Exoskeleton helps paralyzed people walk again

People paralyzed with spinal cord injuries can safely and effectively use an exoskeleton to assist them in walking, a new study finds.

"Participants showed improvement regardless of level of injury, completeness or duration of injury," said Gail Forrest, director of the Tim and Caroline Reynolds Center for Spinal Stimulation at Kessler Foundation in East Hanover, N.J.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/202...ps-paralyzed-people-walk-again/3971605719008/

I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of dollars one of them costs.

I guess if you're mega wealthy and become paralyzed, you'll be able to afford one.

Maybe in 20 years or so, they'll cost about as much as an economy car.

If cars are even still around by then....

It's wonderful that people are inventing ways to help the disabled. I'm puzzled by the fact that so many blind people still use guide dogs. I know there is now a walking stick equipped with radar which actually does a better job than a dog.

Science imitating art? I recall that there was a paralyzed hero in a movie called "Mantis" who used an exoskeleton to become powerful and fight evil. Ellen Ripley also memorably used a "power lifter" exoskeleton to equalize the odds when fighting the very formidable alien queen in "Aliens," the movie.-- Hooray for science!

Back