Gus is Getting Very Clingy

Believe it or not my bird Kerby is very clingy. As soon as he hears me in the morning he starts squawking. He sits on my shoulder the entire day and has a fit when I put him in our sitting room while I cook or go outside. He doesn't bid my hubby the time of day. He does love my son. He knows when his truck pulls in,then I'm chopped liver until he leaves.
I had a cockatiel which behaved like that. I'd be walking around the house with this bird sitting on my head!

Started about 2 years ago. He also does the laying on the floor behind me. I am working at the kitchen counter and turn around quickly, I have almot tripped over him on several occasions. He also cries when drinking out of his water dish. How he can drink and meow at the same time...I don't know. And many times he just sits at the water bowl with his head extended over it but doesn't drink.

I would take him to the vet. Sounds like he might have something wrong with his mouth or throat or something else that makes it painful to drink.

I was just to the vet with him in May. She told me then his dentition was not good, missing a lot and others in bad shape, but they are antsy about doing dental surgery on such an old cat. They have to use general anesthetic which is risky eve on a younger cat. About 5 years ago I had some of his teeth removed and it was $$$$$!

I have to go through the morning ritual every day with my 13 year old dog. As soon as my feet hit the floor, she's beside me, waiting for the loving pat and the words that come with it - "Hello my lovely good girl".

She sleeps on the floor, on a mattress, beside me now that she's no longer able to jump up onto my bed and I'm no longer able to lift her up.

Our nighttime ritual is pretty much the same. "Goodnight, my lovely girl", lots of pats and she she tucks herself in beside me.

We've both grown old, but we still cherish each other.

That's sooo sweet Grannyjo, thank you for sharing. I can relate with a couple of my furbabies who were elderly and I was more than happy to give them as much comfort and security as possible. 💚

deb, it breaks my heart to know when your cat cry's it annoys you so much that you put her downstairs and close the door.... my 21 year old Missy was meowing like that and also lost a lot of weight and i think her vision was bad too,, but i would pick her up and she would stop.. I gave her all the love and hugs i could knowing her time with us was not long, she was skin and bone too.finally it was time to say goodbye.We had to put her down . it was the hardest thing for us to do, but we know she is no longer suffering..

And now we have a 14 yr old and she too does the same with the water crying thing, . i pick her up and snuggle and hold her and she is fine then,, im retired of course so i have her all day with me most times. She is very petite and she was a Hurricane Katrina rescue in 2005.. so we named her Katrina. In this pic, she was 9 yrs old. she is now 16 yrs old..
Katrina 001.JPG

My ex wife had a Siamese cat (Sammy) when I met her. My ex got the cat when she was married to her first husband. Sammy was with them for 10 years. The cat seemed to know that my ex's first husband "sorta liked him" but I loved him. Sammy was always following me everywhere & when I got home, Sammy would immediately leave my ex's side & run to greet me, which made my ex wife mad (she had serious jealousy issues).
Once, I was sitting on the floor & my wife was sitting on the bed, sewing. Sammy was next to her. Just as a joke, I said, "I bet if I called Sammy, she would jump off the bed & sit next to me." My wife said, "No way...I've had her for 12 years; she just met you last year."
I didn't think she would do it, so I said, "Sammy, come here." Sammy flew off the bed & snuggled next to me & my wife was enraged. I never played that joke again.
After we divorced, my ex called me to say that Sammy was howling for hours & the Vet said there was nothing wrong with her. I could hear her in the backround wailing like she was being tortured. She also told me Sammy destroyed a new sofa in the living room - tore the stuffing out of it. She never went near that sofa before.
Animals feel way more than we think they do.

Well, would you sit and cuddle a child all day that would howl if you didn't? You'd not get too much done.
Sometimes, we need to show some compassion and comfort another, be it a human being or a pet. So what, if you don't get something done for the day....there is always tomorrow!

Wouldn't you want someone giving you attention if you were howling all day or would you rather be locked behind a closed door, out of sight, like you did putting your cat in the basement? IMHO, that was a cruel thing to do.

She sleeps on the floor, on a mattress, beside me now that she's no longer able to jump up onto my bed and I'm no longer able to lift her up.

They sell steps you can put next to bed and the pet can climb to reach bed, if you want. BUT, if she's already used to sleeping on her bed you might as well leave it as is. Even climbing steps can be hard for old bones.

I just had him there. She said his kidneys are shutting down. Not much anyone can do excpet make him comfortable as possible. Dialysis wasn't mentioned. The cat would probably have to be sedated and that's high risk for a cat that's 19 years old.

I would take him to the vet. Sounds like he might have something wrong with his mouth or throat or something else that makes it painful to drink.
We had a cat that did it...it was kidney disease I think. Yes, do take him to the vet!

Back