Facebook

I think Facebook is one of those things that have their uses, but you have to be very careful with. Mark Whatisname is the ruler of his own little kingdom and the power has rather gone to his head.

It was in the newspapers here yesterday, for being silly,
there is a dish in Birmingham, England, called Faggots
and Peas, they have threatened a group of women in
that area who have a group, of being banned if they
don't stop using inappropriate language in their discussion,
they were swapping the recipe, a Faggot is a meatball made
from offal.

Mike.

Although a semi-nerd from way back (e.g., put self through college working with big IBM computers in the early 1960's), I use neither Facebook nor Twitter. It seems like much of what you see and read on these "social" platforms is often a mixture of "let's pretend" and "look at me and my stuff" virtual behavior. Personally, I prefer real contact., which is admittedly more difficult these days.

Haven't been on Facebook for 6 months. Got fed up with those awful cats dancing, dogs driving cars & young people holding bottles of beer up to the cameras. Never been on Twitter but heard Donnie Trump loved it. Waiting for my daughter to come out this month completely delete my Facebook account.

Agreed! The thing that bothers me the most is those "People you might know" pictures. They have names in Hindi, Cyrillic, Hebrew, etc. My Facebook entertainment is deleting them all
Simple turn off the"People you might know"option!
i will have you know...i FINALLY found that frickin setting. lol! it was buried in the settings section. the dots never worked.

I belong to several forums on Facebook. Have been with them for years and enjoy the chatter and pictures. I spend way to much time on Facebook, but I’ve had a lot of time on my hands lately. COVID...I post many pictures daily and receive many comments on my posts. Some bad, mostly good. I stay away from the politics and other garbage.
any of those forums? any good on there?

No, I'm not on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. I was going to create a profile on Facebook until I read the Terms and Conditions and got to the part where it said that they have the right to use public IP content you post on a worldwide basis.

If I want to get in touch with family or friends I have a phone, encrypted mail service or we have video conversations.

No, I'm not on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. I was going to create a profile on Facebook until I read the Terms and Conditions and got to the part where it said that they have the right to use public IP content you post on a worldwide basis.

If I want to get in touch with family or friends I have a phone, encrypted mail service or we have video conversations.
Maybe I misunderstand you Glowworn, but you can set your profile for friends and family only. Not worldwide.

Maybe I misunderstand you Glowworn, but you can set your profile for friends and family only. Not worldwide.
No, I wasn't referring to personal settings, Facebook have the right to use material worldwide which is why I'd never create an account.

This is an extract from their Terms of Service

3. The permissions you give us
We need certain permissions from you to provide our services:
  1. Permission to use content you create and share:Some content that you share or upload, such as photos or videos, may be protected by intellectual property laws.

You own the intellectual property rights (things like copyright or trademarks) in any such content that you create and share on Facebook and the other Facebook Company Productsyou use. Nothing in these Terms takes away the rights you have to your own content. You are free to share your content with anyone else, wherever you want.

However, to provide our services we need you to give us some legal permissions (known as a ‘license’) to use this content. This is solely for the purposes of providing and improving our Products and services as described in Section 1 above.

Specifically, when you share, post, or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights on or in connection with our Products, you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, and worldwide license to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate, and create derivative works of your content (consistent with your privacy and application settings). This means, for example, that if you share a photo on Facebook, you give us permission to store, copy, and share it with others (again, consistent with your settings) such as service providers that support our service or other Facebook Products you use.This license will end when your content is deleted from our systems.
https://www.facebook.com/terms.php

I belong to several antique and vintage china and glassware groups. They are sometime helpful identifying items. Very reluctant to give appraisals, though. Some groups even forbid mentioning prices. I wonder why that is.

I get frustrated every time I log in to Facebook. It constantly freezes, so I rarely go there. Yet, I know people who seem to be constant users .. maybe it's my security settings. No matter, since I don't really like it much.

Just remembered long ago before the advent MyFaceSpaceBook there was something, maybe on Yahoo, where people could create their own websites. Scrolling through the numerous "under construction" pages where they obviously got bored and quit, I came across the ultimate "Me Me and All About Me". I stopped being interested at that point.:rolleyes:

I really like Facebook !
It is how I keep in contact with my friends and family, most of whom live in Washington State, or Idaho, and I seldom travel that far to actually visit.
We all have Apple devices, so we do sometimes use FaceTime or just chat with iMessages.

One of the things that I love about Facebook, is all of the groups that you can join. I belong to some political groups, some health and diet groups, some history groups, and some that are for north Idaho, to keep me up to date on news out there.

I have unfollowed everyone on my friend list except for my 3 kids, so I do not get all of the jokes and trivia that gets posted, and I just go to their timeline and check out how people are doing. I do get the list of people they think I might know, but I mostly ignore it.

I also have a Twitter account, but I use that basically to follow political information, and news updates.

Back