Gas Hot Water Systems

hypochondriac

We finally had to replace ours. It was 16 years old which is a fair run I guess. Cost 1000 Aussie bucks including Labor. Three months ago we got a leak and were advised to change it then. Got another leak at the weekend. This time at the base. Im hoping this one lasts as long as the other one. I think it is one of the cheaper varieties.

We finally had to replace ours. It was 16 years old which is a fair run I guess. Cost 1000 Aussie bucks including Labor. Three months ago we got a leak and were advised to change it then. Got another leak at the weekend. This time at the base. Im hoping this one lasts as long as the other one. I think it is one of the cheaper varieties.
Seems reasonable since here a brand name new 10 yr. gas unit can cost around $550.00 without installation.

My plumber included a new water heater with my re-pipe. He said the average life of a water heater is around 7-10 years. But if you drain it once/year, it can last 20 years. That's because sediment collects at the bottom of the tank & the water heater has to work much harder to heat the water above the sediment. Draining it extends the life of the unit.

if you see my link, ours cost almost £1400 without the installation
It looks like yours supply's heated water for your general use & house heating system. Ours is strictly for bathing & faucet water. I guessed that was what Hypochondriac was posting about.

I replaced mine back in March of last year. It was 19 years old. The new one cost $875 bucks installed. At that time the gas company was offering rebates if you replaced your appliances with gas ones. Even if your old appliance was gas, which my hot water heater was. So of course I replaced it with another gas heater. It would have been more expensive to switch over to electric. The rebate deal said the rebate would be "up to $350." Being a skeptic and a cynic I figured I'd get $25 or maybe $50 bucks tops since I was replacing gas with gas. But I went ahead and filled out the forms and had the installer sign them and sent them in. But to my surprise about a month later a check arrived from the gas company for the full $350! So I got away for $525 out of pocket.

My wife and I were just discussing this today. Ours is at least 16 years old and may be on its last feet. Do water heaters have feet? Anyway, we were looking at electric on demand and we both like them. I want to do more research on them first.

Back