Going to apply for Medicaid

Marie5656

So, I have had Medicare for years, as most of us have, I presume. Now, I will start the process to get Medicaid. I do qualify. Just have to get the appropriate paperwork together and filled out. Going Monday to my county, Dept of Social Services to get the appropriate paperwork together.
Then to fill it out. I know I will get better services. A big one, for me at least, I will qualify for a Home health aide. Someone to help me with my showering and personal care. I have a shower chair, inside a bath tub. No walk in shower as my bath tub is not accessible.
Thing is, since my last hip surgery, it is harder for me to get both legs up into the tub without a helping hand. So I am figuring 2-3 days a week for the extra in shower help

Hope it is not too much of a hassle, though some of the seniors here have said they will help me and look over my forms to assure I have filled them out correctly

Marie, is your apartment under HUD? If so, the "reasonable accommodation" is a regulation that states if you need something in your apartment, (such as a cutout on your tub) the landlord has to provide it. Last year, a lady in my building could not get in and out of her tub easily due to her health condition. She got a paper from her doctor stating she needed it. That was all it took. She can take showers easily now and is really happy about it.

Of course that is true, what @katlupe said;

Another possibility to keep in mind though, is that I believe that they might be allowed to offer some other apartment that is more accessible, rather than accommodating hers.

I do not know if she then has to accept it and move, nor do I know, of course, if it would be someplace she would be happy to move to. If her building has some accessible ones, she might be put on a waitlist for one of those.

I would want to know, before I asked for the accommodation, if I would be forced to move instead, or if the choice of staying where I am, would be left up to me.

Otherwise, it is a simple form, which your doctor signs off on, if you need something. It's not a big deal, if it is some small thing that would easily be done within a person's present apartment. Such as changing the sink faucet handles to ones that are easier to grip than the small turn ones.

Last edited:
Of course that is true, what @katlupe said;

Another possibility to keep in mind though, is that I believe that they might be allowed to offer some other apartment that is more accessible, rather than accommodating hers.

I do not know if she then has to accept it and move, nor do I know, of course, if it would be someplace she would be happy to move to. If her building has some accessible ones, she might be put on a waitlist for one of those.

I would want to know, before I asked for the accommodation, if I would be forced to move instead, or if the choice of staying where I am, would be left up to me.

Otherwise, it is a simple form, which your doctor signs off on, if you need something. It's not a big deal, if it is some small thing that would easily be done within a person's present apartment. Such as changing the sink faucet handles to ones that are easier to grip than the small turn ones.
It is actually an easy process to change the tub. In our building our maintenance man does it. A number of people have had it done. Nobody that requested it here was told they had to move to another apartment.

Marie, is your apartment under HUD? If so, the "reasonable accommodation" is a regulation that states if you need something in your apartment, (such as a cutout on your tub) the landlord has to provide it. Last year, a lady in my building could not get in and out of her tub easily due to her health condition. She got a paper from her doctor stating she needed it. That was all it took. She can take showers easily now and is really happy about it.
Yes, I am HUD. Some of our apartments are already adapted with the cut out tubs. I am going to ask if I can get one here, without having to move to one with the accessible tub. I am going to DSS in next day or two to get the application process for Medicaid started

Well, spent the morning running around getting all my paperwork together as people were coming today to help us with paperwork. This including me having to run to City Hall to get my birth certificate. Got downstairs about 15 minutes early to turn everything in only to find out they cancelled and rescheduled for next week. SIGH

I found Medicare pretty easy to sign up for. I have parts A and B, but not D. D is the prescription thing I tried it for a few years but it seemed to me to be a waste of money. I don't get a lot of prescription drugs. I did all the signing up online.

I like it pretty well, seems to cover all I need it to.

For me the more complex thing is figuring out a supplemental plan. I got one from AARP, but am not sure I got the best deal...

I found Medicare pretty easy to sign up for. I have parts A and B, but not D. D is the prescription thing I tried it for a few years but it seemed to me to be a waste of money. I don't get a lot of prescription drugs. I did all the signing up online.

For me the more complex thing is figuring out a supplemental plan. I got one from AARP, but am not sure I got the best deal...
Marie is preparing to sign up for Medicaid...whole different process.

