority do at an alarming rate, and then there is blocking someone due to direct harassment, which then should be dealt with in a different way. Reporting or some other thing perhaps?

Then other extreme is when a small minority use the ignore feature because they can’t handle what might in reality be a minor issue, and at times one that their own responses might have caused them to embarrass themselves within the discussion. Who then use the ignore feature to save face. Turning and using the ignore feature on the other person instead of reflecting on themselves.

We can find these types on ALL forums. I find they tend to be quite prolific in the use of this feature. Thankfully, I don’t seem to see much of it here. Or at least regarding the number of individuals who use it in this way.

I would say that sometimes it’s not about the person being blocked or placed on ignore, but at times it’s about the person who is doing the ignoring. In a way, a bit like sticking your fingers in your ears and saying Lalalalalalala… when someone is trying to communicate. Something I have only ever seen children do.

But saying that, I see two side of the coin here. There is the use of the ignore button, which a small minority do at an alarming rate, and then there is blocking someone due to direct harassment, which then should be dealt with in a different way. Reporting or some other thing perhaps?

Then other extreme is when a small minority use the ignore feature because they can’t handle what might in reality be a minor issue, and at times one that their own responses might have caused them to embarrass themselves within the discussion. Who then use the ignore feature to save face. Turning and using the ignore feature on the other person instead of reflecting on themselves.

We can find these types on ALL forums. I find they tend to be quite prolific in the use of this feature. Thankfully, I don’t seem to see much of it here. Or at least regarding the number of individuals who use it in this way.
You have posted it so well that I cannot improve on it, well I could but best not perhaps, why spoil the entertainment, we all need a laugh. Slight nip off-topic perhaps, but in a similar vein, notice that "No Politics" pops up at times. Not sure if it is specific threads or all the forum. Unusual on forums, but brilliant in my mind. Politics is the ultimate forum killer and the real breeding ground for the rise of the intolerant.

You have posted it so well that I cannot improve on it, well I could but best not perhaps, why spoil the entertainment, we all need a laugh. Slight nip off-topic perhaps, but in a similar vein, notice that "No Politics" pops up at times. Not sure if it is specific threads or all the forum. Unusual on forums, but brilliant in my mind. Politics is the ultimate forum killer and the real breeding ground for the rise of the intolerant.

I think that rule is for all the forum.

I really don’t have a problem with discussing politics; I can take it or leave it. But I think if we want a forum where people are forever blocking and ignoring each other, then introduce politics. If we want a forum where much, if not all, blocking & ignoring doesn’t happen, then keep politics out.

Political beliefs and values are often more in the core of a person than religion will ever be. With political beliefs, someone might just give a simple opinion, and someone on the other side of the fence might see that opinion as a personal attack; an attack on their identity. They may feel threatened in some way, when no attack was present. It seems at times that someone’s emotional connection with politics can be significantly stronger and deeper than any connection with any religion they might have.

Unfortunately, at times, this type of thing can find its way into none political discussions too. People see an attack when none was given. I think it sorts out the children from the adults. They then turn it into an issue about the other person, when the issue might be themselves.

Get two opposing people like this, and it can very quickly become world war 3 within a forum. Empathy and understanding goes straight out through the window, if there was ever any there in the first place. Where politics is concerned, friends suddenly become enemies when one learns of the political views of another.

Last edited:
yes anything that is close to our hearts like religion ; or birth control ; or even more so political beliefs and practices world wide - it goes on heh but must be ban all? how about a thread on tolerance ??

I think that rule is for all the forum.

I really don’t have a problem with discussing politics; I can take it or leave it. But I think if we want a forum where people are forever blocking and ignoring each other, then introduce politics. If we want a forum where much, if not all, blocking & ignoring doesn’t happen, then keep politics out.

Political beliefs and values are often more in the core of a person than religion will ever be. With political beliefs, someone might just give a simple opinion, and someone on the other side of the fence might see that opinion as a personal attack; an attack on their identity. They may feel threatened in some way, when no attack was present. It seems at times that someone’s emotional connection with politics can be significantly stronger and deeper than any connection with any religion they might have.

Unfortunately, at times, this type of thing can find its way into none political discussions too. People see an attack when none was given. I think it sorts out the children from the adults. They then turn it into an issue about the other person, when the issue might be themselves.

