Has Your Handwriting Changed With Age?

Yes, never was good, now its terrible.

Partly due to age and arthritis in my hands, but I think using a computer has gotten me out of practice as well. When I have to fill out a form or something by hand now its almost embarrassing, looks like a first grader...

My handwriting has always been horrible. Could be caused by medication although it was bad before I started taking psych meds.

My hands shake nowadays especially when I try to do fine tasks such as inserting a shoestring through a shoe eyelet. Usually when I am tired or hungry my fine motor skills are compromised by shaky hands.

I never got a grade of more than “B” in handwriting in elementary school. Guess I never mastered getting all of those curves, loops, and squiggles to perfection.- -Curse you, Palmer Method! My well-intentioned mother thought that a fountain pen would help, but it leaked at times, ruining shirts and causing epic messes…*sighs*

Anyhow, my handwriting has gotten smaller and more slanted with age…but what the hey, I use a keyboard for most of my writing now…🚉

For sure! I always had wonderful handwriting but about a year ago it got worse. Now, I have to really concentrate when I sign my name. I wonder why? Guess I'm getting "over the hill".

My handwriting used to be well directed and controlled. Now, when I begin to write, I'm uncertain as to how things will work out by the time I finish. I find myself breaking the cursive flow and inserting printed letters as though someone else has taken control of things halfway through the sentence. :oops:

My handwriting was never very pretty but it was usually readable. i've seen handwriting that looks beautiful but is difficult to decipher so i was glad for the modicum of legibility and if had take important message or leave note i usually print.
But now with arthritis in my hands impacting grip and movement...i pity anyone trying to read my handwriting.

My handwriting was never very pretty but it was usually readable. i've seen handwriting that looks beautiful but is difficult to decipher so i was glad for the modicum of legibility and if had take important message or leave note i usually print.
But now with arthritis in my hands impacting grip and movement...i pity anyone trying to read my handwriting.
It's the gripping a pen that causes me to shake after about 15minutes of writing and then my handwriting becomes a scrawl due to the worsening OA predominately in my right hand..

I write in long hand almost every day in my Diary and journal, but if I have to write more than 2 or 3 pages, then the pain sets in my fingers and my words begin getting spidery across the page . I often think that in the future later generations on reading it would presume by the time they got to page 3 that I'd been knocking back something stronger than Tea... :D

Last edited:
i remember last parent/teacher conference before end of 2nd (maybe 3rd) grade. teacher told Dad my cursive writing could be neater... not very good at staying in the lines. could do it... just didn't. for part of that summer... had HOMEWORK!!!

Back at university (in the early 1970s) I found that I could jot down my notes much quicker in block letters than I could in long-hand during lectures. The only time I've used long-hand since then is when I am required to put my signature at the bottom of documents and applications. But has my writing changed overall? I don't think so. Maybe I give the letters less of an artistic "swoop & swirl" than I did when I was young? I think so.

have had a few instance where HS student had great difficulty discerning my handwriting when in very neat cursive!

when kids get of an age when adult don't want them to know what they're talking about... they start spelling in front of them. when they get to where they can start spelling... maybe perfect penmanship is the answer??

This is most interesting! I once had a graphology book which showed how one can actually change their personality by changing their handwriting! (I gave it away).
I used to study handwriting analysis.
But, if this is true, when you consider how the computers have replaced the written word and we have no time or patience with writing, couldn't this be a factor in apathy in society? Anyway, It's interesting to think about!

My husband is going to change the secondary beneficiaries to his life insurance policy. After several strokes and Parkinsonism, his handwriting is unreadable, even by him. So he is going to have the beneficiary paperwork notarized, just to prevent anyone from saying it is not his signature.

I send him information he needs (like phone numbers, addresses) via email. That way, I can increase the font size and he can save those emails.

He used to have absolutely beautiful, readable handwriting. Nearly everyone who saw it, remarked upon it. He really misses being able to write things down.

My own handwriting isn't as good as used to be, but that's because of chemo-induced neuropathy and weakness in my hands. It's already improving, and I'm going to start exercising my hands so that continues.

This is most interesting! I once had a graphology book which showed how one can actually change their personality by changing their handwriting! (I gave it away).
I used to study handwriting analysis.
But, if this is true, when you consider how the computers have replaced the written word and we have no time or patience with writing, couldn't this be a factor in apathy in society? Anyway, It's interesting to think about!
I actually did that when I was a teenager. I changed it and never went back.

Now my handwriting has changed if I am lazy and write something quickly. The reason mine has changed is because my hand aches at times and has gotten worse over time. Before I moved here, three years ago, I used to hand write pages of things, my journal, stories in my head, recipes, etc. I would take a clip board with paper and go outside to my garden or to my barn and just write. I still write but on my computer now. I don't think I could write very much now due to my hand pain.

IMG-3994.jpg

No problem with that Holly, it's clearly legible, accurately spaced and grammatically correct. Why my handwriting is so precise is simple, it's first written in pencil, then checked for spacing, uniformity and errors. The pencil is then all but erased, leaving just enough visible to do the ink finish. It's more of a hobby, I just enjoy doing it, so here for everyone who likes the written word......................Text & Emails 003.JPG

I had to write a check for a repairman a few days ago after I wrote it I noticed the handwriting went below the line......lol, oh well....everything now is downhill.

Back