Google Chrome

Mike

I can add this to my Windows 10 machine, this I have
known for some time now, but have hesitated so far.

When you mention your Chromebook Ken, I get the
impression that the operating system is something
different from either Windows or Apple, is this so?

Windows have installed an App in Windows 10 called
"Your Phone", it is some system that is supposed to work
on a computer like a phone App, but reports suggest
that it works better on an android phone than a PC.

I am thinking about changing things.

Mike.

Use Edge as it came that way on my computer. Use chrome sometimes when a survey does not load in Edge.

The Google Chrome browser is changing the way it handles some website cookies on Feb 4, 2020. Not saying it is bad or good, just a new version, with changes that may impact your browsing experience on some websites.

Chromeis my default browser on lap top which has been W10 for a few years and suits me with my simple usage. I use M/Edge and have tried Opera but stick with Chrome faults and all but then Im not sure what faults it may have. I gave Mozilla FF the boot a few years ago as I was invaded with an internet browser hacker and it took over and had to get rid.

On my phone I use Chrome and Samsung Internet ans so far trouble free

When you mention your Chromebook Ken, I get the
impression that the operating system is something
different from either Windows or Apple, is this so?
Yes, it is a chrome OS...No windows involved..

Google Chromebook is a thin client laptop that is configured with the Chrome operating system (Chrome OS). Because the only software application that Chrome OS can run locally is the Google Chrome browser, a Chromebook is often described as a browser-in-a-box.

>>WHY GET A CHROMEBOOK<<

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies and yours about the OS Ken
all are helpful.

I was toying with the idea of changing the OS on my
machine, but I have only windows programmes and
I doubt if I could replace them all with any others.

I don't like Lap-Tops, though I do have a Tablet with
a clip on keyboard, but that is for emergencies like
my PC going down, I find the keys too small and my
fingers too big and clumsy.

I will think on!

Mike.

Mike,
If it's Chrome browser you want to use, then go ahead and download it, it can be used side by side or instead, of whatever other browser you use ie, Firefox/edge/ etc.
The Chrome o/s is something else entirely and would mean a complete reinstall of everything on your computer, which is not recommended.!

Thank you for the replies and yours about the OS Ken
all are helpful.

I was toying with the idea of changing the OS on my
machine, but I have only windows programmes and
I doubt if I could replace them all with any others.

I don't like Lap-Tops, though I do have a Tablet with
a clip on keyboard, but that is for emergencies like
my PC going down, I find the keys too small and my
fingers too big and clumsy.

I will think on!

Mike.

Mike, there's also the option of using a 'Chromebox.' It's the same as a Chromebook but it's just a small box. You attach all your peripherals (keyboard, monitor, speakers..) to it. I swapped out the missus' old Windows tower with a Chromebox and it's working out for her.

I just had to download google chrome yesterday because the free file income tax software i wanted to use wouldn't work in internet explorer. I have windows 7 on a laptop that is several years old & no plans to go to 10 & was afraid would mess things up but so far ok. The tax prep went fine. I use the laptop mainly if I want to print. iPad or phone for most everything else.

Back