Good Bye George

Well, currently we have greedy self-absorbed profit motive health insurance companies,
Who got that way with loads of help from congress. There's a lot of you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours going on in Washington DC. The way health insurance companies work should be illegal. Well, guess who made it legal?

Mandatory service was right there, being proposed, in Congress...back, oh, I think in the late 80s.

Some idiots came in, claiming it was an affront to freedom or some nonsense and got it quashed. And, I am pretty sure there was some nonsense political agenda behind it. I think the party that did not propose it first, did not want the other political party to "get a win." So, in their political fight, they prevented our country from getting an enormous amount of public service and giving these young people a strong life lesson of helping, caring, service and on...

We absolutely should require youth to do service, oh, for maybe two years after high school. What a huge body of manpower to help all kinds of social ills.

Doesn't have to be military service. Could just be 18 year olds tutoring little grammar school kids. Students working in hospitals, nursing homes, doing all kinds of needed service for the country.

Slavery, Involuntary Servitude. I'd fight it with my last breath. Old people forcibly directing and stealing the lives of young people. Just like the old sending the young to wars they don't attend. Why? Because You forgot what it is like to be young because you're old. Old and controlling, old and demanding. Old.

Would there be deferments for teen mothers? Or, if a youth is responsible for the well being of his/her family? Just stealing a kid out of his/her environment? Because you say so?

This is a freedom issue, not merely a discussion of I believe this or that..............I believe in slavery, you don't. Those are fighting words, not mere opinions.

I fought the draft with my whole life & soul. I didn't want my young American brothers being forced to "serve," when actually they were forced to be fodder for an old man's war.

So, sit in your recliners and decide life for other people, young people, my grandson among them. Nope. No. Boss around someone else besides youth to fill your need to still control something while you're still breathing.

Of course you can't join the Army in middle age!
As for character building, a move like this will basically only infect the poorer classes. Yes, we all know poor people desperately need character building. That says a lot @Em in Ohio about true intent.

"....youth should have to give of themselves...." Should. Should. Should. You should do this and do that. Not me. YOU is what you are telling Youth. How dare you.
You obviously don't know me and it appears to me that you lack emotional maturity. Perhaps you should rename yourself "Salty." Name calling is beneath a mature adult.

Slavery, Involuntary Servitude. I'd fight it with my last breath. Old people forcibly directing and stealing the lives of young people. Just like the old sending the young to wars they don't attend. Why? Because You forgot what it is like to be young because you're old. Old and controlling, old and demanding. Old.

Would there be deferments for teen mothers? Or, if a youth is responsible for the well being of his/her family? Just stealing a kid out of his/her environment? Because you say so?

This is a freedom issue, not merely a discussion of I believe this or that..............I believe in slavery, you don't. Those are fighting words, not mere opinions.

I fought the draft with my whole life & soul. I didn't want my young American brothers being forced to "serve," when actually they were forced to be fodder for an old man's war.

So, sit in your recliners and decide life for other people, young people, my grandson among them. Nope. No. Boss around someone else besides youth to fill your need to still control something while you're still breathing.

All the world's major religions as well as Ethical Humanism...all call for compassionate service. The Good Samaritan Parable is a call to help others generally, not just one incident of one man on the side of the road. And all the world's major religions have similar parables and teachings.

I'm not impressed by using the principles of your religious faith to decide what is best for the masses. Separate church and state. I see not only do you want involuntary servitude, but you want it in the name of religion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forcing work AND your religious views on others! Way to go! NO, won't let that happen, would fight it to my last breath. Always wanted to die fighting for something I believe in. Charge!

In high school, I did reading for the blind. We also did paper drives. Back in the 70s, I would guess that about 60% - 70% of the students did volunteer work of some kind. Through their churches and synagogues and also through service clubs like the Key Club or the Lions Club...

And most of the students who did not do volunteer work, didn't do it, because they had jobs and absolutely did not have the time.

Back then, I was a science guy. I was pre-med. I became a volunteer at a hospital. That was a common type of volunteer work that the gals did. They were called "Candy Stripers." I am pretty sure that every single last guy there was like me, someone pre-med, eventually looking to be a doctor.

And, it was not only real service, but a real education. Back then, we did not just deliver books and newspapers...we were called to the pharmacy station and we took the medications up to the nurses station. It is a very different thing to work with medication bottles in a real world setting, rather than just reading some text on a page.

We interacted with the doctors, and nurses and patients.

I remember passing by the Post-Op ward. This man yelled out, "Hey kid! How did the Yankees do last night?" He clearly was in a lot of pain. He just wanted to talk to someone, to distract him from the pain. You learn a lot from those experiences.

Also, you know, the entire thing was no big deal. They hardly worked us like slave drivers. We just worked like mail messengers, taking things around the hospital. And it was never a burden or anything.

