Food and Nutrition in Assisted Living Communities

Exactly. Our families and the whole staff are from the two previous generations.
A lot of the residents do not have enough family or incapable of “pitching a fit” like I am. My family can always rescue me or I can call Door Dash. But I should not have to resort to that. It makes us feel helpless. With the staff here, it is eat it, shut up or starve.
Have you tried going to the CEO? Maybe bring the CEO a plate at lunch and toss it on the desk and ask them if they'd wanna eat that crap. LOL

When we were researching facilities for my MIL, we had very specific requirements: it had to be full-care (she had dementia and it made her anxious about changes), near our house (preferably reachable via freeway or streets, no further than 20 min away), and with good food. We're "foodies"; she wasn't but appreciated good food and liked to dine out.

We visited the facility we eventually chose, which made our successive cuts, three different times over the 18 months we were searching - weren't in any real hurry, obviously - and ate there twice. We made a 4th visit with MIL, going for lunch, and giving her the tour.

The food was and is, good enough that my family came over that holiday season to celebrate Thanksgiving at the facility. We normally do potlucks - elaborate and very adventurous/lavish dishes, like paella, Persian Tahchin, bouillabaisse, Chinese Seven Jewel Rice stuffing, etc. The facility stuck to straightforward Thanksgiving dishes, with the option of an enormous whole poached salmon with Bearnaise.

MIL had a great time playing hostess and my family agreed the food at her facility was very good - better than some restaurants we've been to.

So good nutritious food DOES exist at some facilities, thankfully!

When we were researching facilities for my MIL, we had very specific requirements: it had to be full-care (she had dementia and it made her anxious about changes), near our house (preferably reachable via freeway or streets, no further than 20 min away), and with good food. We're "foodies"; she wasn't but appreciated good food and liked to dine out.

We visited the facility we eventually chose, which made our successive cuts, three different times over the 18 months we were searching - weren't in any real hurry, obviously - and ate there twice. We made a 4th visit with MIL, going for lunch, and giving her the tour.

The food was and is, good enough that my family came over that holiday season to celebrate Thanksgiving at the facility. We normally do potlucks - elaborate and very adventurous/lavish dishes, like paella, Persian Tahchin, bouillabaisse, Chinese Seven Jewel Rice stuffing, etc. The facility stuck to straightforward Thanksgiving dishes, with the option of an enormous whole poached salmon with Bearnaise.

MIL had a great time playing hostess and my family agreed the food at her facility was very good - better than some restaurants we've been to.

So good nutritious food DOES exist at some facilities, thankfully!
Glad you had success. The corporation that manages my AL keeps the Food Director on tight budget. Some of the bigwigs were here two weeks ago. The kitchen dished out a very delicious meal to them and us. Of course they said they loved it. Bunch of hypocrites. They didn’t even talk to any of us. They just don’t want to hear about it.

It’s a universal problem because of the shift of ownership to private equity (profit driven) firms due to the fact that it is one of the more profitable investments currently. Greed trumps decency in today’s world.
You have that right.. Greed will make a person have no empathy for anyone. Greed will make a person sleep like a baby at night. These management companies are staffed by soulless people.

Here are pictures of a few of our recent meals.....................
Oh my gosh! If my dinners looked like that every day, I'd be completely depressed. I'd be having a grocery order delivered to my room so that I got to eat something green! Those are some of the brownest plates I've seen in ages! Even the salad is hardly noticeable.

Back