Has Anyone Tried the Keto Diet Plan?

I understood that this diet puts a great strain on the kidneys. Can anyone confirm this? You read so many conflicting stories, you don't know what to believe. I don't eat meat and I like bread too much to give it up. I count calories and this works for me because I don't have to restrict what I eat.
No, it does not. Actually keto and carnivore food plans are improving people's health issues who have many different health conditions. It is promising for mental health also. Conflicting information is out there because of the government working for the food industry manufacturers. Things are changing though.

I started keto with a 4-day water fast beginning Jan 02, 2017. It 's the best thing I ever did for myself. It felt like 'coming home'. For the seven decades I ate SAD prior to keto I had many fave carb-loaded foods. In fact, I home-brewed my own beer (actually braggot) for 30 years and drank half a liter of it every day. Don't miss any of it. 5 1/2 years into keto, at the age of 77, I have essentially the same body I had at the age 18. I will take it, thank you! I am fit and healthy, have a full-time job in retail and retain my enthusiasm for cycling. I see folks of my age every day in my job and I'm glad I'm not where they are healthwise. And yes, I'm sure I was gifted with healthy genes and I thank my ancestors every day. But that's only part of the equation. I have brothers and sisters who had the same ancestors and continue to eat SAD. They're not like me.

When someone questions me about the 'health' and 'sustainability' of keto I respond that our species and it's ancestors ate keto for 4+ million years and we're still here. There are a lot of myths and misinformation about keto. Most in the medical profession mistake the therapeutic diet developed to help epilepsy patients as 'keto' and simply don't know about 'nutritional keto' developed from the early 1980s due in part to the research of Drs Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek. Metabolically, being in continuous ketosis changes pretty much everything for the better.

There's even the recognition now that feeding exogenous ketones to elderly patients, who are not eating a keto diet, helps them resist mental deterioration and also slows the progression of existent deterioration of the brain with aging.

Based on my own experience and what I've read over the past several years, I think eating a ketogenic diet is the best health insurance you can buy for yourself. That's my opinion anyway.

Yes I have, and yes it works for weight loss and other health issues.

My only problem with it is that after a few months of success, I give in to temptation and eat something sugary, and then I have trouble getting back on track.

Personally, I think the warnings about kidneys and cholesterol and "not for long term" are nonsense. You have to make up your own mind.

Some people do have physical problems with keto, at the beginning or later on. But rather than reading some scary pop science article, you can join a keto support group and find out what people who have thrived on it for years have to say.

Yes I have, and yes it works for weight loss and other health issues.

My only problem with it is that after a few months of success, I give in to temptation and eat something sugary, and then I have trouble getting back on track.
I never experienced any cravings or desire to eat any of my fave carb-loaded foods I ate for decades prior to keto. One thing that may be significant is my attitude towards food, which I've had all my life and not just since I started eating keto. Food/eating is a pitstop, not my destination. Food is fuel and I want to get in, get refueled and on the road again. I found better fuel with keto and don't miss the inferior fuel I used before keto. I just don't understand folks who obsess about food. :rolleyes:

Back