Favorite pies

I'm curious if any of you have regional specialties like Shoofly Pie, Black Bottom Pie, Maple Pie, etc

I can't think of one for my area but I enjoy the ones listed above.

Aunt Bea——-Both Shoofly Pie and Montgomery Pie come from the Amish. The Amish have a rather large community in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, which is just a few miles up the road. My wife likes Shoofly Pie, but only if it has the wet bottom, not sure what that is because I have only tried it and didn’t like it.

Another local favorite, which again, I don’t like is Mincemeat Pie, which I believe is English, but the Pennsylvania Dutch has laid claim to it.

My mother in law (may she RIP) made fabulous pies. I was the only one in the family who liked mince pie and she made one for me every TG and Christmas along with apple, pumpkin, banana cream, and whatever else struck her fancy. 💝

Favorite pies:
Mince (obvs)
Blueberry - as Patio Life said: light on the syrup, heavy on the fruit
Peanut Butter
Strawberry

I’ve never heard of a chess pie?

It's a southern thing. ......... "Grannie, what kind of pie is that?" "Oh, it's jes pie." Essentially it;s just a vanilla custard baked in a pie shell usually sprinkled with cinnamon. Fans of baked custard or flan would probably love it

You haven't missed anything...it's disgusting!
OMG, I thought the "Kidney" part was Kidney Beans. Is it real Kidneys?
Well, that brings back memories. When I was around 12, my piano teacher's husband considered himself a great chef & he always wanted me to try whatever he cooked. It was usually pretty bad but I liked him, so I always said it was great. He was Romanian & fun to talk to.
Once, he wanted me to try "Sweet Bread." I said, "Great; I love bread." But when he opened the oven, I saw what looked like shriveled up sausages & it smelled weird. I asked, "What kind of bread is that?" When he told me what it was, I said, "Uh....no thanks....I'm not hungry," & walked out of the kitchen. He started cussing me out in Romanian. His wife & I LOL'd for 15 minutes.

Last edited:
I don't like too sweet stuff. Key lime pie is good, but my favorite has always been apple. And in my ripe old 70's age, I've made a pie for the first time and loved it. Sadly, it adds weight and have to seldom eat pies. Here's a you-tube video, Jennie is funny and her recipe is delicious, be sure to watch video even if just for the fun of it :p=

I don't like too sweet stuff. Key lime pie is good, but my favorite has always been apple. And in my ripe old 70's age, I've made a pie for the first time and loved it. Sadly, it adds weight and have to seldom eat pies. Here's a you-tube video, Jennie is funny and her recipe is delicious, be sure to watch video even if just for the fun of it :p=

Jenny has awesome recipes on YouTube delicious

This time of year, my mom usually made green tomato pie with her mother-in-law's recipe. I haven't made it in a while - I have trouble finding green tomatoes. Here is her recipe:

3 Tbsps. flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice
3 cups green tomatoes, sliced very thinly
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon

2 unbaked pie crusts

Place one pie crust in the bottom of a 9” pie dish. Mix flour and 1 Tbsp. of the sugar together. Sprinkle over bottom of pie crust in pan. Add tomato slices. Mix together remaining sugar, salt and spices. Sprinkle over tomatoes. Dot with butter. Sprinkle with vinegar (or juice). Cover with top the other crust and crimp to seal. Make a few slices in top crust. Bake at 350o for 1 hour. Hint: This pie tends to boil over, so you might want to place a piece of foil on the rack below the pie while baking.

iu

That looks delicious! Recipe, please. I used to love Marie Callender's pot pie, but since I became a vegetarian in 1984 I gave up on pot pies. Lately I've been frantically looking for a vegetarian one. I'm on a ''pot pie binge'' lately and am trying them all until I find one or two keepers. My problem is what to substitute for chicken. Any recommendations are welcome!

I am looking for a flaky crust recipe

Oil Pastry:

2 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 T. cold water or more if needed

Sift together flour and salt. Pour oil and water into measuring cup, but don’t stir. Add all at once to flour and salt mixture. Stir slightly with a fork. Form into 2 balls; flatten dough slightly. Roll each ball between two 12″ square pieces of wax paper. When dough is rolled into a circle to edges of paper, it will be the right thickness for the crust. Peel of the top sheet of waxed paper and fit the dough, paper side up into either an 8″ or 9″ pie plate. Peel off second sheet of waxed paper. Set crust aside. Roll second dough ball the same as the first. Set second crust aside.

I always use the evil Crisco to make pie crust.

2 cups AP flour
1 t salt
1 cup Crisco
1/4 cup of ice water.

Mix flour and salt cut in Crisco until crumbly, add ice water and work quickly into a ball.

"Crisco'll do you proud every time." - Loretta Lynn

Well if you and Loretta Lynn endorse it I can’t say no! 😋

Back