Food(s) you loved but hardly eat anymore

Krispy Kreme doughnuts bought when the 'HOT'* sign is lit in the K.K. shop window. One bought from the grocery shelf will be OK but straight from the cooker is heaven.

*signifies they are just coming out of cooker and will be fresh and warm

I've never found much eating on pigs trotters, but you can still get them. I'm most annoyed that I can't get pig's kidneys, which I prefer for making steak & kidney pies. Even when we get our pig carcasses back from the abattoir, the kidneys are missing. I make do with lamb's ones instead, but they're a bit soft in texture.

Deep fried sea scallops as a kid and young adult. One time I bought a 5 lb. pkg. of them and asked mom to have them ready on a Sunday evening after a weekend of fasting while running around the woods with the National Guard on military maneuvers.

As you might guess I came home Sun. evening famished after a 60-hr. fast, and would like to report that I conquered all five lbs. Truth is I could get through about four lbs. that Sun. night.

That was 1968. Last time I had scallops was like 1975. They just gradually lost their appeal inexplicably.

Back