Has your mental health declined in the last year?

I’ve been thinking lately how blah I feel. I’m not depressed but just tired of having to stay home, miss Saturday night cards with friends, miss going to the gym (which helped boost my mood), miss travelling.

I find myself on the screens almost all day long out of sheer boredom and I am in university full time and it’s all online of course. And because I’m on screens all day and not getting exercise (I can not go for walks because I have Crohns) I find myself a lot crankier than usual. And I can’t see an end on site... I’ve been thinking for the last year this craziness would end any day/week/month now and it hasn’t.

I can’t be the only one. Who else is struggling with similar things?

Yes it's all highly frustrating, particularly when you live as we do with no hospitality open at all.. no gyms, no entertainment facilities, no schools, nothing but supermarkets... then we're bombarded on a daily basis with headlines that state that the lockdown will continue past Easter, then now today summer.. ...very difficult to bear in some cases...however I feel fortunate that I am well, that I have a house with a garden ( god help those who live in small crowded apartments with children and no gardens who are locked down)... I have a computer which keeps me connected to the world, my husband is not laid off work, and my daughter lives just a 15 minute drive away with my beloved grandfurbabies... many people don't have any of those, in fact many don't have their lives due to this pandemic... so I do try to put it all into a little bit of perspective...

Yes, it is hard living this way. I keep thinking "a year ago we were doing this or that". I do try to be grateful that I have a house with a yard, the internet, plenty of streaming TV and don't have to work in an unsafe place. However it does feel like they keep moving the goal posts. The way the vaccines are going in our state, it will be a long time until we get them since we are under 65.

My wife and I are doing fine, but we sure would like it if life got back to normal. We keep pretty busy with ordinary things including Daisy our youngest Bichon who is getting an attitude these days. She might be suffering from too much time with us.

I am a little bit lucky that my prostrate cancer treatment is running concurrent with COVID, so I don't really have the energy to get out much anyway. If we went out of a late dinner, I might fall asleep at the table.

This has been a stressful time between the virus and the crazy politics. I can certainly understand why anyone could feel depressed.

Keep your chin up, this will eventually end and fun will return.

I'm an outdoor type and not much of a social animal, so things have not changed greatly for me except for being cautious of covid. I'm hoping no dentist and optometrist appointments doesn't mean that I will end up a toothless blind person though.

jujube...if I was a car, I’d say my battery (heart) is wearing out. My Afib is getting worst and my heart needs to be recharged. Have a doctors appt. coming up so we’ll see if it can be giving some new life.
There is a surgery to stop the AFIB, have you thought about having it?

Question:

Has your mental health declined in the last year?​

My answer:

My mental health has been declining since I was born. However, this decline has only started to become visible within the last year or so.

As usual, there is a song in here somewhere...

Tony

Yes it's all highly frustrating, particularly when you live as we do with no hospitality open at all.. no gyms, no entertainment facilities, no schools, nothing but supermarkets... then we're bombarded on a daily basis with headlines that state that the lockdown will continue past Easter, then now today summer.. ...very difficult to bear in some cases...however I feel fortunate that I am well, that I have a house with a garden ( god help those who live in small crowded apartments with children and no gardens who are locked down)... I have a computer which keeps me connected to the world, my husband is not laid off work, and my daughter lives just a 15 minute drive away with my beloved grandfurbabies... many people don't have any of those, in fact many don't have their lives due to this pandemic... so I do try to put it all into a little bit of perspective...

Same here holly......I bet you miss your daughter and grandkids and the hugs....or are they in your bubble..
Not seen our new grandaughter or great grandaughter or any of our family since this retched virus started.... 😢

I was feeling lonely & depressed before the lockdown; so of course COVID just made that worse, the 2 social groups I'm in are doing online meetings only & the 2 people running them are great, but I've discovered I can't stand online meetings; it seems like everybody accidentally talks over everyone else or everyone sits there awkwardly silent.

And then I feel guilty for being depressed because I'm so much better off than a lot of people, we're doing good financially, we've got a good roof over our heads (I actually like our house, I just don't like the neighborhood we're in), and we can both still drive (not for long, I'm afraid but whatever). And I burned up my favorite chocolate-melting pot on the stove today, forgot all about it...sigh...I hate cooking and I hate COVID.

My mental health? I am constantly monitoring myself, always looking for answers. Yeah, I have anxiety and sometimes a pang of depression, I try to keep things "in perspective". Medications are available that would help my A&D, but I will strenuously resist as long as possible. Vodka helps. Indica helps.

I was feeling lonely & depressed before the lockdown; so of course COVID just made that worse, the 2 social groups I'm in are doing online meetings only & the 2 people running them are great, but I've discovered I can't stand online meetings; it seems like everybody accidentally talks over everyone else or everyone sits there awkwardly silent.

And then I feel guilty for being depressed because I'm so much better off than a lot of people, we're doing good financially, we've got a good roof over our heads (I actually like our house, I just don't like the neighborhood we're in), and we can both still drive (not for long, I'm afraid but whatever). And I burned up my favorite chocolate-melting pot on the stove today, forgot all about it...sigh...I hate cooking and I hate COVID.
I am so with you on the cooking, I HATE cooking. I HATE COVID-19, and I am not wild about zoom but it’s the only way I get to see my daughter and her family. You should get a corgi mix puppy 😂 you won’t be lonely then. Bella sticks to me like she got into the super glue.

the 2 social groups I'm in are doing online meetings only & the 2 people running them are great, but I've discovered I can't stand online meetings; it seems like everybody accidentally talks over everyone else or everyone sits there awkwardly silent.
I get zoom fatigue and end up having to prioritize my meetings. I have work meetings, school meetings, and then I book some "fun" meetings for various events, or hobbies I enjoy like gardening or learning to macrame or something, and it ends up just being too much. I end up not showing up to all of the meetings. I have at least one online meeting a day, often three a day. :(

Back