From A Wide Spot In The Road

drifter

Dear Diary, I got a pedicare this afternoon. I can no longer cut my toe nails. The last time i tried I
snipped one toe pretty good. I couldn't feel the nip and didn't know until blood was dripping on the
floor. I went to a doctor a couple of times.. He charged the hound out of me. Cheaper to go to a
medicare place. They do a good job.

I'm thinking of trying acupuncture on my feet. But have to think about that for a while.

I hear that, Falcon. Thanks ofor advice.

Dear Diary, you rascal,

This has been a wet year so far. My back yard has flooded several times when we got several inches of rain but that has been due to the property behind me that is much higher in elevation. Runs down onto three or four poperties below it. One of those places is mine. When it dries out, if it ever does, going to talk a landscape expert about the best way to handle the drainage. I haven't been able to have my back yard mowed in six weeks. Appears to be much work to be done. Our river is flooding; first time in many years.

I haven't seen this much rain since I was a young'un living in Wichita Falls in the flood plain of the Wichita River and Holliday Creek except for a few monsoons I have visited over the years. The last time I drove by to visit the old home place all the houses had been bulldozed down and all evidence of human habitation cleared out. Even the old storm cellar I built as a fourteen year old and lived in for three years, had been filled in and leveled. Well, now I'm getting off subject and into memories.

If I was a little younger I could fix all these problems myself but time can not be stopped and I am at a point where I am almost dependent on others for my well being. Of course that is life and life is what we cling to.

I just noticed someone who commented here is listed as a DV8, and wearing twelve hashmarks. Hummm? Ponder that.

It was coldish this morning when I got up. Both my heat and A/C has been turned off. It was forty-four outside, warmer in the house, I'm sure, but still a little cold for my thinned blood. I'm ready to say adios to winter.

For breakfast I had a small cup of corn flakes and coffee. I usually make a piece of toast but didn't this morning. I had that fatless milk. Uhg. That's a terrible thing to do to good whole milk. Here it is now after one pm and I'm Hungary again. I have been reading quite a bit, downloading kindle books on my iPod. Back when I was younger I read some of Thomas Paine's writings, i.e. "Common Sense," and "The Age Of Rason". I was impressed back then. But back then I was easily impressed since I lacked a good education and knew little of anything. Today, after having lived a full life I am reading them again. Will his writings still impress me? I don't know, but he left some ideas to ponder and I will think on them again. Books I have bought that I have not yet read but have started include a couple of western stories. "A Little Tea Shop On Main Street," by Jodi Thomas, and a book on writing non-fiction.

So here it is early afternoon and I'm lying in bed. Retirement is good and I'm living like a kept man. That's all dear diary..

I know tornados are part of life in the midwest but enough is enough. We've had three days of them. I'm ready to share the fun. Understand we have one more round coming and then lets rest for
awhile. One finally set down in my town early this morning. Not a whole lot of damage unless it is your place, I guess. I'm ready for some fun in the sun.

We've had seven or eight days of storms. Tornados around every night for seven days. Last night we had a reprieve. I had a birthday yesterday and I realize I'me going to be an old man one of these days. Now the problem is flooding. Where are the gentle days of summer with their light breezes. If I get much more water my floors are going to buckle. But, however, and as it were, starting today I have a bright new horizen before me and this is the fitst day of the rest of my life. What will I do with it?well, now, that's going to require some thinking. I miss some friends who have presided me to the exit. I miss conversation. That's enough talking to myself for now. I've got to learn to cry on my own shoulder. Later.

Saturday morning, go to market day. A home body today, no butter or eggs to sell.
Got up, weighed, measured blood sugar. Doctor called the other day, said I needed
to lose some weight, get control of blood sugar. So, going to try to control weight &
the blood sugar thing. Bread is my downfall, well one of my downfalls. I'm looking
for a diabetic friendly bread. I've heard or read sourdough if made with a good
starter, will not spike one's blood sugar. I'm trying whole wheats, rye, and looking for
a good flaxseed bread or bread made with at least some flaxseed flour. Gotta keep on
keeping on anddo what you can.

drifter: I was into the ourdoorsy stuff years ago. I made some sourdough bread the original way. You use potato water instead of yeast. I am sure the recipes is on the net someplace...It worked really well but you have to keep the starter warm. I left mine for a couple of days and it got to cold.

Drifter, I've been enjoying reading your diary. You folks in the mid/south west have sure had violent weather!

When you wrote "Bread is my downfall", I felt I found a friend. I am also a bread-head!

