Garlic, do you reek of it?

It does include 1/4 cup of sesame seeds instead. Probably tastes fresher than pre-ground sesame.
I just use my food processor, hope that works, it's what I've been using. As for the cans, I like to cook my own, so that's about 3 cups of cooked chickpeas (1 1/2 cup each can). Thanks for the recipe, will try soon.

I just use my food processor, hope that works, it's what I've been using. As for the cans, I like to cook my own, so that's about 3 cups of cooked chickpeas (1 1/2 cup each can). Thanks for the recipe, will try soon.
One interesting thing I found in Vitamix's recipes is the use of one can of drained chickpeas & one can that included the liquid. I'm not much of a chef & that was the first time I ever heard of using the liquid in the can. Then, later, I was watching "America's Test Kitchen" & the chef explained that much of the flavor in canned beans is lost if you rinse the beans.

One interesting thing I found in Vitamix's recipes is the use of one can of drained chickpeas & one can that included the liquid. I'm not much of a chef & that was the first time I ever heard of using the liquid in the can. Then, later, I was watching "America's Test Kitchen" & the chef explained that much of the flavor in canned beans is lost if you rinse the beans.

Well, I cook my own beans and use the liquid for hummus and soups. As for the canned beans, I've read to throw away the liquid because it has all the salt and other crap that preserves the food. I try not to use canned food as much as possible. I do rinse the fresh beans after they soak and cook with clean water. I buy fresh dry garbanzos on Amazon from this place in Washington or Oregon (forgot).

Thanks Win, I'm copying and printing it. Yours does not use tahini, which is good, that stuff is expensive.

TreeGuy, I rather cook my own garbanzos, I soak them overnight and cook for 1 1/2 hours. I'm retired, time I have plenty of. Is there a way you can give me some quantities, I know you're a chef, I'm not, measured ingredients is critical for me. I like that it uses turmeric. and I do have tahini on hand.

Unfortunately, I can't give exact quantities. Everything I do, I do "to taste." Just add a little of this, a little of that, and keep tasting until you've got what you want.

The Ziyad plain hummus contains tahini. Those cans are relatively inexpensive. I really think you'll be happy if you check them out.

20191122_052433.jpg

Well, I cook my own beans and use the liquid for hummus and soups. As for the canned beans, I've read to throw away the liquid because it has all the salt and other crap that preserves the food. I try not to use canned food as much as possible. I do rinse the fresh beans after they soak and cook with clean water. I buy fresh dry garbanzos on Amazon from this place in Washington or Oregon (forgot).
A small pinch of baking soda, in the bean water, as the beans cook, helps bring out the flavor and soften the acidic sting. Also, using a few tablespoons of that water, in the processor, does, in fact, impart more flavor.
Again, try the Ziyad prep, as above. You will be very happy you did, I believe.

I do not use garlic frequestly, usually in sauce. I do have a funny garlic story from childhood. An Italian couple around the corner had a large garden. So, occasionally mom would give me a quarter and say "Go get me two heads of garlic". I would go to this guys house, knock on the door, hand him my quarter and he would come back with a little bag with the garlic in it.
For the longest time I was certain that the ONLY place you could get garlic was from this guys house. I always wondered why there was never a huge line of people waiting for garlic. Imagine my surprise when I went to the grocery store with my mom and there was garlic there. The old guy, by this time had died, so I wondered who was supplying the garlic.
Garlic Guy.....
ted_maczka.jpg

The best hummus::

One can of Ziyad hummus, available at Mediterranean grocery stores. Add, to taste: Garlic, turmeric, lemon juice, olive oil, dill, chopped kalamata olives.

I literally just ate a whole can, minutes ago.

While I tend to be a purist, in prepping what I eat, the hassle of soaking garbanzos, cooking them, and then processing them with tahini, is an ordeal I happily give to Ziyad. Their cans contain only garbanzos, tahini, salt, water and citric acid. I'm cool with those natural ingredients.

Try my ingredients, as above. I guarantee you'll be glad you did!
If you can find Za'atar, try that instead of turmeric, dill, etc. Fresh lemon is a must.

I can never find za'atar, so the only spice I use is a bit of cumin, but only once in awhile.

I honestly can't tell the difference between dried and cooked beans and beans from a can and rinsed after all that garlic, tahini, lemon, oil,etc is added

The food processor works great!

P1060349-1.jpg

Wow, love this thread as I am guilty of using garlic on just about everything. I'll even roast it and eat it just as some folks eat peanuts and the like. So, yes, I guess I reek of it. So far the only complaint I ever had was from my late daughter in law who hated it. She always claimed my son reeked of it as well when I visited and cooked for them.

Wow, love this thread as I am guilty of using garlic on just about everything. I'll even roast it and eat it just as some folks eat peanuts and the like. So, yes, I guess I reek of it. So far the only complaint I ever had was from my late daughter in law who hated it. She always claimed my son reeked of it as well when I visited and cooked for them.
Your late dil? I promise, I'll never complain about your use of garlic, ever, honest!

What are your favorite ways of making garlic bread or garlic toast?
I use a dense sourdough type bread and spread it with softened butter full of minced garlic. I then roast it in the oven until it is lightly browned. I then sprinkle the bread with shredded mozzarella cheese and slip it under the broiler until the cheese is browned and melted. Delicious.

I can never find za'atar, so the only spice I use is a bit of cumin, but only once in awhile.

I honestly can't tell the difference between dried and cooked beans and beans from a can and rinsed after all that garlic, tahini, lemon, oil,etc is added
I just don't like using can foods because they've been laying around in that liquid laden with salt and preservatives inside that metal can, nothing to do with taste. I buy less than a half dozen of foods in cans.

As to za'atar, had never heard of it, but I just googled it and if you can't find it you can make your own using this recipe below
https://www.finecooking.com/article/how-to-make-a-homemade-substitute-for-zaatar

Last edited:
I just don't like using can foods because they've been laying around in that liquid laden with salt and preservatives inside that metal can, nothing to do with taste. I buy less than a dozen of foods in cans.

As to za'atar, had never heard of it, but I just googled it and if you can't find it you can make your own using this recipe below
https://www.finecooking.com/article/how-to-make-a-homemade-substitute-for-zaatar
@PVC , thanks so much for the article! I'll be looking into this blend soon. Also, there's other great recipes there. 🌹

I use a dense sourdough type bread and spread it with softened butter full of minced garlic. I then roast it in the oven until it is lightly browned. I then sprinkle the bread with shredded mozzarella cheese and slip it under the broiler until the cheese is browned and melted. Delicious.
@Lewkat , I never thought of sourdough for garlic bread; great idea! I like to use a mix of olive oil and butter and of course, fresh chopped garlic.

Back