Guns and suicide

I have often thought that if the "suicidee" had thought about the aftermath that he was leaving behind for other people, that he might consider a different mode.
There was a book published on this subject back in the 90s that sold many copies.
The suicidee is not just taking his/her own life, but in many instances is punishing the people left behind. It can be a hostile act.

The suicidee is not just taking his/her own life, but in many instances is punishing the people left behind. It can be a hostile act.
That's exactly what I thought about when I learned that Robin Williams hung himself in his family home. He certainly knew his wife & family would find the grisly scene when they got home. He could have gone anywhere else to do it.

When I was in the hospital, I was in intense pain. The staff had to change my position in bed every 4 hours. They gave me medication, but I screamed each time they moved me. After months of this. I wanted to kill myself. I just wanted it to end. I had devised a plan to crush my head by using the electric bed. The only thing that stopped me was I was too weak to get my head into the right position. BTW, I'm an RN, and a Certified Psychiatric Nurse, which didn't help me at all. Had I access to a gun during that time, I doubt I'd be typing this, now. Damn A Right ! A gun is a weapon-a very effective weapon. It has the power to send death to whomever is in its sights. That notion is something hard for gun owners to comprehend. I don't believe being awash in weapons is a good thing. When the only criteria for owning one is the size of your wallet, how can guns not be in the wrong hands? How can you tell who is a "responsible gun owner"?

Last edited:
For those who are so enamoured of their guns, here's a question: How often are guns used for a good purpose, as opposed to those used for a bad one? And before you jump in with, "Well, the police have guns for a good purpose," ask yourself, really? Lately, in this country?

As far as suicide goes, I have mixed feelings. I think there are situations where suicide is justifiable, and is probably a good option to have. The focus shouldn't be on the "tool" that is used to achieve this; it should be on whether it should always be prevented, in all circumstances. This is a hard one to answer. For a person who is temporarily depressed, grieving, in temporary physical pain, or being bullied, no, it should not be easy for them to end their own life. But what about people with horrible illnesses, where there is no hope of recovery? What about people so sunk in depression that there is really no hope of rising out of it? If some of those suicides are justifiable, why not just have pills available, after all other options have been exhausted, as in those countries with medically assisted suicide? Why should a gun be necessary?

But I do think that the original article by Top Washington that I quoted has a good point. He is glad that he didn't have an easy way to do it, which a gun would have provided. He is probably also glad he didn't have a cyanide pill. And he is still here, and hopefully has recovered some joy in life.

That's sadly so true Pepper. The suicide of my brother still affects all of us even after so many years. Our mother never recovered from it and she died a few years later, her heart still broken. His kids grew up traumatized, and still are. Thankfully his wife managed to find a new life, and I still miss having a relationship with her.
I'm thankful none of us had to find him, as he shot himself in his car with a view of our beautiful town, and letters to each of us on the seat beside him. The coroner brought mine to my door as I was nursing my newborn.
It took me many years to forgive him and what he did. Most of all, I still miss him.

Back