Florence Nightingale Would Cry!

Packerjohn

Packerjohn
Yesterday I got the new vaccine for shingles; Shingrix. Every year I get the annual flu shot and I have all 3 Covid vaccines. No problem but the Shingrix felt like it was my last day on this planet.

I got home at 2 pm and fell right into bed. I couldn't eat, drink or do anything. I stayed in my bed until 12 noon the next day. If your counting that is 22 hours in bed. There is a walk-in medical clinic across the street where I live. I drove there (no energy for walking) and was told the doctors were "out for lunchs". I was told to come back at 2 pm. When I returned the lady behind the counter said that there was nothing to be done for me. I should go home, take aspirins and rest. Oh yes, rest! I got the sweats at home in the afternoon and around 7 pm I got the shakes and chills so bad that no amount of heat nor 3 layers of woolen clothes would stop it.

Now, here is where my beef is:
1. The lazy doctor could have at least looked at me; check my temperature, blood pressure and looked into my eyes.
2. You say go to the hospital? Ha! A couple of days ago there was a story of a "little ole lady" in one of our hospitals lying in the hallways for 3 days before she just got fed up and went home.
3. This province wastes millions of dollars every year supporting the local football and hockey teams. Since Covid started many nurses have quite their jobs as they were often "forced" to do triple shifts.
4. No new hospitals have been built even though thousands of immigrants are coming to this country.
4. Here's one for all seniors. In my apartment where the average age of the population is in their 80s, some of them have banners outside their doors supporting the hockey or the football teams. I would like to see how much support they will get from the hockey or football teams when they get a stroke, heart-attack, etc. and can't get a hospital bed. Some folks just don't or can't think~

Attachments

• crowded hospital.jpg
    crowded hospital.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 4
sorry to read that saga. are you rural Can?

i dont really think its much better here at all. Drs here seem to only do what they...want to do.
the patient barely matters. and if they can do surgery they are very happy.

as for rural life here...yah there aint no med anywhere. Hours away.

Yesterday I got the new vaccine for shingles; Shingrix. Every year I get the annual flu shot and I have all 3 Covid vaccines. No problem but the Shingrix felt like it was my last day on this planet.

I got home at 2 pm and fell right into bed. I couldn't eat, drink or do anything. I stayed in my bed until 12 noon the next day. If your counting that is 22 hours in bed. There is a walk-in medical clinic across the street where I live. I drove there (no energy for walking) and was told the doctors were "out for lunchs". I was told to come back at 2 pm. When I returned the lady behind the counter said that there was nothing to be done for me. I should go home, take aspirins and rest. Oh yes, rest! I got the sweats at home in the afternoon and around 7 pm I got the shakes and chills so bad that no amount of heat nor 3 layers of woolen clothes would stop it.

1. The lazy doctor could have at least looked at me; check my temperature, blood pressure and looked into my eyes.
2. You say go to the hospital? Ha! A couple of days ago there was a story of a "little ole lady" in one of our hospitals lying in the hallways for 3 days before she just got fed up and went home.
3. This province wastes millions of dollars every year supporting the local football and hockey teams. Since Covid started many nurses have quite their jobs as they were often "forced" to do triple shifts.
4. No new hospitals have been built even though thousands of immigrants are coming to this country.
4. Here's one for all seniors. In my apartment where the average age of the population is in their 80s, some of them have banners outside their doors supporting the hockey or the football teams. I would like to see how much support they will get from the hockey or football teams when they get a stroke, heart-attack, etc. and can't get a hospital bed. Some folks just don't or can't think~
ok so when did you actually move here to the UK ?

welcome to our world, this has been happening here for ages... so sorry you got so poorly must have been very worrying when you couldn't get to see a Doc, when you felt so bad... , but it happens here all the time, especially since the onset of the Pandemic...:(..I was just reading the other day , that over 50 % of our General practitioners ( GP's) are working a 3 day week or less.. and most of them want to take early retirement.. ..no wonder we wait weeks for an appointment and when we do we're turfed out in minutes...