And, you know, I also delivered something to the room of someone in a coma. That was, you know, a very difficult thing to see. But that is why you want to be a doctor...to help people in pain.

In high school, I did reading for the blind. We also did paper drives. Back in the 70s, I would guess that about 60% - 70% of the students did volunteer work of some kind. Through their churches and synagogues and also through service clubs like the Key Club or the Lions Club...

And most of the students who did not do volunteer work, didn't do it, because they had jobs and absolutely did not have the time.

Back then, I was a science guy. I was pre-med. I became a volunteer at a hospital. That was a common type of volunteer work that the gals did. They were called "Candy Stripers." I am pretty sure that every single last guy there was like me, someone pre-med, eventually looking to be a doctor.

And, it was not only real service, but a real education. Back then, we did not just deliver books and newspapers...we were called to the pharmacy station and we took the medications up to the nurses station. It is a very different thing to work with medication bottles in a real world setting, rather than just reading some text on a page.

We interacted with the doctors, and nurses and patients.

I remember passing by the Post-Op ward. This man yelled out, "Hey kid! How did the Yankees do last night?" He clearly was in a lot of pain. He just wanted to talk to someone, to distract him from the pain. You learn a lot from those experiences.

Also, you know, the entire thing was no big deal. They hardly worked us like slave drivers. We just worked like mail messengers, taking things around the hospital. And it was never a burden or anything.

And, you know, I also delivered something to the room of someone in a coma. That was, you know, a very difficult thing to see. But that is why you want to be a doctor...to help people in pain.
Thanks for YOUR service!

Thanks for YOUR service!

Oh, well, thanks, appreciated. But it really wasn't much. Surviving my lunatic relatives...now THAT has been work!:):):)

Much later, as an adult, I got to do some reasonable work. I was able to intercede with two different combat vets who went into PTSD episodes. That was scary, difficult and dangerous work. Luckily, I was able to keep them calm and safe. And I do think luck is the right word there. But for how scary it was....that made me feel like it was good hard work.

I am convinced that nearly every single last one of us has been called to do many, many difficult things in life. And everyone has suffered great problems and loss. Personally, I think we all deserve a few medals.

If I were to get any medals, I would like one of them to be made out of dark chocolate, if that is possible...:):):)

Could you have found a photo of Canadian WW2 soldiers to illustrate your post ? After all there were more than a million of them serving over seas during the war. In the modern era the Canadian Forces are NOT in the business of "turning young people around ". The CAF recruits volunteers who want to serve, and rejects those who are not able to adapt to military life. So where did George live in Canada ? Jimb.
Small town of Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba

I'm not impressed by using the principles of your religious faith to decide what is best for the masses. Separate church and state. I see not only do you want involuntary servitude, but you want it in the name of religion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forcing work AND your religious views on others! Way to go! NO, won't let that happen, would fight it to my last breath. Always wanted to die fighting for something I believe in. Charge!

I would respond, but I am currently deeply engaged with this video...

Those who think a government driven healthcare system would be better, ask yourselves the question why many Canadians cross the border to come to the USA to have operations and treatments. The primary problem is that in Canada wait times for many procedures are very long. In the USA you can get what you need fairly quickly. Most of the world is using a government health system. Yet Americans recognize that our healthcare system is one of the best, if not the best in the world. Free market capitalism works...

Those who think a government driven healthcare system would be better, ask yourselves the question why many Canadians cross the border to come to the USA to have operations and treatments. The primary problem is that in Canada wait times for many procedures are very long. In the USA you can get what you need fairly quickly. Most of the world is using a government health system. Yet Americans recognize that our healthcare system is one of the best, if not the best in the world. Free market capitalism works...
Once again, the myth rolls around. "Many " Canadians DO NOT go to the USA for medical treatment. In my 75 years living in Canada, I do not know anyone who "went to the States " for medical care. On the other hand , thousands of Americans DO GO to Mexico, India, and the Phillipines every year, for CHEAPER medical care. Keep on pushing that agenda , Timewise. The Canadians on this forum will be right along to punch holes in your so called facts. JImB.

Being the history buff that I am, I am always saddened to hear if a WWII soldier die. They take with them so much history, especially the soldiers that had fought in some of the more famous battles. However, anytime I see a veteran wearing a WWII cap, I am somehow talking to them. It’s not easy for me to walk up to a complete stranger and start a conversation about his time during WWII, although I gave been rewarded with meeting some very interesting men.

One of my favorite people was a man who was in Hawaii the morning the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. We met in a grocery store and luckily, he was by himself. We spoke for almost two hours. The bad part was that he was visiting from another state and had just came into the store to pick up supplies before heading back to the campground.

The man that I really wanted to meet was Edgar Harrell, who was a survivor from the USS Indianapolis. I wanted to attend a reunion of the shipmates that had survived, which was held every year, but each year something else would come up. Now, all but 3 gave passed away. Check out his story here:

Back