Get two opposing people like this, and it can very quickly become world war 3 within a forum. Empathy and understanding goes straight out through the window, if there was ever any there in the first place. Where politics is concerned, friends suddenly become enemies when one learns of the political views of another.
Quite brilliant MC, you have nailed it. In particular, in the second to last paragraph, I envy your writing skills not having had the benefit of an education thanks to Mr Hitler, but one tries one's best. The alternative it seems on some forums is to post only politics, which gives a person an immediate elevation to intelligent standing, even if the person is pasting total dribble from the most dubious of sources and people are leaving in droves. Never have quite understood people's lack of self-control and dubiously awarded self-importance and the demise of normality.
My wife and I at the moment are struggling with the virus, so slower than normal alas.

Quite brilliant MC, you have nailed it. In particular, in the second to last paragraph, I envy your writing skills not having had the benefit of an education thanks to Mr Hitler, but one tries one's best. The alternative it seems on some forums is to post only politics, which gives a person an immediate elevation to intelligent standing, even if the person is pasting total dribble from the most dubious of sources and people are leaving in droves. Never have quite understood people's lack of self-control and dubiously awarded self-importance and the demise of normality.
My wife and I at the moment are struggling with the virus, so slower than normal alas.

Interesting that you think that. As I believe I might be on someone's Ignore List, that in part has been described as a list of people who have nothing interesting to say. I'm hoping that I'm never taken off that list. Or at least if I am taken off the list later, then from a farness point of view, that person then sees the fairness of me then placing that person on ignore for an equal amount of time.

I think with political forums or threads, they only seem to work if they are already preaching to the converted, so to speak.

I hope you both get over the virus.

You’ve nailed it with this post…if I may add…

it's immature to blank a person without any attempt to communicate or resolve a problem.

You’ve nailed it with this post…if I may add…

it's immature to blank a person without any attempt to communicate or resolve a problem.
I think some people don't like confrontation and prefer to just make the situation go away by blocking. Sometimes an overly harsh comment is made or someone is continually posting gross or tacky comments and the best way to deal with it is to not see the posters comments any longer.

IMHO forum members should do what makes them comfortable.
If using the ignore option liberally makes someone's experience of SF pleasanter, they should go for it.
If never using the ignore button feels good, then that's fine, too.
As is everything in between.

It's not my place to make value judgments on how others choose to customize their SF experience and interactions.

I stopped using Facebook because there was so much rubbish on it. I just don't care if someone is in McD's with a friend! What makes them think that anybody cares?

I also tend to ignore people who use "text-speak" instead of writing properly.
Lost me, adding I use Facebook very little. Perhaps you choose to visit rubbish groups rather than groups that offer immense help with shared interests and information.

I was just blocked by an online friend on another site. No clue as to why. I always responded to messages. No disagreement. Just wish I knew what happened. If I have an “ issue “ with someone I talk about it with them. It’s kinda sad when you enjoyed their personality and humor. But it’s their choice.

I was just blocked by an online friend on another site. No clue as to why. I always responded to messages. No disagreement. Just wish I knew what happened. If I have an “ issue “ with someone I talk about it with them. It’s kinda sad when you enjoyed their personality and humor. But it’s their choice.
Maybe your friend clicked on something by mistake and didn't realize it. I've had finger "spasms" and touched a link or button by mistake.

Only time I can remember was the time I blocked someone on Facebook. That was 5 years ago. These days I am not on social media and I certainly don't miss it. However, here is the reason I blocked this lady named Linda. She had no life. Just kept posting stupid things. Here is an example.

9:00 - Sitting down to breakfast
9:15 - breakfast finished. I will now wash the dishes.
9: 17 - Got a phone call from.......?
9:25 - Dishes put away.
9:27 - Husband "X" just went outside.

Give me a break! Doesn't anybody have a life beyond Facebook and the constant posting of the smallest detail of their life? Apparently not! Should anyone care when she starts and finishes breakfast and how long it takes to do those dishes? It is worse then all those postings of dogs driving cars and cats going around in the dryer. There sure is a lot of mental problems in our society!

Only time I can remember was the time I blocked someone on Facebook. That was 5 years ago. These days I am not on social media and I certainly don't miss it. However, here is the reason I blocked this lady named Linda. She had no life. Just kept posting stupid things. Here is an example.

9:00 - Sitting down to breakfast
9:15 - breakfast finished. I will now wash the dishes.
9: 17 - Got a phone call from.......?
9:25 - Dishes put away.
9:27 - Husband "X" just went outside.

Give me a break! Doesn't anybody have a life beyond Facebook and the constant posting of the smallest detail of their life? Apparently not! Should anyone care when she starts and finishes breakfast and how long it takes to do those dishes? It is worse then all those postings of dogs driving cars and cats going around in the dryer. There sure is a lot of mental problems in our society!

I thought all over 50 forums were like that, riveting new threads such as "Which was around do you hang your toilet roll".

Back