Grocery shopping for single seniors

That is just a tragedy, how you will every survive. Get the new freezer now! LOL

I buy the larger size packages of meat and vacuum pack them into one person size helpings. I changed my old family recipes for one person for more than one meal. I was wasting vegetables that I did not use up. I didn't want to buy frozen ones because they take up the space in the freezer that I need for meats. So I bought dehydrated ones, onions, peppers, celery, carrot dices and green beans.

There is one little grocery, (quite a ways away) where (Bless his heart) the produce manager
breaks up clumps of celery, carrots, green onions, etc,, in case you don't want to buy a dozen
carrots at a time or a whole clump of celery.
Not worth the gas to travel there, but I stop if I'm in that area.
It's nice for people living alone.

I think that this brings up the point, that if you do have good relationship with a store and with the store manager, you can always ask for some kind of special treatment. Whether that is them delivering food to your house or other things.

Certainly, they will nearly always do it for compensation.

And sometimes, you know, you will just pull at their heart strings and they will do it for you..

No matter what, people do love the feeling they get from helping other people...and will sometimes surprise folks with what they will do to help.

In NY state there is the Farmer's Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) that runs from June through November 30th. They distribute coupons to be used at your local farmer's markets. It is income based. If you are interested in it and wonder how to apply for it contact your local office for the aging.
They were distributing the vouchers at the senior center I attended for our local farmer's market. I wasn't eligible due to my income but those vouchers helped those who were, for sure. An organization also distributes boxes of produce and some canned goods right around the corner from me. A couple of my neighbors, who's are both blind take full advantage. One of them shared some fruit with me a couple of times, because I had gotten him on the list of seniors who were getting free dinners a few times a week during COVID. After accepting the fruit a couple of times I told him to share the produce with others (who need the help). Very thoughtful post Kat.

If you go to a raw food/whole food diet, you may find it easier to manage the foods. I buy produce for the week and by day 7 it is all used. I make a giant salad made of spinach, kale, onions, peppers, tomatoes, avocado, curry & pepper, olive oil, and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, split in two for dinner and lunch. I supplement this with cooked rice, beans, chicken or fish. There are no leftovers each day other than some cooked chicken or fish to be portioned out throughout the week. Also eat Whole Foods such as oats, nuts, chia, honey and other dry items that keep. This diet can work wonders for your health as well.

Back