Feeding The local Birds

Something I used to do often in winter, before I sold my house, was put all the clothes dryer lint deposits outside on a table or someplace the birds could see it ...
usually near a feeder.

They always gathered it up, and took it for their nests.
That’s a great idea. Thanks for sharing it. I will do that this winter.

We have large flocks of them. We set up a few feeders. Watching them is a real treat. We have nesting hummingbirds all around us. They become very possessive over the feeders: zipping in and out and making the cutest sounds.
View attachment 334799View attachment 334800View attachment 334801
So beautiful, I love hummers, sadly I have not seen any in the past week, but I know they are also fed by many of my neighbours.

My husband used to love feeding the pigeons in our back yard. It was like an Alfred Hitchcock movie scene, "The Birds." Every morning and afternoon there they were there sitting on the fence, waiting, waiting. There was a great flutter and feathers flying everywhere and then they were gone. After my husband died, I never went outside to feed them, and they were gone forever. I think they sensed that he was never coming back. When this happened the rats never came back as well. Good riddance to them, they were disgusting.

I"m hearing the theme song for Mission Impossible.

I've avoided using feeders in hopes of growing enough useful plants that they wouldn't be missed. But beyond that we just don't have views into the garden from the house so we're not missing intimate views. But I'm enjoying seeing and learning about what I'm missing out on.

Last edited:
I bought a 5 Pound Bag Of Peanuts for squirrels but Cardinals and Blue Jays hit it harder than the squirrels.
I only put some out every few days ... and 5 pounds of peanuts is a lot of peanuts that last a good long while.
On the back of the package it states, "This product is only intended for feeding wild birds and wildlife."
It's a great source of protein, fat and crude fiber for them.

So beautiful, I love hummers, sadly I have not seen any in the past week, but I know they are also fed by many of my neighbours.
It’s too early here also. Those pics are from last year. We don’t get them here until May-ish. We do track their migratory flight from the Gulf of Mexico though. The hummers are the most entertaining bird of all the ones we get.

My husband used to love feeding the pigeons in our back yard. It was like an Alfred Hitchcock movie scene, "The Birds." Every morning and afternoon there they were there sitting on the fence, waiting, waiting. There was a great flutter and feathers flying everywhere and then they were gone. After my husband died, I never went outside to feed them, and they were gone forever. I think they sensed that he was never coming back. When this happened the rats never came back as well. Good riddance to them, they were disgusting.
So sorry for your loss. If nobody is feeding them, they leave quickly and it’s true that the food attracts unwanted animals. We store ours in the garage which is quite a ways from the house.

I bought a 5 Pound Bag Of Peanuts for squirrels but Cardinals and Blue Jays hit it harder than the squirrels.
I only put some out every few days ... and 5 pounds of peanuts is a lot of peanuts that last a good long while.
On the back of the package it states, "This product is only intended for feeding wild birds and wildlife."
It's a great source of protein, fat and crude fiber for them.
The jays love peanuts 🥜 as do the squirrels. At our old house we used to feed them nuts with the shell on them. The jays are the only birds that act like you’re trying to steal their food. Plus they are really loud. My husband once asked his father how he could stand the noise from city traffic and his answer was how do you handle those squawking blue jays. Lol They can be excessively loud.

Our chippies loved the peanuts

So much so, I built a little chipnic table

Fun watching their deshelling process
The little connoisseurs would turn it all around, sniff and turn
Then start on the desired end

5gu9I3z.jpg

qtmuS8L.jpg

qp7rwD0.jpg

YW97B25.jpg

Tv9CFwi.jpg

zxXasun.jpg

P7RKg6e.jpg

Viojmmc.jpg

I just saw some chickadees at my feeder and yesterday a large Blue jay was eating there- but I have to empty the feed for them as this time of year the bears come out. There is a bear den on the hill that is next to mine. One year I saw the mother and two cubs run out of the den.
Bears can smell seeds from a distance they say- but I think they watch where the birds land to feed. A bear tore up my metal suet feeder like it was plastic, years ago.

Yes, we've been feeding birds during the year, provided indications are that bears likely won't come in for the suet or sunflower seeds. At our feeders, we get mostly chickadees, nuthatches, goldfinches, pine siskins, Stellar's jays, and red-shafted flickers. Very occasionally a red-wing blackbird. (Ravens also come in, but only to raid our compost piles.)

We've also at times put up a hummingbird feeder, although in the last few years they'll come into our side garden or onto our deck for red-colored flowers.

Some years ago our MaineCoon cat liked to hunt a bird now & then, but he's always been far more interested in catching mice. On the basis of evidence, the cat's ratio of mice killed to birds, overall, has been roughly 15:1 (maybe even 20:1). Two or three years back, he occasionally caught a hummingbird on the deck... seemed to be just a phase, as apparently he's quit doing it.

Yes, we've been feeding birds during the year, provided indications are that bears likely won't come in for the suet or sunflower seeds. At our feeders, we get mostly chickadees, nuthatches, goldfinches, pine siskins, Stellar's jays, and red-shafted flickers. Very occasionally a red-wing blackbird. (Ravens also come in, but only to raid our compost piles.)

We've also at times put up a hummingbird feeder, although in the last few years they'll come into our side garden or onto our deck for red-colored flowers.

Some years ago our MaineCoon cat liked to hunt a bird now & then, but he's always been far more interested in catching mice. On the basis of evidence, the cat's ratio of mice killed to birds, overall, has been roughly 15:1 (maybe even 20:1). Two or three years back, he occasionally caught a hummingbird on the deck... seemed to be just a phase, as apparently he's quit doing it.
I had to look up pine siskins. I’m not sure we get those. They look so similar to gold finches.

Pine siskins

IMG_4036.jpeg

Gold finch

IMG_4037.jpeg

Back