Flooding in the UK.

Okay, okay. Hurricane FORCE winds, then. Feel better? :rolleyes:
To be even hurricane force winds need to be at least 75 mph, and while we may get gusts at this speed consistent wind speed of this nature are rare in the UK away from mountain tops and coasts.

Having said that, we have 80 mph gusts forecast for midnight tonight, which may make the halyards in the yacht marina sing a bit!

This is the first I've read about this round of flooding. Hadn't seen it on the news nor read any reports about it. I feel so bad for the residents. Some people are not taking climate change (global warming) seriously or don't believe in it at all. But it will eventually have catastrophic results all over our planet. Here's one of the articles reporting on cities that are expected to be underwater by the end of the century. Several are in N.J. (my state), S.C. and Florida. Since reading the article, I've read that the timeline for massive coastal flooding may be accelerated.
https://247wallst.com/special-report/2019/10/30/american-cities-that-will-soon-be-under-water-3/2/
I think it's all too easy to blame every bit of unusual weather on 'Global warming'. Looking back through history, you will find many examples of absolutely catastrophic storms, floods, freezing temperatures and heatwaves. All of which happened before the invention of the motorcar, aeroplane, CFCs etc...

Poor land management is partly to blame. Planting trees on the high ground would help to contain the water, instead of it being allowed to wash down into the towns, where the drains and rivers are over-whelmed.
I live in the north of England, but I'm on a hill so don't have to worry about flooding. The wind causes a lot of trouble though, but we've been lucky so far.

I think it's all too easy to blame every bit of unusual weather on 'Global warming'. Looking back through history, you will find many examples of absolutely catastrophic storms, floods, freezing temperatures and heatwaves. All of which happened before the invention of the motorcar, aeroplane, CFCs etc...
It's not 'global warming' --- it's climate change causing extremes in both hot and cold. I assume, from the comment, you're a 'denier' so you don't believe (?) this following or don't think it has anything to do with man's activity:

".....Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. It found Antarctica as a whole went from losing about 40 gigatons of ice per year in the 1980s to 252 gigatons per year over the last decade. (One gigaton is a billion tons.) All that ice dumped into the ocean has raised global sea levels by 14 millimeters since 1979, according to the study. West Antarctica, home to some of the fastest-flowing and fastest-melting glaciers, accounts for the bulk of the loss calculated in the new work. But the research shows melt in East Antarctica—long thought to be the more stable region—has been underestimated.....".

What I believe, Retiredtraveller, is that you have chosen to misinterpret my post . Climate change, Global warming (play with the semantics all you want) is real enough, but extremes of weather have happened all through history. I believe that human activity influences it, but not necessarily initiated it .

Back