Hey, how's your healing coming along?
Slow but sure, it still hurts and my knees don't work as well as I'd like. But it is getting better all the time, just a lot more slowly than I'd like. I am at about 5 months and the doctor says full recovery usually takes 12 to 18 months so I guess all is what it should be. Thanks for asking!

Slow but sure, it still hurts and my knees don't work as well as I'd like. But it is getting better all the time, just a lot more slowly than I'd like. I am at about 5 months and the doctor says full recovery usually takes 12 to 18 months so I guess all is what it should be. Thanks for asking!
You're welcome of course.🤲🏽

I hope you get it all worked out Marie.

I don't know if I'd qualify for that should I ever reach the age and the need. I've heard they can't garnish social security for medical bills but what can they about your home if you own one?

Remy, this is for you:
How the Increased California Homestead Exemption Helps Protect Your Home in Bankruptcy
https://www.bankruptcypower.com/blog/how-the-increased-california-homestead-exemption-helps-protect-your-home-in-bankruptcy.
Posted: December 21, 2021
(excerpt)
California’s law on debt collection protects homeowners by preventing creditors from reaching a portion of the equity in the debtor’s primary home. The homestead exemption, as it is known, has helped people avoid losing their homes in Chapter 7 bankruptcy. But as real estate prices climbed over the years, the exemption amount stayed low — so low that many bankruptcy filers had hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity that could not be protected. Finally, in 2021, the California legislature raised the exemption amount in an attempt to remedy this issue.

========

Also, people should be aware that retirement accounts such as 401k, 403b, etc. are protected in bankruptcy. IRAs are protected only up to $1M - this is not codified into law, but is generally accepted due to an IRS lawsuit which had to accept a federal judge's decision regarding large IRAs. However, Inherited IRAs (although I don't think many on SeniorForums have any of these) are NOT considered a "protected retirement asset", by decision of the SCOTUS back in 2016 or 2017, and can be seized by creditors, whether through bankruptcy or legal liability.

What part B plan did you get? I will be looking to get part B in the near future.

You should get a walk-in shower installed. They aren’t all that expensive and you should have one. Maybe find a retired plumber in your building willing to have a go at it. If I lived closer, I would do it, except I’m no plumber, but if I have to, I will, but it takes me longer than it should.

A few months ago, right after Christmas, me and the neighbor’s son removed his tub from the hallway bathroom and put in a walk-in shower. His older sister (91) comes to visit and had both hips replaced and can’t get in the tub, which wouldn’t matter anyway because she also can’t get up out of the tub without help. My neighbor is 88 and his son is 62, my age, so we did it together. I was going to do it by myself, but I’m not a plumber and the son is and has his own business. I did most of the labor, but he did the plumbing and fixed the ceiling. Once you get the tub out, it becomes an easy job, although I did have a small issue putting in the drain. They have a lot of choices now.

When the neighbor told me about what he wanted done, I volunteered to do it all, except for the plumbing. I also put in new lighting. His son did the plumbing and new ceiling. When we were done, he handed me a bunch of hundred dollar bills. Five of them to be exact. I told him no way was I taking his money. I know the old boy is probably loaded, but I offered to do the job and never expected to get paid. I like repairing and installing new anything. I have to paint the ceiling, which I will do on Tuesday.

OMG. Hopefully nearing the end of my Medicaid application saga. The other day a friend and I drove into Monroe County (where I used to live, and where Rick died) to get his death certificate. Needed for my application. Went to Penfield town Hall...Nope, not there. Go to Dept of Social Services, they said. Went there...NOPE have to go to a different location, and oh by the way...you have to call first to make an appointment, SIGH. So I gave up and went home....then TODAY a friend here told me..Oh, you can order it online from the County. WTF!!!! So, 10 minuites online and I will have it in a week.

So very many tasks, are becoming increasingly difficult, for those without computers or internet access. Of which there are still plenty of people.

As well as for those of us who try to do things, the old ways, or ways that we think would work, or if we actually prefer to do any particular task, not online, for any reason.

But very glad that you could order yours, today,
easily and finally, @Marie5656 !

Back