Faith in Humanity

Faith in humanity, to do what, exactly????

No faith in our species. We are an evolutionary experiment, as all living things are. We had the very real potential to make a true heaven, here on Earth, courtesy of our developed brains and skill sets.

Instead, we spent huge amounts of time killing each other in the name of various "beings," showing unimaginable cruelty to our own kind and other life forms, fouled our nest, water, air, showed no control in our inexorable push to overpopulate the planet, let our self-centered, self-absorbed nature ruin the lives of those we supposedly loved, etc.,etc.,etc.

Yeah, we have shown the greatness we are capable of, as a species. We have produced wonders in the arts, sciences, technological fields. Sure. Trouble is, taken on a scale of 2-300,000 years of existence, the atrocities we committed, the evils done, far outweigh the great good brought to this planet during our time on it. The pluses are all the more precious for the overwhelming number of minuses.

Again, we are an evolutionary experiment. The dinosaurs ruled this planet for around 165 million years. They coexisted, peacefully (predation notwithstanding), with millions of evolving lifeforms. Environmental catastrophes did them in, through no fault of their own. H. sapiens' reign has been around 2-300,000 years, depending on which science journal you currently follow. In that time, we have moved, ever closer, to the end of our time on this planet. Are there many/any of you who think we'll still be around, as a species, come the year 3000?

Do you have faith in humanity to rise above its demonstrated bent on, apparent, self-destruction?

Last edited:
What is "humanity"? Made up of individual human beings. I have found faith in many individual humans. If you look in a mirror and see nothing but bad, then maybe improvement needs to start with that man in the mirror.

What is "humanity"? Made up of individual human beings. I have found faith in many individual humans. If you look in a mirror and see nothing but bad, then maybe improvement needs to start with that man in the mirror.

Beautifully said! So true so true we need to look in the mirror!

I think thread questions like this can help us to focus on the good that is happening in the world. Now that might sound hollow if you live in a country with monthly mass shootings. But cant good even come from tragic events? The brave first responders. The ones who support victims families. I jnow when my mother was dying of cancer at age 66 friends and extended family came out of the woodwork to visit her in Hospital. At least in her last days she was surrounded by love.

Given that Michael Jackson probably wrote / sang this about his guilt over molesting young boys, I find it hard to draw inspiration from this song. I agree with its sentiments, but his personal sins against children (which he continued after releasing this song) make it impossible for me to listen to it without great anger.

Given that Michael Jackson probably wrote / sang this about his guilt over molesting young boys, I find it hard to draw inspiration from this song. I agree with its sentiments, but his personal sins against children (which he continued after releasing this song) make it impossible for me to listen to it without great anger.

As far as I know, Michael Jackson was never found guilty of any improprieties with children, even when tried for the same. What did I miss? Please let me know where I can find the conclusive proof you have accessed, concerning what you asserted in your reply. Thanks!

Until I read the conclusive proof you are privy to, I'll stick with this:
https://www.npr.org/2019/03/05/6999...a-quarter-century-of-sexual-abuse-allegations

TreeGuy: There is no conclusive proof, however there was an awful lot of creepy behavior that is typically employed by sexual predators who target children, plus reports by the boys themselves. Sexually and emotionally healthy grown men do not share beds with prepubescent boys. That NPR article is far from an exoneration.

Where there's smoke there's fire. And there was plenty of smoke.

Olivia: Thank you for the clarification. I thought he wrote it.

TreeGuy: There is no conclusive proof, however there was an awful lot of creepy behavior that is typically employed by sexual predators who target children, plus reports by the boys themselves. Sexually and emotionally healthy grown men do not share beds with prepubescent boys. That NPR article is far from an exoneration.

Where there's smoke there's fire. And there was plenty of smoke.

Olivia: Thank you for the clarification. I thought he wrote it.

That NPR article is also far from proving, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Micheal Jackson molested anyone. It's a cheap shot to operate on an assumption that a deceased individual is guilty as charged, when no proof exists, and the accused is not able to defend himself against his crawling-out-of-the-woodwork-now-that-he's-dead accusers. Of course, ignoring the absolute fact that he was found innocent, in a court of law, is also very unfair

Its proof enough for me if he slept with children and evidently he said he did so that's it for me. When my girls were little 3 or 4 years old and had a bad dream they would get in my bed to finish the night. As they got older I would hug them and put them back in their bed and promise to stay by them until they went back to sleep. There us a difference in that and grown men sleeping with young boys, molesting them and then paying them off when they were older and trying to tell their stories. Do I have first hand proof? No but I don't need it. If it walks like a duck, etc!!

Back