Had to do the first ever mechanical repair on my car today....

Mrs. Robinson

Not bad for having 257,000 miles on him! And it wasn`t a bad one (alternator,less than $200 parts and labor) Dropped it off at 8,had it back by 10. AND,he actually gave me a warning yesterday that there was a problem. Any time I`ve ever had an alternator go out,I just suddenly had a car that wouldn`t start. Once I was grabbing my son from after school care because he needed stitches. Pulled up to the curb,ran in and grabbed him,came out and car wouldn`t start. But my old faithful Eeyore had all the dash lights flash at me as I was pulling on the freeway yesterday. Then the battery light kept going on and of the rest of the day. So hubby took it in this morning and nobody ever got stranded. Can you see why I am so reluctant to give this car up?

It`s a 2004 Chevy Tahoe. I normally replace my cars at 100,000 miles but this one has been such a dream that I just haven`t been able to give it up! And it still looks brand new.

It`s a 2004 Chevy Tahoe. I normally replace my cars at 100,000 miles but this one has been such a dream that I just haven`t been able to give it up! And it still looks brand new.

Ah...those California cars. While stationed at Camp Roberts, the first thing I noticed was the great condition the cars were in. Coming from rust bucket NY, it was like another world. It was about the time the 57 Chevys and Fords were coming into the scene and many were being customized already. Hard for this country boy boy to fathom.

I hear ya...if you have a older vehicle that is in good shape, it doesn't make much sense to spend thousands for a new one. I have a nice 1997 Dodge Dakota pickup with only about 95K miles on it...still looks and runs like new. I put over half those miles on it 15+ years ago, while still working. We keep it primarily because with high ground clearance and 4WD, we can get out in bad weather if we need to. I probably haven't had to spend $50 a year, on average, to keep it in first class condition, including yearly oil/filter changes. About the Only downside is the marginal fuel mileage 13 city/17 hwy...but no more than I drive it, it would take several lifetimes to break even on fuel savings. If this rascal continues to behave, the kids can bury me in it.

That's awesome 257,000 miles and first repair, I am in awe and so wishin' I was so lucky. One of our vehicles is a 2000 Chevy Silverado with over 200,000 miles but can't say it's never had any repairs.

Back