Has anyone had to deal with noisy neighbours?

Treacle

My neighbours are really loud. They choose to shout to one other from one end of the garden to the other. The children scream and scream and the mother is always calling the boy for something, telling him off or ? They have made the garden into , what I would describe as a theme park. I know it's their garden so they can do what they want. They have a little terrier dog, I love animals but they set him off yapping. They have nailed small plastic windmills to our fence so there is whirring anytime there is a bit of wind .I understand they have young children but I don't go out in the garden much now because I can't cope with the noise. Across the way someone was having a conservatory erected and the people working on it could not believe the loudness of the woman. We have a dog whistle if the dog keeps barking and we have just invested in headphones. When I sort out my raised beds I put the radio on and my earphones. We also put the radio on facing outwards with classical music. They are aware we are not happy with all their shouting and screaming but they don't seem to have any respect for any of the neighbours. When they are away it is so peaceful. We have a neighbour the other side who has a special needs child and he just loves to jump on his trampoline and screams a little. But it does not get to me as I never hear the parents shouting to each other or shouting at the child. The screaming parents and children are Polish and I just put that in because I wondered if it was a cultural thing and that is just their way. No offence to anyone Polish. We are not in a position to move. :(

Sorry you are having to deal with all that noise and I know I wouldn't like it one bit either being at an age where I enjoy my peace. Unfortunately although you are in no position to do so, often moving is the best resolve but then you never know if you're going to move into another noisy atmosphere.

Can you speak to them and politely ask them to keep it down some--you deserve your peaceful space.

My neighbours are really loud. They choose to shout to one other from one end of the garden to the other. The children scream and scream and the mother is always calling the boy for something, telling him off or ? They have made the garden into , what I would describe as a theme park. I know it's their garden so they can do what they want. They have a little terrier dog, I love animals but they set him off yapping. They have nailed small plastic windmills to our fence so there is whirring anytime there is a bit of wind .I understand they have young children but I don't go out in the garden much now because I can't cope with the noise. Across the way someone was having a conservatory erected and the people working on it could not believe the loudness of the woman. We have a dog whistle if the dog keeps barking and we have just invested in headphones. When I sort out my raised beds I put the radio on and my earphones. We also put the radio on facing outwards with classical music. They are aware we are not happy with all their shouting and screaming but they don't seem to have any respect for any of the neighbours. When they are away it is so peaceful. We have a neighbour the other side who has a special needs child and he just loves to jump on his trampoline and screams a little. But it does not get to me as I never hear the parents shouting to each other or shouting at the child. The screaming parents and children are Polish and I just put that in because I wondered if it was a cultural thing and that is just their way. No offence to anyone Polish. We are not in a position to move. :(

A couple of things to ponder here. The worst thing you could ever mention to anybody is an antagonist race, ethnicity or culture because if that point were to come out you could seriously damage not only your reputation but your perceived tolerance to others. It's called prejudice. Anyway I digress so who was there first? Is the fence in question theirs, yours or shared? How long have you had to endure this? If you have neighbors on both sides of you and are collectively and negatively impacting your quality of life and according to you they are aware of your annoyance at their children's behavior then the situation will most assuredly deteriorate. You have several legal options to execute but sometimes those options for your protection only makes a bad situation worst. I do hope this works out for you but it's obvious your statement in itself tainted your credibility so I'd just find some way to relocate and get right with GOD.

Last edited:
Yes. Summertime is awful. They're all loud but one girl screams non-stop. They also have a yapping dog. Winter is the most peaceful time of the year. Kids grow up after a while and aren't home as much. That's what I'm looking forward to. It's very annoying though. They don't bother me otherwise so I'm thankful for that.

Yes. Summertime is awful. They're all loud but one girl screams non-stop. They also have a yapping dog. Winter is the most peaceful time of the year. Kids grow up after a while and aren't home as much. That's what I'm looking forward to. It's very annoying though. They don't bother me otherwise so I'm thankful for that.
You would hate an apartment 😂

Neighbours can be a challenge.....After living out in the country, for almost half of my life, 30 years, it was a big change for me moving into town, and getting used to lack of privacy.....but i do have a 6 foot semi private fence in the back.
I don't really have any big complaints, screaming, noise from kids on one side......not much on the other side, but the occasional backyard party, but, if it's loud , my dogs will start barking, then added noise.......the joy of living in town.
If i had more money than brains....i would buy the lots on both sides of me, fence it, hire the lawn mowing, and my guys would be in heaven, with all that space.......never going to happen.
I do hear of others that really do have bad neighbours, which is sad.

@Treacle I'm sorry your having such a hard time with the neighbours, can understand your peace is compromised, i hope you're able to find a solution.

That pretty much sums up my situation! :)

The apartment complex where I live is large enough to always have one or two loud neighbors or people that always seem to come and go at odd hours.

The good news is that the worse people behave the quicker they seem to move on.

