Fauci: 'We need to assume now' that British virus strain can 'cause more damage'

Becky1951

🌹
Fauci: 'We need to assume now' that British virus strain can 'cause more damage'

Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious diseases expert, said recent data reported by the British government suggests a new, more virulent strain of the coronavirus is also more deadly but that U.S. officials need to examine the numbers themselves.

Asked by CBS's Margaret Brennan about his earlier claims that the strain, while more infectious, was apparently no deadlier, Fauci said, "The data that came out was after they had been saying all along that it did not appear to be more deadly, so that's where we got that information."

"When the British investigators looked more closely at the death rate of a certain age group, they found that it was one per thousand ... and then it went up to 1.3 per thousand in a certain group," Fauci added. "That's a significant increase. So the most recent data is in accord with what the Brits are saying. We want to look at the data ourselves, but we have every reason to believe them. They're a very competent group."

Fauci went on to say Americans "need to assume now that what has been circulating dominantly in the U.K. does have a certain increase in what we call virulence, namely the power of the virus to cause more damage, including death."

Fauci separately addressed another strain believed to have originated in South Africa, saying that "in some cases [the strain] diminishes the efficacy of the vaccine" but that the vaccine was still generally effective.

VIRUS MUTANTS: Dr. Anthony Fauci tells @margbrennan that the #Covid19 variant found in South Africa has a “negative impact” on some antibody therapies. In *some* cases it “diminishes the efficacy of the vaccine,” but he stresses that the vaccine remains effective over all.

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday...-now-that-british-virus-strain-can-cause-more

However, the one ray of sunshine (sort of) is that the vaccine seems to work equally well against the new strain.
It "seems to"?

As far as I'm concerned we have yet to be furnished with conclusive data that the vaccines currently being administered are a success (for anything), so how can you boast that the newly found variant strain is also covered through the current vaccines, Sunny?

Where is the confirmed data on that?

All the information we have been given so far on these vaccines have all included these reassuring (Sarcasm) comments.

"It could", "It might" "Maybe", "Its possible", "It should", "No current data", "Until we have more data", "It seems".

All the information we have been given so far on these vaccines have all included these reassuring (Sarcasm) comments.

"It could", "It might" "Maybe", "Its possible", "It should", "No current data", "Until we have more data", "It seems".
That's how I see it, too, Becky.

"We think", "we feel confident", "we don't see why it won't", "we're pretty sure", "everything is pointing in the direction of it working"... all empty words IMO.

So far the only thing I believe... no one knows a darned thing.

We are certainly in "uncharted waters" with this Corona Virus, and the speed at which it is spreading, and the rush to create vaccines is leaving us with a lot of questions. About all we can do, currently, is trying to follow the mask/distancing guidelines, and hope that these vaccines Are the answer. At the pace these inoculations are being given, it may be months before the bulk of the population is vaccinated, and then, we may have to wait many more months....perhaps years....to see if there any lingering "side effects".

It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

It's true that this is a "work in progress;" how could it be otherwise with such a new virus and an even newer vaccine. All we have to go on is what seems to be true. If the new strain requires a new vaccine, we'll get one.

Sort of what happens every year with the flu shot. The virus keeps mutating, and the vaccine keeps changing, year by year.

I got the Covid vaccine Friday, and feel at least somewhat protected, certainly a lot more than I would be without it. Whether it will protect me against any and all variants that the Covid demons may conjure up, remains to be seen. But in any case, having partial protection is certainly better than no protection at all!

Back