Last edited:
welcome to our world, this has been happening here for ages... so sorry you got so poorly must have been very worrying when you couldn't get to see a Doc, when you felt so bad... , but it happens here all the time, especaially since the onset of the Pandemic...:(..I was just reading the other day , that over 50 % of our General practioners ( GP's) are working a 3 day week or less.. and most of them want to take early retirement.. ..no wonder we wait weeks for an appointment and when we do we're turfed out in minutes...
Gee, last week I needed to see a doctor. I called for an appointment sometime after 10 am and was seen at 2 pm.
Glad I don't live there!

welcome to our world, this has been happening here for ages... so sorry you got so poorly must have been very worrying when you couldn't get to see a Doc, when you felt so bad... , but it happens here all the time, especaially since the onset of the Pandemic...:(..I was just reading the other day , that over 50 % of our General practioners ( GP's) are working a 3 day week or less.. and most of them want to take early retirement.. ..no wonder we wait weeks for an appointment and when we do we're turfed out in minutes...
I have no problems with any of my treatment for leukaemia and a few infections that I have picked up in the last two years. In fact my experiences with University College Hospital London and the MacMillan Centre have been almost pleasant.

That's awful. Since your sweats and chills indicate a high fever, you should have been seen!

I had the same symptoms. The first shot I felt like I had the flu for a week. The second one was about the same. I shook like a nervous Chihuahua and I was sweating like a welders arse in July. At the time I thought I might have picked up Covid 19. Not a good experience. I slept a lot, took Acetaminophen and tried to keep myself hydrated and that seemed to help. Hang in there. It will get better.

I have no problems with any of my treatment for leukaemia and a few infections that I have picked up in the last two years. In fact my experiences with University College Hospital London and the MacMillan Centre have been almost pleasant.
I'm pleased for you .. thank goodness you're not having to wait for treatment like many cancer patients are, but I was actually talking about GP's..

Gee, last week I needed to see a doctor. I called for an appointment sometime after 10 am and was seen at 2 pm.
Glad I don't live there!
well I'm pleased you don't...perhaps if our GP's got paid from high insurance premiums we might get a better service.. . I've been waiting over 4 weeks for an appointment with my GP... and my consultant at the private hospital has just cancelled a phone appointment...again.. ( this is the third time he's done it in 12 months)... and moved it to the 24th of May.
It makes my blood boil , they send a letter saying the appointment has been cancelled, and he will call at 7.30pm on the 24th of May.. No, will it be suitable,?.. no apologies.. just a statement of fact.. which may or may not be cancelled yet again!!

well I'm pleased you don't...perhaps if our GP's got paid from high insurance premiums we might get a better service.. . I've been waiting over 4 weeks for an appointment with my GP... and my consultant at the private hospital has just cancelled a phone appointment...again.. ( this is the third time he's done it in 12 months)... and moved it to the 24th of May.
It makes my blood boil , they send a letter saying the appointment has been cancelled, and he will call at 7.30pm on the 24th of May.. No, will it be suitable,?.. no apologies.. just a statement of fact.. which may or may not be cancelled yet again!!
OMG mi chica, that's bad. I'm sorry for you.

I've debated about the Shingles vaccine until I found out the price and that Medicare won't pay a dime. Your story of side effects has convinced me that it's not worth the risk anyway. I'm sorry you suffered so and were treated so poorly (or not treated at all).

hi...whats this 'three day a week' work thing about?....i thot it was only US where the docs now dont have to
work full time while dealing with over 325,000,000 million humans.....

many institutional docs only work part time now here....3 days a week.
what?...is this about TOO MANY HUMANS??? OVER POP?....med cant deal with them all?.....like India...china...
we are number 3 in size of global pop. china india us.

i no longer see a diff in these countries. over pop has choked them. us.