Yes, there's a guy across the street who starts hammering on lord knows what beginning at 7 A.M. and doesn't stop until 8:30 P.M. There are neighbors all around and no one complains which astounds me. And, the facility I live it is worse. A couple of people will open their apartment doors and shout for someone which is disgustingly aggravating. Then I join the fray yelling at them to shut up. Go figure. 😝

Neighborhoods are always loud and fulled with noises. Across the street the people’s car alarm is broken so every time they get in the car it goes off, There is a stray male cat that has settled under the neighbors shed and he’s in heat. Sigh.

The neighbor next door-two vicious barking dogs, the corner house behind us-two small barking dogs, my other neighbor 3 clucking chickens, and four dogs. Adult kid across street, motorcycle and friends with motorcycles.

Kids, and kids friends-all kids make noise when let out. Cars up and down the streets all hours. Echoes of sounds from other streets. Birds chirping, leaves and trees blowing, and we are in the flight pattern for two airports. Planes day and night. Helicoptors, police sirens, and the fire station is two short blocks away. Garage trucks.

Other than that, it’s pretty quiet. 😂

Been there...done that...too many times Treacle. Surely there are noise ordinances somewhere on the books. My neighbor lady easily classifies under the class D noise ordinance. If I got proof I could press charges against her for disturbing the peace. We have a lot of people in the town I live in that have no respect for anyone here. Hope you find a solution.

Lordy

After reading this thread, I'm no longer agitated with the invasion of grasshoppers we're having here in the mountains

They eat everything in sight, but at least they're quiet about it.

The headphones is a good idea (I was gonna suggest earbuds)

I'd be tempted to fire off my 12 gauge when they yelled
Maybe that's why I don't live in town....

Hope you find a cure, Treacle

A couple of things to ponder here. The worst thing you could ever mention to anybody is an antagonist race, ethnicity or culture because if that point were to come out you could seriously damage not only your reputation but your perceived tolerance to others. It's called prejudice. Anyway I digress so who was there first? Is the fence in question theirs, yours or shared? How long have you had to endure this? If you have neighbors on both sides of you and are collectively and negatively impacting your quality of life and according to you they are aware of your annoyance at their children's behavior then the situation will most assuredly deteriorate. You have several legal options to execute but sometimes those options for your protection only makes a bad situation worst. I do hope this works out for you but it's obvious your statement in itself tainted your credibility so I'd just find some way to relocate and get right with GOD.
I take your point Fasttrax but I found your response a little hurtful. In fact I would turn around what you wrote by saying that understanding each others cultures is a positive thing which improves tolerance. That's where I was coming from. I guess I failed to express myself in the way I intended and I apologise for that if, in anyway, you should consider that I am not tolerant of others race, ethnicity or culture.

Thanks everyone. Just putting it out there helps a lot and knowing others have experienced similar situations puts it in perspective. I think I am quite lucky given some of the situations some of you are having to cope with.😊

I think that it's a sign of our times or perhaps the way that society has gone that there are many obsessed with their "rights" who never consider their responsibilities, or the impact of their behavior on others around them. They are simply too self-involved, dedicated to immediate gratification and total self-expression. As Jean-Paul Sartre observed darkly, "Hell is--other people." :eek:

Thanks F
I think that it's a sign of our times or perhaps the way that society has gone that there are many obsessed with their "rights" who never consider their responsibilities, or the impact of their behavior on others around them. They are simply too self-involved, dedicated to immediate gratification and total self-expression. As Jean-Paul Sartre observed darkly, "Hell is--other people." :eek:
Thanks Fyrefox, perhaps I come from the 'old school'. I make sure the radio or TV is not too loud and if I need to speak to my o/h or vice versa in the garden we walk up to each other and do not shout. When we had something installed that meant drilling into the outside wall, I put a note through their door in English/ Polish to explain that there would be noise and how long it would take etc etc and apologised for any inconvenience.
I've read Sarte and De Beauvoir some time back, will have to reread.
I know now why I love animals. 🤗

Headphones( industrial )arrived yesterday and me and o/h are really happy cos we can't hear the neighbours when we put them on. An inconvenience to us and expense but we think we have solved the problem until we are in a position to move. So FastTrax if I may say kindly, we tried different methods to blot out the noise from our Polish neighbours (I'm half Austrian by the way and my history takes me back to Poland) and we did indicate that perhaps their noise was a bit much for all the neighbourhood but the point is we have gone out of our way to let them have the life they want even though it was detrimental to us. That is what I'm about. We have changed our life to accommodate the life they wish to live. By the way I wrote papers which were published for Equal Opportunities in F.E ( Further Education, Nursery Nurses) so I really hope now you now know where I coming from. :)

Attachments

• Headphones.jpg
    Headphones.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1
Of course it's cultural. Poles are known to scream their heads off. Certainly Chopin screamed every time he composed a masterpiece.
LOL...well, my mom was Polish and I grew up with a large group of Polish family and friends, and I can reliably report that we didn't shout and scream our heads off. We drank a lot of beer and then danced the polka while Grandpa Wasil played the accordion, but that was actually at a place called Maple Park, not in our own back yards.

Those neighbors are just totally obnoxious, and I'm sorry that you have to put up with it @Treacle.

Back