GFCI question

Reason it's an issue: shutting off the electricity caused me to lose my PC.
I told inspector it probably would not restart if it were turned off, and that's exactly what happened.

Your PC shouldn't fail just because the power went off.
If the circuit is live then your PC should work fine, unless there's an unrelated PC issue.
First make sure the circuit is live, for example by plugging in a small light, and then the PC should go on.

Well, if he failed to impress you, then he wasted his time. 😉
I had PC that had problems. It stayed in working order AS LONG AS IT WAS NOT TURNED OFF. When inspector said it would have to go off to check electricity, I said it might not restart. And it didn't. As I informed this individual of the likely consequences, I believe they should take responsibility for my now-dead computer.

I had PC that had problems. It stayed in working order AS LONG AS IT WAS NOT TURNED OFF. When inspector said it would have to go off to check electricity, I said it might not restart. And it didn't. As I informed this individual of the likely consequences, I believe they should take responsibility for my now-dead computer.
But you know they won't, right? I'm sure sorry about it, but they'll just say you had a temporary surge of unknown cause, or something like that.

Sorry, Janice. That's a bummer.

So is what you're saying that all it takes to check safety issues is to use a device like that IN a GFCI outlet- and that shutting off electricity, and NOT using any device in outlet, is NOT the way to do it?

Reason this is important is I need to know I have all the facts straight.
Use the tester pictured. If the light marked "correct" is lit, all is good. If any others are, read what it says next to the light. That's what's wrong.

When my power goes out and my computer shuts down, I usually have to reboot it 3 times and sometimes it's more. Sometimes the tower lights don't even come on. Then I have to unplug and replug into the wall outlet, and then go through the 3 reboots. Don't give up. It's a computer, and they all have their own idiosyncrasies.

and that's what the inspector should have done, right?
Yes. That guy was just making it look like he was doing an inspection so that place could check that off the list of requirements to keep their permits and licenses and whatever.

BTW, nothing's going to register while the power source is switched off.

Is your computer still not powering up?

Back