Hair Styles for Women Over 50

There are a few film stars in this one but most are just ladies over 70

Last edited:
My ex refused to let me cut my hair, so for 30+ years it was long, to my waist. One of the first things I did was to cut it all off when I left him lol!! Before we married I pretty much always kept it short, except for one brief stint in high school where I let it grow to my shoulder blades. I had no idea that when he asked me if I'd grow it, that I'd then have to live with it forever!!! One time I did cut it off, early in our marriage, before I fully realized who I was dealing with. He got so angry I thought he was going to hit me!!! And that's when I realized that my hair wasn't mine any more.

I love keeping it short now. Turning it different colors. I just want a wash n wear style, I DON'T want to spend 20 minutes styling it!! My hair gal has taught me all kinds of tricks to make styling it as simple as possible and I'm gonna tell you that using the right products have made ALL the difference. I don't mean shampoo, I can wash my hair with anything and it doesn't make a difference. I'm taking about mousse and hair spray and other products you put on AFTER you wash it.

I can literally be out of the bathroom in a couple minutes with my hair styled just the way I want it thanks to what she's taught me!! Though my hair is fairly thick, it's very fine with a slight wave and no body, so it just sits flat against my head if I don't do something with it. You've seen enough pics of me that you can see I like it full, and that's what I mean, that's what takes all of two or three minutes to accomplish.

Towel it damp dry, mousse it, hair dryer with a round brush to shape it against my face, finger rub it while using the hair dryer everywhere else. Flexible hair spray/shaping spray and pull the hair strands into place the way I want them, another spray to keep what I did in place, and I'm done. So fast and easy. The mousse and the hair spray add texture and body to the strands so it doesn't lay flat any more.

Any of you who have fine or not a lot of hair and want it fuller so it doesn't lay flat, the trick is to add texture to your hair strands. You can do that by what I said above. You can also do that by spraying a dry shampoo through your hair even if it's not dirty. That will add volume. Or there are sprays called hair clay but they're more expensive, and the dry shampoo does a similar thing.

Or use a shaping/flexible hair spray, not to keep your hair in place so that it's all stiff, but again just to add body and texture to each strand. Spray it all over and then use your fingers to kinda scrub your scalp to work it through. Use more and then work your hair into place the way you want it.

Using this stuff has changed my life!!!

Thanks for the advice Ronni. I'm going to get some mousse! :)

You're welcome. There are many different brands, and many different kinds within brands. Extra strong, for curly hair, to deal with frizziness etc. Personally the only primary difference I've found between them all is that I don't like the way the extra strong ones, any brand, make my hair feel. Not sticky exactly, but even when my hair is all brushed out and dry, it still felt kinda crunchy. And I've paid a lot and a little for different ones, and the very expensive ones don't feel any different to me than the $3 kinds. So I stick to the less expensive brands of both mousse and hairspray.

My fave is Aussie Headstrong Volume. It says maximum hold but it's still not the strongest.
GUEST_bf802700-9d61-4369-9c2a-a188a4462ec7.jpg

It may take some experimentation on your part to find what works best, but if you buy the less expensive stuff it's not going to break the bank to try different ones until you find what works for your hair.

The hairspray I use the most (though I have several I like) is this one.
51i3V6ferBL._AC_UL320_.jpg

I used to wear my hair in a bob almost to my shoulders but about nine years ago, I felt that it was drawing my face down. I got it cut short and several friends asked me if I had had a facelift...LOL.

My hair has turned thin and fine, so a short hairstyle suits me. It's short at the neck and sides, with some frou-frou on top. I'd look like a balding rat in long hair now. I envy those of you with thick hair.

If I leave my hair to dry naturally, it curls up a bit. If I dry it (and it takes about 30 seconds to dry) with a dryer and a round brush, it has a slight wave.

I used to wear my hair in a bob almost to my shoulders but about nine years ago, I felt that it was drawing my face down. I got it cut short and several friends asked me if I had had a facelift...LOL.

My friend, in her seventies did the same, when she had her hair cut it took ten years off her !

Back