FRUIT CAKE any one?

Do you like it or dislike it?

Make your own or purchase it? What brand?

Looking at online recipes I notice several fruit cakes aren't the dark ones?
Dark ones have brown sugar or molasses.

My dilemma is I hadn't thought about making one till after we were done grocery shopping.
I have some Old candied cherries , pineapple in the freezer.
Probably very dry by now?

Has anyone made fruit cake with canned crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits.. maraschino cherries?

Thanks in advance.

Oooooh, my son-in-law's mother makes the most delicious dark fruitcake with rum in it, which reminds me of the "black cake" my Barbadian friend used to make. She also has given us a wonderful fruitcake she ordered from Monk's. I can't remember where the monastery is located (Quebec seems to be in my memory, but I could be wrong). I have a sense of dejavu about this subject (?)

Last edited:
Hey Siverfox, I have a Betty Crocker cookbook from 1945 that my mom gave me that has a recipe titled Dark Holiday Fruitcake. It looks kind of complicated (looks like a lot of work to me), but if you want it I'll post it further down in the comments.

Hey Siverfox, I have a Betty Crocker cookbook from 1945 that my mom gave me that has a recipe titled Dark Holiday Fruitcake. It looks kind of complicated (looks like a lot of work to me), but if you want it I'll post it further down in the comments.
I have that same book, given to me by my grandmother who had little use for it. It's binding is cracked now, notes all over it, and I still love looking at the old timey pictures.

I like it.

I don't buy it or bake it because I shouldn't eat it. If I run across a small slice during the holidays I still take a small portion and skip my next blood sugar reading.

299-2994128_ostrich-with-head-buried-in-the-sand-cartoon.png

IMO one of the best commercial fruitcakes available comes from the Collins Street Bakery and IMO it's cheaper to buy it than it is to make it.

https://collinstreet.com/buy-fruitcake-online

My experience, my mother's was mostly cake a few walnuts and very few gum drops. I actually liked it, after marriage my wife, my FIL and I went to visit her aunt/father's sister. While there the aunt offered me a piece. Since my memories were of my mother's I accepted with gusto. I gave it a suspicious look then took a big bite. Oh, deary me! What a horrible experience.

I chewed it a bit, but couldn't swallow. I kept it in my mouth the rest of visit (45 minutes), placed the remainder from the plate in the napkin she had given me and waited till we were outside. Held back until my FIL was preoccupied with his keys then spit it out in the nearest snow bank. My wife could only laugh.

Rates right up there with tofu and kale (things I'll never eat again).

Last edited:
Murrmurr,, thanks,, If that's the Betty Crocker cookbook with red/white cover.
I have one,,never thought to look in it.
:)
Yes but it's not checkered - the cover is red and there's a white silhouette of a cooking pot at the bottom center with white scroll-work coming out of it, like steam only there are silhouettes of various herbs branching off of it.

My mom and grandma made a dark one called World War 1 Fruit cake.
Because things were rationed this cake contains no eggs and only 2 Tab. of margarine.
The best I've ever eaten and super moist.
The recipe is as follows if anyone would like to try it.

2 cups of dark brown sugar
2 cups of strong coffee, 3 heaping teaspoons if using instant.
2 Tab of margarine.
1/2 teaspoon of salt.
1 16 oz. box of raisins or less
1 lb. mixed candied fruit. or a combo of candied pineapple and cherries. I like citron so I add some of that also, as long as it equals 2 cups
1 teas. cinnamon.
You bring these ingredients to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
When cold, I usually finish it the next day because it takes awhile to cool.
add 1 teas. of baking soda mixed with 1/8 cup of water until dissolved. mix very will to the cold ingredients.
add 3 cups of flour and mix well
Pour into 2 greased loaf pans. I put wax paper on the bottom
Bake at 300 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
Remove when still warm. If any fruit sticks it is easy to stick back while still warm.
This freezes really well.

I have to eat gluten free and I'm going to try gluten free flour . I tried just rice flour and it didn't turn out.

Back