Friends of ours had a nasty reaction to the Shingles vaccine too. I vaguely recall that the needle has to be administered in a specific spot and wondered if theirs were done wrong.

@Packerjohn, the next time you see the doctor tell him what happened. Maybe the receptionist made the decision that you shouldn’t see the doctor on her own. You might have also had something else going on. You should have been seen. How are you now?

hi...whats this 'three day a week' work thing about?....i thot it was only US where the docs now dont have to
work full time while dealing with over 325,000,000 million humans.....

many institutional docs only work part time now here....3 days a week.
what?...is this about TOO MANY HUMANS??? OVER POP?....med cant deal with them all?.....like India...china...
we are number 3 in size of global pop. china india us.

i no longer see a diff in these countries. over pop has choked them. us.
Over population has certainly choked the UK that's for sure.. Infrastructure is at breaking point if not already broken. Not enough Doctors, dentists, hospital beds, Surgeons, General practitioners, schools.. ..Take for example the UK.. a country smaller than Oregon... compare the populations.. 70 million people..( that we know about, and many more we don't )....Oregon ..population just over 4 million...

..so you can see if the USA is struggling... how much more the tiny British Islands are with such a huge population...and a govt who couldn't care less..

sorry to read that saga. are you rural Can?

i dont really think its much better here at all. Drs here seem to only do what they...want to do.
the patient barely matters. and if they can do surgery they are very happy.

as for rural life here...yah there aint no med anywhere. Hours away.
Not rural; capitol of my province. Population pushing 763,000. Not peanuts!

I've debated about the Shingles vaccine until I found out the price and that Medicare won't pay a dime. Your story of side effects has convinced me that it's not worth the risk anyway. I'm sorry you suffered so and were treated so poorly (or not treated at all).
My brother said that he had Shingles twice. According to him, it's no BIG deal, if you spot it right away and deal with it. I paid $140 for the vaccine but I need another shot in 2 - 6 months to be fully covered. Apparently, I will be covered for 10 years. I'm 76 now so as sure as hack I wouldn't be getting another round when I'm 86.

I had the same symptoms. The first shot I felt like I had the flu for a week. The second one was about the same. I shook like a nervous Chihuahua and I was sweating like a welders arse in July. At the time I thought I might have picked up Covid 19. Not a good experience. I slept a lot, took Acetaminophen and tried to keep myself hydrated and that seemed to help. Hang in there. It will get better.
Sometimes I wonder if when they develop some of these powerful drugs, do they do tests on horses. That vaccine sure felt powerful.

Friends of ours had a nasty reaction to the Shingles vaccine too. I vaguely recall that the needle has to be administered in a specific spot and wondered if theirs were done wrong.

@Packerjohn, the next time you see the doctor tell him what happened. Maybe the receptionist made the decision that you shouldn’t see the doctor on her own. You might have also had something else going on. You should have been seen. How are you now?
I phoned my doctor, told him about my situation and he prescribed "Azithromycin." 2 pills the first day and then 1/day for the next 4. I have had this family doctor for years and I trust him. He's a good Welshman from Wales. I hope I'm wrong but I suspect some of the younger doctors (I said "some") aren't as good as the older generation. Too much starring at those phones? I hope I'm wrong!

But you get free health care, you are the model many in the U.S. would like to adopt.
Well, yes, we get "free" health care but like the UK, it's not really free; it's paid out of our taxes. I feel the problem is our prime minister has this ego thing about saving the world and welcoming millions of immigrants to Canada. How honourable of him! The thing is if we welcome all those immigrants we need to build some hospitals and schools. Our population of elderly people is increasing by leaps and bounds. Combine this with a huge influx of immigrants and the pressures will increase and the conditions will get worse. It's might be a lovely "photo-op" for our leader to give millions to Ukraine to fight those naughty Russkies but if you are a senior and you end up in a hospital hallway for 3 days without a bed, then you really wonder if these political judgments are sound?

Back