Great & Meaningful Quotes

main-qimg-ea7840c016f23de2f52ae8bc6cbe677a

"[M]yth[:]…what the big religion calls the little religion… "
~~from “Open Letter to [Science Fiction/Fantasy Conventions] from the Indians No Longer in the Background of a John Wayne Movie” by Stephen Graham Jones, Tor.com Personal Essays, 5/19/21

"Not creative enough to make up my own imaginary friends, I depended on the world’s greatest writers to distract me when the tension between my parents got too intense. I certainly couldn’t ask real live classmates to come home with me for snickerdoodles and cocoa and shattered glass."

~~from To the Stars Through Difficulties by Romalyn Tilghman

"Not creative enough to make up my own imaginary friends, I depended on the world’s greatest writers to distract me when the tension between my parents got too intense. I certainly couldn’t ask real live classmates to come home with me for snickerdoodles and cocoa and shattered glass."

~~from To the Stars Through Difficulties by Romalyn Tilghman
I like that quote because it reminds me of where I came from but shattered glass wasn't there. Still, I used books as a getaway from a turbulent world that was beyond my control. Thanks for the memories!

“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”
Theodore Rosevelt

I like that quote because it reminds me of where I came from but shattered glass wasn't there. Still, I used books as a getaway from a turbulent world that was beyond my control. Thanks for the memories!
Oh no, sorry I resurrected bad memories for you; I know what that feels like; there wasn't any shattered glass for me either but broken furniture, lamps, etc., sigh.

Back