Flour Sifters

I went in search of a flour sifter in the kitchen cabinets. I found 6 in various styles and none were fit to use. I know they haven't been used since my mom got sick, so we're probaby talking arond 15 years or so. Some are rusty and most just dirty looking. I may have to go to the "big box" and get one since I didn't see any available locally. Would you recommend a crank handle or a squeeze handle?

Attachments

• sifters.jpg
    sifters.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 3
I don't bake or use much flour when I need to sift I use one of these.

Just give it a shake or a spank, the flour knows what to do.

Start at the $tore and work your way up.
idealisk-strainer__0713138_PE729278_S4.JPG

I do an extraordinary amount of baking and haven't used a flour sifter in decades. Modern flour is pre-sifted.

Agree with Bea, if you need a sifter use a finer mesh strainer. It'll do the trick without lightening your wallet or taking up cabinet space.

I made corenbread recently and it was awful. There were small but hard bits in it that when I bit them, were sour at first, then tasted bitter. I wanted to see if there was something in the flour or cornmeal, so I was going to sift them both. Will cornmeal go through a sifter?

I'm curious. Where are the 6 unusable ones? Still in your cabinet or in the trash.

About the cornbread: I had same experience recently with sour, bitter taste. It turned out my cornbread mix was very old, long past its use by date. I had not had it too long so must have been old stock in store. New mix and cornbread fine.

I made corenbread recently and it was awful. There were small but hard bits in it that when I bit them, were sour at first, then tasted bitter. I wanted to see if there was something in the flour or cornmeal, so I was going to sift them both. Will cornmeal go through a sifter?

Like Gennie stated ... probably long past its expiration date.

Can't imagine what cornbread ingredients would be hard bits that taste sour or bitter... Maybe your cornmeal isn't past the printed expiration date, but it may still be spoiled. Cornmeal is so cheap - I'd pitch that and replace it with a fresh package.

I doubt that cornmeal will go thru a sifter. I think your cornmeal has gone rancid.

Maybe it was egg shell pieces. I naver really perfected the art of cracking an egg. The shells usually end up disintegrating in my hand making a lot of tiny pieces that I can't always get out, or even see very well once they are added to the dry ingredients.

Maybe it was egg shell pieces. I naver really perfected the art of cracking an egg. The shells usually end up disintegrating in my hand making a lot of tiny pieces that I can't always get out, or even see very well once they are added to the dry ingredients.

Egg shell pieces would add no flavor. A little crunch perhaps, but no flavor. Before using any of your ingredients again you might want to taste test them to make sure they're still good. No matter what the sell-by or use-by date states.

Back