@RadishRose, I have spent years now trying to find a whole wheat bread I could like and find pleasure in eating. Every time I find one the store quits handling or buying it. Last week on my last trip to the grocery, I bought three loves of different breads, two whites and a whole wheat. I found one a while back, whole wheat but it had some flax flour and flax seed. I bought twice and have not seen it on any grocery shelf since. Thanks for your comments.

However, I think the time has come to exercise some discipline, in as much as
I have a small diabetes problem, and a weight problem. I have been trying, but
not too hard, to tackle the weight problem. It appears I'm going to have to get
Serious about it. I'm acting too much, yet staying hungary much of the time.
I'm just thinking out loud but the problem requires some workable plan. The last
trip to my grocery I bought a large bunch of the wrong stuff. I even carried my
roommate over to pick up five dozen donut holes. After my chocolate milk is gone
and my strawberry ice cream and all my white bread and my maple syrup for
Pancakes, after it's all gone, I'm going to drop some weight. I guess we've all
heard that before, huh?

@RadishRose, I have spent years now trying to find a whole wheat bread I could like and find pleasure in eating. Every time I find one the store quits handling or buying it. Last week on my last trip to the grocery, I bought three loves of different breads, two whites and a whole wheat. I found one a while back, whole wheat but it had some flax flour and flax seed. I bought twice and have not seen it on any grocery shelf since. Thanks for your comments.
@drifter Try Arnold's whole wheat with seeds. 🍞

@RadishRose, Okay I've found the Arnolds label, have eaten one or the other
for years, always looked for OrowheatI was wanting something with flax flour
added and I've found it in anotherr Orowheat label. I'm slow sometimes. Thanks
for enlightening me

A day in my life makes me wonder what I am doing on a forum. Every day is the same. I am not house bound but there is little I can do outside the house. I do still drive a little in town but nobody wants to ride with me. My wife will ride to the grocers with me once every two weeks or so but I think
She feels she is risking life and/or limb when she does. I understand and try to drove in a way she does not feel threatened.

When we ge to the grocers, I am out of breath from the walk from the car to inside where the electric carts are parked. After a couple of moments I am breathing better and can unplug the cart and stuff the cord into its storage hole.mshe gets a cart and I follow. We aways have
a list. I get some of the groceries and she gets part of them. I try to get th needed items furtherest
away so she dorsn't have to walk so far. We get help taking the groceries to the car. The hardest part of grocery shopping is getting them from the trunk of the car to the kitchen. We have a cart my wife uses sometime when we have lots of groceries. But unloading them exhausts us. I am always out of breath and my blood oxygen drops to the low seventies.. It is about the hardest thing I do. My wife then puts the groceries away after a rest. We are both stressed.

The remaining part of the day, she watches TV. I spend time on the computer or reading. Sometime I watch birds in the back yard for a while but that is usually in the early morning after daylight. She cooks, I do the dishes and clean up the kitchen. She does the sweeping and mopping. We have hardwood floors.. We have street trash pickup and she carries out the trash most often because my doctors have told me not to do so. We help each other but my wife gives a lot more help than she gets.

Where am I going with this? There's little doubt I'm getting too old to be out in this big wide world with out adult supervision. I might say anything. I might embarrass myself. My drivers license expires next month, I think. What if they don't renew my license? That's why I bought the bicycle. Should have known I couldn't ride it. I was hoping I could. But that was irrational. My thinking at the time was,' I can always donate the bike to GoodwillI or the Salvation Army.' I should have bought a three wheel bike or tryke. My question is or was, did I have enough breath and energy to peddle the thing. I could sit on it but could but could I make it go. I think some in the family probably questioned my sanity. I do wish this section of this forum had a delete button. Any good "Diary" has a lock button so it can be hidden from public view. ince I can't hide it or delete it, what can I say about my irrational public broadcast, about spilling the beans all over the floor with no rug to sweep them under, or no broom to sweep them up?

To be continued.

Last edited:
Okay, Diary, listen up.
Skipped breakfast this morning, went out to the farmer's market
which sets up at our fair grounds each Saturday morning. Couldn't find a parking place so I sit in the car
and waited on my lady. She bought four homegrown tomatoes for $7.00, three medium size and one large.
Stopped at Sprouts on the way home and bought green beans to snap and small new potatoes. I got a Mexican
Vagan TV dinner and a dozen apricots. I bought a loaf of whole wheat bread which is labeled White bread done right.
Not very good. We both had a sandwich with this new bread. I'd give it a 2.5 or 3 out of 5. Ann doesn't have much of a taster,
nor did she make any comment about the bread. She only ate a half slice. She ate a who tomato with her sandwich. She finished
up on cookies, I on strawberries.

