Face Masks

Mahatma

so during the recent Pandemic how do you all feel about face masks?... do you wear one when out or dont you, if not do you have a reason, for either wearing or not wearing

lol... i got mine off E-Bay when i got home from India, but my landlady in India gave me three paper ones, plus some surgical gloves, i wore both on my journey home... i havent been out since but am attending hospital on Wednesday, and shall test drive my E-Bay.. i bought two one for my son, who promptly gave it to his lady friend, smooth or what...

lol... i got mine off E-Bay when i got home from India, but my landlady in India gave me three paper ones, plus some surgical gloves, i wore both on my journey home... i havent been out since but am attending hospital on Wednesday, and shall test drive my E-Bay.. i bought two one for my son, who promptly gave it to his lady friend, smooth or what...

It wasn't too far in the past when a guy would give his lady friend flowers :p

We both wear "bandanas" to the grocery store...folded over twice and tied in the back. As I understand it the mask helps keep
your breathing and whatever inside so as not to possible infect someone else. Doubt that it protects the person wearing it much, though.
Since so many are a symptomatic, think that might be the primary reason for the masks...to help stop the community spread.

I'm waiting for masks I ordered on Amazon, but got a dozen or so paper masks from my daughter's dental office in the meantime.
I wear them along with gloves to the store when I go .... which isn't very often.

i'm glad to hear you all being so positive about the masks, i must admit i cant really see too many negatives about wearing them
some folks wont, and thats up to them ... i know there are many different grades of mask and most of us might be wearing the wrong ones
i remember many years ago a doctor once said to me wearing an asbestos glove is not a good reason for sticking your hand into a fire, in other words mask or no mask you all take care of you and yours...

Hope I don't get beat up over this post. According to KFI-690 radio on 4-13-2020, if you are an essential worker in an essential business, you need to wear a mask. If you go to an essential business, like the grocery store, post office, etc., you need to wear a mask or some kind of cloth that covers your mouth and nose. If you're just out for a walk, jog, bicycle ride, etc., you do NOT have to wear a mask. This is the latest as I know it here in Southern California, where you are may or may not be the same. Follow the directions of those in position to give those directions in the area where you are. Hope all of you are well and stay safe. Don...

I wear an improvised mask on my weekly trip to the grocery store.

I have no idea if it does any good but it certainly doesn't do any harm to follow the guidelines and recommendations offered by our local leaders.

I use this design that Marie posted in a different thread.

That scarf video AB offered up is pretty nifty. I just looked her up. Her name is Kristin Omdahl and she is an expert on fabrics and knitting etc. If one wanted to you could empty a few tea bags and unfold them and layer them in the scarf. Tea bags are made with nonwoven material but with all the layers in that scarf (I count six)I doubt it would make things safer.

Last edited:
I made a scarf from pillow covers....I washed and dried them....We cannot find masks anywhere here.
I really don't go to the store much...We have someone bring the packages to our home and they
drop it by our front door....I clean all and put in fridge or cabinet...They say you don't need to wipe
a frozen good for the freezer...But when I take it our of freezer, I clean it anyway....
By the way...If you make a scarf they say to put a coffee filter in side of the scarf....I didn't try it yet...

Hoorah for you! And what can we say about your son? Kids, huh?

My wife and I wear one on any necessary outing.

COVID-19 is spread by aerosol droplets, i.e. through the air. An unblocked cough or sneeze may spread the virus droplets 6 feet or more, and simply talking without a face mask may send droplets up to 3 feet. These droplets then land on nearby surfaces where they may be picked up by hands and fingers, then transmitted to a host by soiled fingers. The route of entry is through the mouth, nose and/or eyes.

Wearing a mask in public does little to protect the person wearing it, but rather protects those in public who may inadvertently pick a virus particle and become infected. It has been said that up to 50% of those infected are asymptomatic.

So, wearing a mask in public is an unselfish act to others IMO.

Here is a link to a video that shows how virus particles may be spread:

https://www.hpcwire.com/2020/04/08/supercomputer-modeling-tests-how-covid-19-spreads-in-grocery-stores/

We both wear "bandanas" to the grocery store...folded over twice and tied in the back. As I understand it the mask helps keep
your breathing and whatever inside so as not to possible infect someone else. Doubt that it protects the person wearing it much, though.
Since so many are a symptomatic, think that might be the primary reason for the masks...to help stop the community spread.
Hi, I made cloth bandanas out of pillow liners....I didn't use it yet...I also put a coffee paper liner in between...
Just to go to the store....Most people have bandanas and masks....People are very polite when you are walking
in an isle....we wait for the person who is trying to get their item off the shelf....
We cannot get masks until the end of the month...

Back