Grass or white Dutch clover for a lawn?

Aneeda72

We have the area cleared and ready to plant. He wants to put the grass seed in now, but I’ve told him it’s too hot. I’ve read up on white Dutch clover as an alternative lawn especially since our soil is so poor. We could spread it now. What do you think?

Any other suggestions for a ground cover in the front yard?

Just a different option for you, or at best another idea to ponder.

What I love about Phlox is, the colour, and so many different colours.
I’m afraid I would get too many snails though. It’s such a hard choice as it’s so late in the year lots of stuff can’t be planted now

I’m afraid I would get too many snails though. It’s such a hard choice as it’s so late in the year lots of stuff can’t be planted now
I definitely wouldn't attempt to plant any ground-cover type flowering plants/flowers now. You're absolutely right, it's getting too late in the season now for it to establish itself.

You can ponder over winter and in the springtime next year, roll-out a game-plan for your plantings! :)

Have enjoyed Phlox for years, on the farm, when well taken care of, spread beautifully, but i did find it doesn't like excess wet, likes dry better, where i live.
Dutch clover.....white clover.....are these the same.....i do have a creeping white flower clover......love it.....would this be what you're talking about.

Have enjoyed Phlox for years, on the farm, when well taken care of, spread beautifully, but i did find it doesn't like excess wet, likes dry better, where i live.
Dutch clover.....white clover.....are these the same.....i do have a creeping white flower clover......love it.....would this be what you're talking about.
Micka. I've always known it as White Dutch Clover, and the nice part is, it's a perennial. :)

The best time to put down grass seed would be in the fall. If you have poor soil - it could take a lot of prep work. I would put down a load of dry manure, topsoil or loam, rake it or rototill it in so it won't burn the seed you put down later. IF you seed now, you will have to cover it well with straw and water it twice a day in the heat until it is well established.

We had grass here but when we added on to the living room, the trucks and diggers tore up the lawn in the back. Now its mostly weeds (that we keep mowed) but I am happy to see clover. Clover used to be the lawn of choice however, I also remember running around barefoot and having bee stings on both feet one summer!! The flowers are great for bees so I vote for that!! Remember that weed killer for lawns will kill off any broad leaf plant - that includes clover. Phlox is pretty but you cannot mow it and cannot walk on it easily. Good luck!

Yes, less water than grass, no mowing

We've talked with a few people that swear by fall as being an ideal time to plant grass seed, yet both times we tried, we found ourselves redoing the seed in the spring, so now we do all of our new seeding as well as over-seeding in the early spring.

Once the seed is down, we use peat moss or a quality growth agent with a percentage of vermiculite in it, top the seed off with that, water lightly as many times through the day to keep the seed moist, and 2 weeks later, fresh new lawn.

As for my phlox suggestion, I was hoping to throw something different Aneeda's way, over and above clover.

The best time to put down grass seed would be in the fall. If you have poor soil - it could take a lot of prep work. I would put down a load of dry manure, topsoil or loam, rake it or rototill it in so it won't burn the seed you put down later. IF you seed now, you will have to cover it well with straw and water it twice a day in the heat until it is well established.

We had grass here but when we added on to the living room, the trucks and diggers tore up the lawn in the back. Now its mostly weeds (that we keep mowed) but I am happy to see clover. Clover used to be the lawn of choice however, I also remember running around barefoot and having bee stings on both feet one summer!! The flowers are great for bees so I vote for that!! Remember that weed killer for lawns will kill off any broad leaf plant - that includes clover. Phlox is pretty but you cannot mow it and cannot walk on it easily. Good luck!
I am leaning towards the clover, our soil is really poor and the clover is supposed to help it recover

We've talked with a few people that swear by fall as being an ideal time to plant grass seed, yet both times we tried, we found ourselves redoing the seed in the spring, so now we do all of our new seeding as well as over-seeding in the early spring.

Once the seed is down, we use peat moss or a quality growth agent with a percentage of vermiculite in it, top the seed off with that, water lightly as many times through the day to keep the seed moist, and 2 weeks later, fresh new lawn.

As for my phlox suggestion, I was hoping to throw something different Aneeda's way, over and above clover.
I like the phlox but it is the front lawn and will be walked on. My son wants grass and says he will mow it as we are both allergic to grass. I am really fighting to convince husband planting is done for the year it’s so hot. But as I said I am leaning towards the clover.

I like the phlox but it is the front lawn and will be walked on. My son wants grass and says he will mow it as we are both allergic to grass. I am really fighting to convince husband planting is done for the year it’s so hot. But as I said I am leaning towards the clover.
A great selection, Aneeda!

Once it takes it will help inhibit weed growth, too!

A great selection, Aneeda!

Once it takes it will help inhibit weed growth, too!
I think it will give the yard a “meadow” look which would be nice. Plus we have a flower garden up again the house which is behind decorative fencing, then flowers in front on a small strip, then dirt for now walk way, then an annual flower bed, then yard space, then small strip of flowers next to sidewalk. I think clover inbetween the beds will look better than grass

I think it will give the yard a “meadow” look which would be nice. Plus we have a flower garden up again the house which is behind decorative fencing, then flowers in front on a small strip, then dirt for now walk way, then an annual flower bed, then yard space, then small strip of flowers next to sidewalk. I think clover inbetween the beds will look better than grass
Better than grass... more green, and hardy, too.

