Fall 2020

Great question. Put my sandals and most summer shoes , dresses etc. away. Bring out autumn wear.

Start making more soups and slow cooking foods in the crock pot.

Buy bright yellow chrysanthemums for the outside of our house. Put the Christmas lights up before the snow comes.

Harvest my buds and hang them to dry before curing them.

Get out all the doggie coats and sweaters.

Put winter tires on.
Correction: bribe or nag my dear husband to do it for me 🤭😅

Start baking pies and sweet breads.

Start raking leaves and cleaning the gutters.

Prune clematis , lilac bushes and wild rose bush

Disinfect greenhouse

Put all the garden tools in the shed for the winter ( bike, mowers etc )

Plant spring bulbs

Drink hot Cocoa

Slippers. Oh yes. That’s probably the very first thing to change. That hardwood floor is a bit chilly on the toes in the morning. I scoop my husbands bathrobe when he goes to work 🥰
It's amazing, isn't it, how so many of us crave shedding the layers come spring, but the instant fall rolls around, out come the thick and fluffy socks, the slippers, the housecoats and bathrobes, and whatever else keeps us warm and cozy.

Another fall to early spring change of mine, hot baths! 🛀 🐤

Ok, after reading some of the post above, I am seriously ready for some hot chocolate.

The first thing on my Fall agenda is to take down the hummingbird feeders a couple of days after the night of the first full moon in October. All of the females will head South after that. And you know us males, we don't always get the memo and the male Ruby Throated hummingbirds will hang around wondering what happened before they head South as well.

I live in Central Florida. Five days from now will still be summer. Nothing will change. October will still be summer.

Some time in November I might wear some jeans in the evening. Or maybe not.

I have two sweatshirt jackets that come in handy in January for a few days. I have an actual winter coat stuffed in the back of a closet that can be dragged out in the unlikely event I get on a plane and get off in the frozen North.

Fall? HA!

I live in Central Florida. Five days from now will still be summer. Nothing will change. October will still be summer.

Some time in November I might wear some jeans in the evening. Or maybe not.

I have two sweatshirt jackets that come in handy in January for a few days. I have an actual winter coat stuffed in the back of a closet that can be dragged out in the unlikely event I get on a plane and get off in the frozen North.

Fall? HA!
Same here in Houston. I wear shorts year round so no wardrobe changes. I did buy a new fall wreath for the front door, though.

I get the urge to do a little cooking.

Move the plants away from the radiator/window.

Bundle up until they turn the heat on in my apartment.

Make an appointment to winterize my vehicle and get the studded snow tires mounted on October 16th.

But mostly I just relax and enjoy it!

images

Well, the weather began changing down the shore on Monday, so I did some home made meals for my son to eat for awhile. I made 4 pot roast dinners, one meat loaf dinner, 4 pots of beef barley stew. He has enough fresh salad for a week and I boiled up a huge bowl of shrimp for him. I also made a hugh batch of my homemade pasta sauce with hot Italian sausage. Most of these things are in the freezer. I made sure he's got fruit and vegetables and preprepared chicken. I'll go home and make my own soups, and just goof off for the 14 days quarantine facing me as I dared leave the facility. It's okay, I'll get out my fall clothes. Just have summer ones with me.

We had a camping trip planned with friends to the Smokies.
They set aside a day in Cades Cove were it is closed to automobile traffic~bikes only. We were so looking forward to taking our electric bikes down in the Cove. Of course, that's all off now. Our friends are up there camping. Maybe they'll send photos.
I hope we'll be able to go to my favorite orchard and get some apples, before the season is over. There is nothing like orchard apples in the autumn.
We can light a fire in the wood burning fireplace outside, as soon as the nights are cool enough.
The woods change leaf colors, which I'm looking forward to. I love Autumn.

Officially Autumn starts on the 22nd of Septemeber here.. but really it will still be summer for a while. Once Autumn does kick in, usually by the end of October and it starts to get chilly at night and dark by around 6pm .. but now I've retired I really don't really do a lot different , except put the heating on in the evenings, or maybe even the early mornings...and I always make home-made ham and vegetable soup.

Hubs hates driving to work in the dark and driving home in the dark...

What I love to do is go and take photos before all the leaves fall from the trees..sometimes that can be just a matter of days depending on how strong the winds are

best-autumn-picture-copy.jpg

I just hung a new fall wreath outside my kitchen window.

Condo living doesn't allow for gardening so a potted plant on the deck will be tossed

I will put a pumpkin on the front step.

I make homemade soup all year and I can slow cook in the oven or stove top for that matter if I want to wait all day. Can anyone guess I don't like crock pots? :ROFLMAO:

In my area, the city has garden plots set aside that people can sign up for. A few people in our condo association do that and then they end up with way too many vegetables and have to try give them away. :)

Tony

Like other areas even though the calendar says fall it won't really change that much until mid October. There may be a few chilly mornings but probably not that many.

I'll stop wearing shorts when the mornings get cool enough. Also I'll have to pay more attention to the weather reports around mid October because that's when we can start to get rainy periods again.

I'll eventually have to light the wall heater again and we'll have to start using it in the mornings.

I'll also have to start wearing a sweater or fleece here at home on cold days in the mornings. When it gets really cold (for here, it will still be relatively mild compared to many areas) I'll wear gloves and sometimes a knit cap when taking the dogs for their walk in the morning.

Back