Guess how many same sex marriages in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume two men in a committed platonic relationship exist. Would they refer to themselves as gay if not engaged in sexual relations? I don't know.
My partner's brother is gay. He was with someone for many years. They are now just roommates and have lived together for over 30 years, so yes it does happen and they still consider themselves gay. Thank you for asking the question!

Re: the original topic, I would imagine the percentage of same sex marriages is really low because the ability to connect for young gay people has greatly diminished. As much as they are "out and proud", their lives are online now. My partner and I met 30 years ago at a bar, which was then the way to meet someone in person. That opportunity rarely exists these days because everything is online. There are far fewer opportunities to meet these days for younger people, so most of the gay marriages are most likely from older people who were together for years prior to gay marriage becoming legal.

Re: gay divorce, anecdotally we live in a small enclave of homes in a suburb of Dallas. It is by no means considered a "gay" neighborhood and tends to be 50 y/o and up. In our straight/gay circle of friends there are 4 gay couples (including us) and 1 lesbian couple. All are married and have been together for many years. 3 gay couples have left... one to move to a 55+ community, one to move to Colorado and the other because they adopted children. I have no idea how many gay divorces there are but we have gay friends throughout the country and their marriages are all going strong.

Sorry but why is this even a question. People marry when they are in love and committed to building a life together. To make sure that they can provide each other with health insurance, to have someone to make the health decisions in time of crisis, to have a family if they wish.

To make sure their spouse can receive any and all benefits they worked for all their life. Their gender has nothing to do with it, it is about caring for one another in life and after death. We are all Americans and are entitled to everything regardless of our skin color, our sexual preference, religion, financial status. There will always be those that don't agree but would be angry if they were excluded from their rights for some reason.

Sorry but why is this even a question. People marry when they are in love and committed to building a life together. To make sure that they can provide each other with health insurance, to have someone to make the health decisions in time of crisis, to have a family if they wish. To make sure their spouse can receive any and all benefits they worked for all their life. Their gender has nothing to do with it, it is about caring for one another in life and after death. We are all Americans and are entitled to everything regardless of our skin color, our sexual preference, religion, financial status. There will always be those that don't agree but would be angry if they were excluded from their rights for some reason.
Well said, completely agree of course.

Yes, you are hateful and a bigot. You called gay people "faggots" in one of your posts that was deleted. Own it! And any foul language that I posted in my PM to you was well deserved because you are a homophobe. Are you tattling on me? Don't be such a baby!

Yes, you are hateful and a bigot. You called gay people "faggots" in one of your posts that was deleted. Own it! And any foul language that I posted in my PM to you was well deserved because you are a homophobe. Are you tattling on me? Don't be such a baby!
I am not hateful or a bigot I did not call people f4g00t5. I stated that back then gay was a word associated with happiness. I was a fact that homosexual men back then were called f4g5 or qu33r. You are treating me disgustfully. (I later found out a post of mine was deleted and there was no need for that. I was being factual and told the truth.) I call for that post to be reinstated.

Last edited:
I am not hateful or a bigot I did not call people f4g00t5. I stated that back then gay was a word associated with happiness. I was a fact that homosexual men back then were called f4g5 or qu33r. You are treating me disgustfully. (I later found out a post of mine was deleted and there was no need for that. I was being factual and told the truth.) I call for that post to be reinstated.
I look forward to see what @morgan has to say since he/she liked your response.

Re: the original topic, I would imagine the percentage of same sex marriages is really low because the ability to connect for young gay people has greatly diminished. As much as they are "out and proud", their lives are online now. My partner and I met 30 years ago at a bar, which was then the way to meet someone in person. That opportunity rarely exists these days because everything is online. There are far fewer opportunities to meet these days for younger people, so most of the gay marriages are most likely from older people who were together for years prior to gay marriage becoming legal.

Re: gay divorce, anecdotally we live in a small enclave of homes in a suburb of Dallas. It is by no means considered a "gay" neighborhood and tends to be 50 y/o and up. In our straight/gay circle of friends there are 4 gay couples (including us) and 1 lesbian couple. All are married and have been together for many years. 3 gay couples have left... one to move to a 55+ community, one to move to Colorado and the other because they adopted children. I have no idea how many gay divorces there are but we have gay friends throughout the country and their marriages are all going strong.
I don't know, dseag. My 24yr-old granddaughter's best friend was adopted by her 2 dads when she was a baby. They'd been together for over 20 years when same-sex marriage became legal. They celebrated the change in law, but they said they'd never go get legally married, and that they resent the government's judicial system ever having anything to do with marriage, or having any say about it. They consider it a religious thing only, and none of the gov't's business.

I have to say, I agree with that completely. And maybe a lot of gay people do, too. Maybe that's why that number is low.

Sorry but why is this even a question. People marry when they are in love and committed to building a life together. To make sure that they can provide each other with health insurance, to have someone to make the health decisions in time of crisis, to have a family if they wish. To make sure their spouse can receive any and all benefits they worked for all their life. Their gender has nothing to do with it, it is about caring for one another in life and after death. We are all Americans and are entitled to everything regardless of our skin color, our sexual preference, religion, financial status. There will always be those that don't agree but would be angry if they were excluded from their rights for some reason.
Beautifully said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back