Had a conference on iMessage with my son who is in Potenza, Italy. Grand daughter and grandson are leaving Italy today. She
back to Spain where she spent a month with the Oklahoma University dance team, practicing and performing with a Spanish
dance company. Mia, my sixteen year old granddaughter doesn't speak Spanish but for a month she did, she got by. She
is fluent in Italian. She said she had the most fun she's ever had in her whole life. And she was invited back for a special
performance in Barcelona. My grandson, Martino, is on the way to London for a week long conference at Oxford, then
he'll have a week to move about to whatever he wants to do or see. Son and daughter in law and Martino and Mia
will all be back here in Norman in early August for another school year. My son and daughter in law are teachers.
I on the other hand, still a student but my learning has slowed. Are you listening to me, Diary. I do hope you're
taking notes. You know how my memory is.

Okay, Diary, listen up.
Skipped breakfast this morning, went out to the farmer's market
which sets up at our fair grounds each Saturday morning. Couldn't find a parking place so I sit in the car
and waited on my lady. She bought four homegrown tomatoes for $7.00, three medium size and one large.
Stopped at Sprouts on the way home and bought green beans to snap and small new potatoes. I got a Mexican
Vagan TV dinner and a dozen apricots. I bought a loaf of whole wheat bread which is labeled White bread done right.
Not very good. We both had a sandwich with this new bread. I'd give it a 2.5 or 3 out of 5. Ann doesn't have much of a taster,
nor did she make any comment about the bread. She only ate a half slice. She ate a who tomato with her sandwich. She finished
up on cookies, I on strawberries.

Had a conference on iMessage with my son who is in Potenza, Italy. Grand daughter and grandson are leaving Italy today. She
back to Spain where she spent a month with the Oklahoma University dance team, practicing and performing with a Spanish
dance company. Mia, my sixteen year old granddaughter doesn't speak Spanish but for a month she did, she got by. She
is fluent in Italian. She said she had the most fun she's ever had in her whole life. And she was invited back for a special
performance in Barcelona. My grandson, Martino, is on the way to London for a week long conference at Oxford, then
he'll have a week to move about to whatever he wants to do or see. Son and daughter in law and Martino and Mia
will all be back here in Norman in early August for another school year. My son and daughter in law are teachers.
I on the other hand, still a student but my learning has slowed. Are you listening to me, Diary. I do hope you're
taking notes. You know how my memory is.
You've got an interesting an talented family Drifter!

I suggest you start taking advantage of grocery delivery. Look up your favorite local supermarkets on line for their delivery details and sales flyer. Put in your order. It doesn't cost much. I hope this can be an option for you.

You, know, RR, A year or so ago I thought I would already be having groceries delivered
because for the past five years I have had to have special approval from the State of
Oklahoma to renew my licience. The state uses a review board from the University of
OklahomaI and they and my doctor confer annually to determine if my condition
is any way a danger to the driving public. So I looked up the local scene here in
Norman. One store delivered. They had been in business here for many years,
Norman's oldest grocer. Before I could place an order and try them out, one
weekend Walmart nor anyone else delivered in Norman. I'm not sure the
situation now but I do need to check it out. Thanks for gthe reminder.
This could be the best option if my licience is not renewed. Of course
I am getting up in years and know that someday I will have to stop
driving and I feel that day is getting closer.

You, know, RR, A year or so ago I thought I would already be having groceries delivered
because for the past five years I have had to have special approval from the State of
Oklahoma to renew my licience. The state uses a review board from the University of
OklahomaI and they and my doctor confer annually to determine if my condition
is any way a danger to the driving public. So I looked up the local scene here in
Norman. One store delivered. They had been in business here for many years,
Norman's oldest grocer. Before I could place an order and try them out, one
weekend Walmart nor anyone else delivered in Norman. I'm not sure the
situation now but I do need to check it out. Thanks for gthe reminder.
This could be the best option if my licience is not renewed. Of course
I am getting up in years and know that someday I will have to stop
driving and I feel that day is getting closer.
I take it your wife doesn't drive. Hope you can find a store! I have a terrible time bringing the bags into the house. I'm thinking of a cart now, too.

@drifter try this link

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=grocery+stores+that+deliver+in+Norman,+OK&t=ffab&atb=v173-4&ia=web

Dear Diary,

Guess what? Something new just happened tro me. No joke.
I was involved in a three way tele-conference on IMessage with
my son in Potenza, Italy, my daughter in Austin, TX and me,
here in Norman, OK. Is tecnology great or what? I don't
understand all I know. We all talked about my daughter's
brother and his family and his kids and that they, already
are international citizens. I'll put that in my pipe and think
on it.

Back