Fellow Night Owls

MarciKS

Tired of being treated like crap here.
I don't know about anyone else but, I've spent my whole life being a night owl. It started as a baby. Mother says I screamed from midnight to 6 a.m. every day for a while. I've always gone to bed late. I can't work mornings because I don't get sleep enough to function for the employer. Is there anyone else that's usually about at night?

I don't know about anyone else but, I've spent my whole life being a night owl. It started as a baby. Mother says I screamed from midnight to 6 a.m. every day for a while. I've always gone to bed late. I can't work mornings because I don't get sleep enough to function for the employer. Is there anyone else that's usually about at night?
Yes, I often am. Glad to see another fellow night owl.

Many here seem to go to sleep when the sun sets or there abouts.

Good to see all of you. I often can't sleep. Whenever I'm off the next day I usually stay up. Anymore, it's uncomfortable to sleep.

Plus I'm taking breaks between my writing project things to think and get ideas. Do research and such.

I became a night owl after retirement, when I no longer had to get up at 6:00am.
I have severe tinnitus which is much worse when it's quiet & I need the TV on at low volume for 30 minutes before I can fall asleep.
And, with diabetes, my blood sugar will swing up & down while I'm sleeping, which causes symptoms that can make falling asleep impossible. Sometimes it will get too low, which causes a rapid, pounding heart & shortness of breath. Then I have to eat sugar & it can take most of the night to feel normal.....or it will then get too high & cause the same symptoms.
A few times per month, I'll be up all night & just sleep a little earlier the next night. I'll read a book, play my piano, or (if it's not too cold) go outside where I feed 4 raccoons. They're fun to watch.

I'm a night owl , been a night owl all my life since a small child, so I had to be very strict my whole working life to try and get enough sleep to be never late for work in the morning, the first hour I would drag myself around like a zombie...very difficult because my body just didn't and doesn't still want to shut down at 10 or 11pm to be up for 5 or 6am

However on here as I'm on a very different time zone to those who are not in the UK , my nights are still most people's early evenings and some people's mornings.. I try to be in bed now by 2am, because although I'm retired now , hubs is still working full time... so I can't do anything at night that would make any noise and disturb him, so working on the computer is all I can do..., so I am trying to train my body to get to bed earlier..

Last edited:
I am lucky, I am an all rounder, never have trouble
sleeping whatever the time, day or night, I was on
nightshift for 3 years at one time 6 nights a week.

I will stay awake late if I need to, I will also get up
very early.

Mike.

One of the things I looked forward to in retirement was to go to bed when I darned well pleased and get up when I darn well pleased. And I darn well like to stay up late and sleep late. I've seen the sunrise...….it was lovely and all that but I don't need to re-enjoy it every frickin' morning, do I?

The Spousal Equivalent is an early-to-bed and early-to-rise type; his bedtime is 9:30 on the dot. This gives me peace and quiet at night (no political programs on TV) and gives him peace and quiet in the mornings (he gets to listen to his political programs without me moaning "are you watching that cr@p again????"

Win/win!

@win231 Quote: "I need the TV on at low volume for 30 minutes before I can fall asleep."

~*~
I sometimes sleep better with a show playing on the pc or music coming from it as opposed to just trying to sleep and I don't have tinnitus.

@win231 Quote: "I need the TV on at low volume for 30 minutes before I can fall asleep."

~*~
I sometimes sleep better with a show playing on the pc or music coming from it as opposed to just trying to sleep and I don't have tinnitus.
when I first got married , I had to do the same thing. I'd come from a very large noisy family , and I just couldn't sleep because of the quiet.. so for several years I had to sleep with the tv or radio on. Now however, I'm extremely sensitive to noise , and I can literally hear a pin drop..

I became a night owl after retirement, when I no longer had to get up at 6:00am.
I have severe tinnitus which is much worse when it's quiet & I need the TV on at low volume for 30 minutes before I can fall asleep.
And, with diabetes, my blood sugar will swing up & down while I'm sleeping, which causes symptoms that can make falling asleep impossible. Sometimes it will get too low, which causes a rapid, pounding heart & shortness of breath. Then I have to eat sugar & it can take most of the night to feel normal.....or it will then get too high & cause the same symptoms.
A few times per month, I'll be up all night & just sleep a little earlier the next night. I'll read a book, play my piano, or (if it's not too cold) go outside where I feed 4 raccoons. They're fun to watch.
Hi, I also have Tinnitus...Most of the time, at night, I am up all hours....Hubby can sleep anytime...
I try to get a hold of my nerves when the Tinnitus is bad....Like now....it's just me and Hubs here in the house....
We cannot see our kids....Even they are a 14 hours away from us....They don't want us to come home....We are in our home away from home...
Didn't know this was going to happen...We are supposed to go home in April...I don't think that is going to happen...
They are worse up North....So we stay here....Which is a lovely place we are in....
Every one stay safe.....

Haha, yeah I dont get a regular 15-16 hour day in, like most other folks....rather be sleeping with no pain than up and about with the pain issues I deal with :(
I don't sleep the full night through either. Arthur won't let me. Neither will my bladder and lungs.

Back