Florida: Graveyard of the Snowbirds?

We live about 6 miles from a large silica mine. They have huge holes in the mountain sides that go underground for who knows where. I've heard it said someday the highway will probably cave in from all the tunnels underneath. Don't know how true that is, but I think about it everytime I have to drive on it. Every so often you hear huge thunderlike booms from the blasting. I hope this area is not on the 6 o'clock news some night.

We live about 6 miles from a large silica mine. They have huge holes in the mountain sides that go underground for who knows where. I've heard it said someday the highway will probably cave in from all the tunnels underneath. Don't know how true that is, but I think about it everytime I have to drive on it. Every so often you hear huge thunderlike booms from the blasting. I hope this area is not on the 6 o'clock news some night.

Wow!

I can just imagine it looking like The Doorway to Hell in Russia ...

The_Door_to_Hell.jpg

I would say to anyone who wants to live close to the water to move to Nova Scotia. There is not anywhere in the Province where you can be any further than 35 miles from the ocean and there are more lakes than I could count. Depending on where you are, housing is reasonable, health care is paid by the province (from your taxes - which are high), and there are four distinct seasons. Not a lot of snakes or spiders that could do any harm either. I'm parked and wouldn't even consider going anywhere else.

I've heard that Nova Scotia - especially places like Halifax - have foggy conditions 2/3 of the time. How depressing!

And it gets COLD there in the winter - that's one of the things I'm looking to get away from. I figure, if I'm going to be homeless better to be in a warm climate. ;)

Sinkholes are nothing new here in Wilkes Barre, thanks to the decades of coal mining that created a virtual underground labyrinth. Every once in a while some horses, a few little kids or a full-sized pick-up truck will disappear. Folks hereabouts just have a beer and some sausage and get back to watching the ball game. :playful:

You're in Wilkes Barre? Half of my family came from that area. Many of them still live in Nanticoke, Glen Lyon, Nuangola and the surrounding area. Is the mine fire still burning in Centralia? I can remember hearing about it since the early 60's, I believe.

You're in Wilkes Barre? Half of my family came from that area. Many of them still live in Nanticoke, Glen Lyon, Nuangola and the surrounding area. Is the mine fire still burning in Centralia? I can remember hearing about it since the early 60's, I believe.

The half of the family that isn't mentioned in public conversation, right? ;):playful:

My former in-laws lived in Nuangola on the lake, and I've hung out in most of those other areas as well - my bouncing job out here was in West Nanticoke.

Yes, that fire is still burning as far as I know, but they've all but locked-down the town so it's pretty much impossible to go site-seeing anymore unless you're dressed like a ninja.

The half of the family that isn't mentioned in public conversation, right? ;):playful:

LOL. My grandfather was a beer distributor in the area for many decades. I used to kid him about being a tailgunner on a beer truck during Prohibition. ;)

My former in-laws lived in Nuangola on the lake, and I've hung out in most of those other areas as well - my bouncing job out here was in West Nanticoke.

Yes, that fire is still burning as far as I know, but they've all but locked-down the town so it's pretty much impossible to go site-seeing anymore unless you're dressed like a ninja.

I remember staying in a cabin on the lake while my grandparents were having work done to their house. That had to be almost 50 years ago now.

LOL. My grandfather was a beer distributor in the area for many decades. I used to kid him about being a tailgunner on a beer truck during Prohibition. ;)

Heh, heh ... even the beer distributors are having a tough time now - the State is talking about getting rid of state-run liquor stores and allowing supermarkets and convenience stores to sell beer and wine.

... you know - like the rest of the country. :playful:

I remember staying in a cabin on the lake while my grandparents were having work done to their house. That had to be almost 50 years ago now.

There's scarcely an open spot to build on the lake now, and the house prices are north of $200k last time I checked.

Back