Gus is Getting Very Clingy

My 19-year-old cat won't leave me alone. I like affection in pets, but it's like he has to be in physical contact someway - laying in lap while I'm sitting or on my hip or back when I am laying down, and often in my face, too. Just likes to be stroked and petted and if I stop, he puts out his paw like he's saying "Don't stop!" I have to put him downstairs and close the door between the floors so I can have some peace, but then he starts crying at the door (he does settle down after a while). Why could he be feeling such separation anxiety - he wasn't like this until 2 years ago?

According to our vet, my two cats are likely pain free, thank goodness. They do have chronic feline herpes which manifests as an upper respiratory bug. Fortunately, antibiotics work well, and flare ups are usually

minor. Since I followed vet’s advice and feed them people grade pink salmon every day, I can’t believe how much healthier and livelier they are. The 17 year old doesn’t need antibiotics any

longer. He has a bit of a sniffle, but runs around trying to get outside to hunt birds on my condo balcony. Lol. No way will that happen. 16 year old hasn’t had a flare up in months. As they age, I do notice they are becoming quite clingy, and somewhat noisy.

When my pets are old and in pain, they always gravitate towards me, wanting to be near me, act as my shadow. I always understand and give them love and comfort in their later years. I know their days are numbered and they come to me to feel more secure, I would want the same as a pet, not too much to ask in my opinion. I've always loved my furkids, and put their needs ahead of mine.

I agree with those who said they're seeking warmth, like an old person likes sweaters. My 16 year old is also clingy. Try giving him a bed with an electric blanket? Would it be safe, since they like to scratch? Mine has companions to snuggle with if she chooses. I also give her a couple of drops of CBD daily to numb old age ''aches and pains''.

My Yellow Lab was like that during the whole 12 years I had him. He spent his first year in a shelter. A Veterinarian said a dog that was rescued from a shelter or a bad situation never forgets. He followed me everywhere, even if he was sleeping & I quietly walked into the laundry room.
When my sister's dog came near me, he would jump into my lap (all 80 lbs of him) to show her dog that I belonged to HIM. It may have been his way of showing his appreciation for adopting me.
I adopted him from a family of 6 with 3 young kids that rode him like a horse & a grandmother who hated him moved into the house to help pay the mortgage. When I got to the house to see him, (Dakota), he was out for a walk with the mother & kids. The husband told me not to be surprised if he didn't show much affection to me right away because he didn't like strangers.\\

When they got home, I sat on the floor & Dakota ran up to me & wrapped his front paws around my neck. He obviously wanted to make sure I didn't leave without him. I looked at the mother & she was shocked - she said, "I can't believe this; he doesn't like anyone he doesn't know."
I gave her the $50.00 she asked for & took him home.

DAKOTA.jpg

Mine do that all the time. Cat haters like to think it's because they're trying to trip us. One of mine likes to lay on the floor right behind me and it's a miracle that I have never stepped back and stepped on her without looking behind me. I don't know why they do it, but I'm SURE it is not maliciously.

Has Gus always done it or just started doing it? Just curious.

Has Gus always done it or just started doing it? Just curious.
Started about 2 years ago. He also does the laying on the floor behind me. I am working at the kitchen counter and turn around quickly, I have almot tripped over him on several occasions. He also cries when drinking out of his water dish. How he can drink and meow at the same time...I don't know. And many times he just sits at the water bowl with his head extended over it but doesn't drink.

http://catyearschart.com/
Well, according to the above calculator, your 19 year old Gus is 92 in human years. At that age humans have lots of aches and pains and memory loss and confusion and etc etc. Have patience, he won't be around a lot longer, although I once did meet a 28 year old gray tabby boy. Just watch your step when around him and stay safe.

Back