Has anyone been fishing? Tell us about it. Was it fun? Did you catch anything? Did you eat what you caught? Did you bait your own hook? :)

Every once in a while. Relaxing. (y)
Of course, my brother and his buddy always go after the bigger one's and try to intimidate me. Don't work.
Nice, don't know that I have ever caught gag grouper, cobia, and flounder on the same trip. Did you do it in that boat in the picture? Not many places you can get far enough out for grouper in a little bay boat like that.

No, the boat was a might larger than that one in the background. I have a friend who does charter work and has a center console similar to the one pictured, and he knows where to find fish. :)
One of these days, I'm going back out after the giant grouper. Caught one once, but, as I got him to the surface, a huge shark came and chomped him. All I had was a head about the size of 2 basketballs and a little gill. (what a time to not have a camera with us).

center-console-fishing-boat.jpg

As grade school kids, during summers we endlessly fished Sacramento area creeks mostly for green sunfish and bullhead catfish. I became an expert at digging for earth worms or catching crayfish which we used tails of for bait, or grasshoppers. As an adult that became a Sierra Nevada backpacker, during my 20s/30s did a lot of cast a bubble with dry flies fishing for our 4 species of trout. Also occasionally rocky shore salt water fishing. About 1980 I increasingly became more a landscape and nature photographer, so in this era despite enjoying the activity, only usually fish when on trips with brother J that is much more the enthusiast and being lazier now more often use a metal lure. The below are 3 rainbow trout I caught this July at a lake in the John Muir Wilderness. Always only fish for meals and greatly enjoy eating trout, especially mature salmonids.

After arriving at the lake at 10k feet elevation, then making camp, it took me less than an hour using a Kastmaster lure to catch 3 fish at 10, 10.5, and 11.5 inches, clean em, and get them cooking in our frying pan.

cf8784y.jpg

One of these days, I'm going back out after the giant grouper. Caught one once, but, as I got him to the surface, a huge shark came and chomped him. All I had was a head about the size of 2 basketballs and a little gill. (what a time to not have a camera with us).
Wow! Was it a gag? I think those in your picture were. If so that would really be a huge one, bigger than any gag grouper I have caught.

Picture below is of the largest grouper I have ever caught, not a great picture but you can get some idea of its size. It was a goliath grouper (formerly called jewfish), probably 500 to 600 pounds. Had to release her, keeping them was not legal then. Took her a few minutes, but she perked up and swam away.

Jewfish1.jpg

Back