Fear of Flying .. or Driving

Nope, I enjoy both. However I have been with a few drivers I feared...

A different question, and I agree it can vary from irritating to awful. I find myself driving more of the shorter trips to avoid the airport.

Through the tunnel or over St Bernard pass? I've done both, but more often the tunnel.
Here in the U.S., it’s a big deal driving up and down Pikes Peak. I absolutely enjoyed it.

Never done it, but someday I hope to.
Start at Colorado Springs and be sure to make a reservation and buy your ticket(s) online.
Buy Tickets

When I flew over the Rockies and it was a clear day with low winds. I would sometimes get vectors to fly over Pikes Peak to give my passengers a look at it, especially if my destination was Denver. I think I probably sold a lot of tickets for them. Many passengers would thank us for flying over it and say they were going to add that to their list of things to do while there on vacation.

Start at Colorado Springs and be sure to make a reservation and buy your ticket(s) online.
Buy Tickets
Thanks, I will do that. Having to get tickets or reservations to get into parks is getting more common.

I recently ran into that problem trying to figure out a place to take the grandkids next week for spring break. First I tried Lehman Caves but they were 100% booked, then Arches and they were booked also. However I found that you don't need an Arches reservation to drive in between the hours of 4 pm and 7 am, so I guess we'd do an afternoon trip there. Canyonlands has no reservation requirements, yet, so we'll go there too.

I was a passenger on Royal Air Maroc to Casablanca, Morocco. When we were approaching the Strait of Gibraltar, a strong front with high turbulence met us head on. We were tossed around that sky like a small toy. Of course Casablanca was closed as was Rabat, but we were lucky enough to outrun this thing and land in Marrakesh. My only fear during this incident, was the plane breaking apart at some point. I then boarded a smaller plane to my destination in Agadir.

I was a passenger on Royal Air Maroc to Casablanca, Morocco. When we were approaching the Strait of Gibraltar, a strong front with high turbulence met us head on. We were tossed around that sky like a small toy. Of course Casablanca was closed as was Rabat, but we were lucky enough to outrun this thing and land in Marrakesh. My only fear during this incident, was the plane breaking apart at some point. I then boarded a smaller plane to my destination in Agadir.
How did you like Casablanca? You didn't run into Bogart, did you?

I flew a lot in the Air Force going TDY and never minded it. The airport hassle when flying commercial is stressful as mentioned. Since I don't have one of those "super duper" IDs, I'll probably never fly again and really don't care to anyway.

I enjoy driving and the motorcycling done in the past.

It is a tourist trap, Been There. No, Bogie was long gone, but Rick's Place is alive and kicking if you wish to pay the prices. I have friends in Agadir who owned a private club on the Atlantic, so loved to vacation there. Lovely place.
I like Rick's Café and Le Sqala, which I thought had closed. One of my Sergeants and I had dinner there and he had his pocket picked. They are great with doing that. I think he lost over U.S. $400.

Back in the 70’s and earlier, there were three pilots in the cockpit. There was a Captain, a First Officer and a Navigator. As time moved forward and technology advanced, passenger aircraft gained more and more safety equipment, meaning warning systems, so the airline cut it back to two people in the cockpit. Pilots have a lot of warnings in today’s aviation. Aviation advanced thanks to NASA for a lot of innovations.

Ya know, I’m of a mind that if it’s your time to go, it’s your time to go. I’m pretty sure it’s more dangerous to get on the freeway than to get on a plane. Having said that, I always close my eyes and say a prayer during takeoff and landing. It’s worked so far. 😜

Not going to fly, and I am supposed to have a second driving lesson on Monday.....we shall see how that goes, the first one did not go well.
Most new drivers just need to relax behind the wheel. There’s too much running through your mind and you may be trying to remember all of of it. Relax and take it one step at a time. Don’t worry about the other drivers. Everyone is in a hurry, so having a horn blowing is no big deal. Give it no mind, unless the vehicle that is blowing the horn also has red lights on it.

No problem with flying and only one incidence driving. I was touring China by motorcycle in 2007 and we rode through the mountains. The roads were gravely, narrow and no fencing on the side with the drop off. I approached this one curve that got sharper and sharper the more I entered it. I leaned further and farther until I really feared I'd lay it down. It got really scary. Finally it straightened out and I entered a pretty straight stretch. I was very careful entering curves at a slower speed after that.

This is getting horrifying. I was here a month ago, gave all kinds of thumbs up and don't remember doing so! :confused:

My first experience with flying was a trip on a turbo prop from Halifax to Toronto via. Fredericton, NB. Plane set down in Fredericton, and took one big leap, scaring me out of my wits. Overcame that, but when we neared Toronto we started circling because there was a problem with the landing gear! We finally got down to the ground safely, but it wasn't a good first impression!

I have been a white knuckle flyer ever since! Strangely enough (a good psychologist might have an answer to this) I am fairly relaxed during the most dangerous times, take offs and landings, but am terrified while we are up there! The plane seems to stand still, while one is over the ocean, and I expect it to drop out of the sky at any moment! :LOL:

I'm firmly convinced that the only thing that gets (and keeps) that plane in the air is the degree of whiteness in my knuckles as they clutch the arm rest.

No, I'm really not particularly "scared" of flying but it's not fun any more. I do like looking down at the ground and seeing the mountains, rivers, lakes, towns, etc. I love to fly at night and see the clusters of lights, too.

I've only been on one plane that had engine troubles and that when I was 10. We had to make an unscheduled stop and change planes.

And once, I was firmly convinced that the small 20-passenger plane I was flying in was going to go down in the Turkish mountains during a bad storm. We were tossing from side to side and things were coming loose and rolling around the plane. It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been clutching a week-old baby and sitting on a sore bottom.

Me too (Pikes Peak), but isn't it now covered in asphalt all the way to the top? Always think of Ari Vatanen's Climb Dance video when I think of Pikes Peak.
Yes, but it's still a spectacular drive. Make sure the car is in good shape, don't ride the brakes and don't speed. Or you could take the train to the top for more fun.

https://www.cograilway.com/?gad=1&g...cSjNqh_i5uSDofUVyjRoC9KwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The round trip train ride is about three hours (one hour up, 40 minutes at the Summit, and one hour and 10 minutes back down to the Depot), so arriving 30 minutes ahead of time means it's about a four-hour experience.

Back