Love the sounds of your yard!

Better than grass... more green, and hardy, too.

Love the sounds of your yard!
Thanks, we have worked very very hard on it since our stupid neighbor stripped it down to dirt. I love the color flowers bring. They lighten the heart and bring joy to everyone. Now to get my husband to return the grass seed he bought, 😯. This is the second time he’s bought it.

I made him take it back before as well. 😳

Thanks, we have worked very very hard on it since our stupid neighbor stripped it down to dirt. I love the color flowers bring. They lighten the heart and bring joy to everyone. Now to get my husband to return the grass seed he bought, 😯. This is the second time he’s bought it.

I made him take it back before as well. 😳
Hasn't grass seed gotten expensive!

Hasn't grass seed gotten expensive!
Yes, extremely which is another reason I did not want it. Even though I bought all the flowers except 3 on clearance it has been very expensive. We had to add garden soil and fertilizer to the flowers beds at full price As the soil is so pour.

It cost 7000 to remove the huge Chinese elm, on the property line, and replace the fence in the back. Then we had to set a raised flowerbed in place there and along the back fence, done with bricks, and planted. We had a shed built, as no garage. Just got the Vegetable garden area finished as well.

Just spoke to him and no grass in back either, clover everywhere. This stupid house that he had to have. Ok, done venting for now. 🤪

We have the area cleared and ready to plant. He wants to put the grass seed in now, but I’ve told him it’s too hot. I’ve read up on white Dutch clover as an alternative lawn especially since our soil is so poor. We could spread it now. What do you think? Any other suggestions for a ground cover in the front yard?

It depends upon what part of the country you live in, and the general climate, etc.....no clues in your "profile". Clover makes a nice 'ground cover", but it does not stand up well to Summer heat....we have a bunch, and it is all starting to brown out here in Missouri. Zoysia grass makes a real good ground cover, and it chokes out all the weeds as it spreads...but, it too tends to turn brown in the Summer heat. Kentucky Bluegrass, IMO, makes the nicest looking yard, but it succumbs easily to weeds. In our yard...surrounded by heavy forest, I've had the best luck with Kentucky Fescue seed.

And, in our area, the BEST time to start new grass is to wait until late Winter, and put the seed down before the Last snow of the season. The snow seems to "activate" the seeds, and as soon as the growing season starts, it sprouts quickly.

Try searching for information on your State Dept. of Conservation web site....they usually have some good info on what works best in a given area.

Yes your right.....phlox in not a replacement for grass, i still love the clover, got me thinking again.

Yes, extremely which is another reason I did not want it. Even though I bought all the flowers except 3 on clearance it has been very expensive. We had to add garden soil and fertilizer to the flowers beds at full price As the soil is so pour.

It cost 7000 to remove the huge Chinese elm, on the property line, and replace the fence in the back. Then we had to set a raised flowerbed in place there and along the back fence, done with bricks, and planted. We had a shed built, as no garage. Just got the Vegetable garden area finished as well.

Just spoke to him and no grass in back either, clover everywhere. This stupid house that he had to have. Ok, done venting for now. 🤪
Sounds beautiful!

Raised flowerbeds in brick, wow! One of my weaknesses.

Sounds so lovely. :)

From what I read mixing clover with grass seed would be a good solution, and I have found no matter what you plant, when you have 100 degree very dry weather, stuff is going to die and grass is going to brown.

I have already lost plants to the heat even though I am good about watering. Also certain plants dislike where they are while a different plant will thrive in the same location. It’s all about soil type drainage etc. That’s why I am choosing the clover, it says it does well in poor soil.

Plus it will look great against the various flower beds.

I suppose I could mix it with grass seed and see what happens, but the planting times are a bit different. Sigh. You’d think planting a ground cover would be less complicated. I think I will end up seeding in both fall and spring to even get a hope of a good lawn.

From what I read mixing clover with grass seed would be a good solution, and I have found no matter what you plant, when you have 100 degree very dry weather, stuff is going to die and grass is going to brown.

I have already lost plants to the heat even though I am good about watering. Also certain plants dislike where they are while a different plant will thrive in the same location. It’s all about soil type drainage etc. That’s why I am choosing the clover, it says it does well in poor soil.

Plus it will look great against the various flower beds.

I suppose I could mix it with grass seed and see what happens, but the planting times are a bit different. Sigh. You’d think planting a ground cover would be less complicated. I think I will end up seeding in both fall and spring to even get a hope of a good lawn.
Very true, extended heat waves definitely takes it's toll on plantings of all varieties.

If you do decide to seed in the fall, that's great, and if it takes well, even better, but if not, you'll have spring to fine-tune bare patches.

Very excited for you, Aneeda! :)

Back