Grandkids and trying not to be an Ogre

Bob4now

I’m gonna ramble (and rant a little) for a bit, not sure what my point will be…

Raised 5 kids, and have 7 grandkids. Yes, very blessed, beyond measure. I completely get that and thank God every single day (honestly) for that. But, da** ( not sure if that word is allowed here), it’s getting tough. I think my standard is based on my experience with my folks and grandparents, and that was a mistake. Pretty much on my own since 17, college/work/life, loved my parents and grandfather, but didn’t really cling to any of them, nor did I depend on them for anything.

Fast forward 40 years, supporting one son and family about 75% financially, another three pretty heavily or frequently. Just the way things are. Not planned and I honestly don’t think they’re taking advantage of it. Not looking for a medal or anything…just exhaling my thoughts. I love them all dearly, but da** (reference comment above).

Soooo, I’ve had one return with their toddlers, and it was tough. Since I’m retired, this is the first of a 24/7 experience with tiny kids. Yeah, a lot tougher than what I remember experiencing from raising our kids. I’m sure it was due to being at work most of the time. That lasted 6 months, and had a positive effect of minimizing our home (unhoarding). Again, thankful we were able to do it and help them get their own place.

Now…my daughter is here with her two kids. Again, my choice, my decision, and a total blessing. If you know me, you’ll know why. It has been exponentially tougher this go around. I know it’s the right thing to do, but da**, it ain’t easy.

So what’s the point of this ramble? I’m not sure. But it feels better to get a little weight off my chest. Thank you for tuning in, I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

I’m gonna ramble (and rant a little) for a bit, not sure what my point will be…

Raised 5 kids, and have 7 grandkids. Yes, very blessed, beyond measure. I completely get that and thank God every single day (honestly) for that. But, da** ( not sure if that word is allowed here), it’s getting tough. I think my standard is based on my experience with my folks and grandparents, and that was a mistake. Pretty much on my own since 17, college/work/life, loved my parents and grandfather, but didn’t really cling to any of them, nor did I depend on them for anything.

Fast forward 40 years, supporting one son and family about 75% financially, another three pretty heavily or frequently. Just the way things are. Not planned and I honestly don’t think they’re taking advantage of it. Not looking for a medal or anything…just exhaling my thoughts. I love them all dearly, but da** (reference comment above).

Soooo, I’ve had one return with their toddlers, and it was tough. Since I’m retired, this is the first of a 24/7 experience with tiny kids. Yeah, a lot tougher than what I remember experiencing from raising our kids. I’m sure it was due to being at work most of the time. That lasted 6 months, and had a positive effect of minimizing our home (unhoarding). Again, thankful we were able to do it and help them get their own place.

Now…my daughter is here with her two kids. Again, my choice, my decision, and a total blessing. If you know me, you’ll know why. It has been exponentially tougher this go around. I know it’s the right thing to do, but da**, it ain’t easy.

So what’s the point of this ramble? I’m not sure. But it feels better to get a little weight off my chest. Thank you for tuning in, I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Good man, and good material for a sit-com. And I do understand where you are coming from. It's not always easy but it's all about the love and doing what you can to help and make things better the ones you love. Many blessings to you, and to all your family, Bob4now.

Wow, it's a lot but that's what we do for family. I'm glad you don't feel taken advantage of. I'm sure they would like things to be different but grateful they can depend on you.
Make sure you have somewhere you can get away to when needed like club or golf or something for you.

Wow, it's a lot but that's what we do for family. I'm glad you don't feel taken advantage of. I'm sure they would like things to be different but grateful they can depend on you.
Make sure you have somewhere you can get away to when needed like club or golf or something for you.
Funny you should say that. I always encourage others to have a hobby, whatever it is. I didn’t, always coaching or ubering (before it was a thing) the family everywhere we needed to be.

Back