Have gotten myself into a worrisome funk

@AZ Jim I feel much the same way. I am needing to use my cane more while inside the house. How is you cooking coming along?

@Denise1952 again, glad you are back. I am getting used to my new normal. It has only been 4 months for me. I know things will get done, in its own time. Like you, I may look into part time volunteer work. I plan to take some classes as well. The just for fun type...book groups, cinema, etc.

Hi Marie, I too am sorry to hear of your loss. Your being a part of this forum gives a lift to all of us, and I hope it does the same for you as well! I still get my share of "Honey do" lists and am thankful that we are still together, as a team. We have learned to "modify" a bit on the daily routines, as we have gotten older.

It must be difficult to become a team of one, with no one to delegate to. You come across as a strong person, determined to adjust as you pass through your time of loss and grieving. I hope you have a true friend or two, who you can lean on, and family that you can keep in touch with.

Always find time to be kind to yourself.:)

Marie I am keeping myself alive with frozen foods mostly. I am just am not ambitous enough to try and cook for just me.
That's not very healthy, Jim. But, if you can't get motivated, at least you won't starve. sometimes it's not easy to cook for just one, unless you plan when you'll eat what you freeze.

You can get simple meals, salads, nice soups and frozen veg at the supermarket. They also deliver.

Check into Meals On Wheels, maybe. Good luck.

@AZ Jim Over the last several years, we have adjusted to cooking for two. We eat smaller portions, and have fewer leftovers. Our youngest daughter jokes that we would split a cracker. Two of My favorites are Dinty Moore Beef Stew, with an added 8 oz can of green beans..... and Corned beef hash, topped with two fried eggs. My Wife humors me and enjoys them as well. Quick & EZ!

@AZ Jim Over the last several years, we have adjusted to cooking for two. We eat smaller portions, and have fewer leftovers. Our youngest daughter jokes that we would split a cracker. Two of My favorites are Dinty Moore Beef Stew, with an added 8 oz can of green beans..... and Corned beef hash, topped with two fried eggs. My Wife humors me and enjoys them as well. Quick & EZ!
Another item for the emergency shelf!

5369AFCB-306C-71D2-4922-96070ECBF314-9690.jpeg

I'm slowly getting my house into good order. By that I mean getting rid of heaps of stuff that I'd been keeping for "just in case I need it one day". Some of it I haven't needed for anything up to 20 years.

I have two of my friends coming to help me with the garage next week. I have so much stored in there that he's bringing his ute to take away all the excess junk I no longer need.

I have found that if I have had extra storage space, I tended to keep more and more. Now I'm relishing some empty cupboards and drawers.

Marie, is that worrisome funk getting less worrisome?

Yes, I think so. I am getting more motivated to do things around the house. I am going to my therapist today, and am going to bring it up to her. But I am sure it was just a passing phase.
I have packed up some things and am taking them to donation tomorrow. And am having less of a feeling sorry for myself mood.

Great to hear! :) Your OP didn't read like you were feeling sorry for yourself!

(Edited to say I just saw the time frame of your loss in the post below. :( )

Last edited:
It’s only been since April. So soon. I can tell you are a special sweet lady. Rick would not want you to stress over anything I am sure. Relax. Nothing.....seriously, nothing is important. Do things at your own pace. Let things go for a while and don’t feel guilty about it. It doesn’t matter! Just post here like the rest of us and enjoy your internet friends and family.

I have always felt I have been doing well since Rick passed. Have gotten used to being alone (sort of), being social, getting out when I feel the need.

But lately I have found I am starting to neglect things around the house. Not having the motivation to want to keep it clean. I mean, it is not turning into one of those hoarder houses. Just need to push myself to keep up with the day to day housekeeping. I feel a bit guilty about it, and hope it is just a phase.
So this afternoon, I decided to get my butt in gear and start getting the house in good order. I have been in the kitchen cutting down card board boxes for recycling, and organizing stuff there. A friend told me to take it one room at a time. So for today and tomorrow, it is the kitchen.
I have decided to try doing what parents do with kids...using the internet and television as a "reward" system. Do so many hours of housework, and then spend time on computer or with TV. It may sound lame, or juvenile, but I need to do something,

Any other recently widowed having this issue? As a reminder (especially for new members) My husband, Rick, died in April, after being ill for several weeks.
So, if I am here sporaticly, this is why
I am sorry to hear you are going through some rough periods.🌹 I hope you can just be kind to yourself and if the house is not perfect, so what? Let it go and if and/or when it really starts to bother you then do what you feel has to be done. We all put too much stress on ourselves. It is not selfish to take care of yourself and be gentle with yourself. Be your own best friend...you have earned it. I bet Rick would agree with me.:)

@Marie5656 Even though it’s three years since you started this thread talking about being in a funk, it’s the same word I was thinking recently that describes how I’m sometimes feeling. Nothing desperate, just a need to feel something positive to look forward to.
Doing a lot better now...it does take time,

My dear wife passed Jan 30 this year. I think about her every day and after prayers I talk to her at night. I am keeping the house clean and doing what needs to be done. I am very limited in that both my knees are completely shot so I use my rollator full time. You don't easily cope when after 48 years of being married to your best friend you have to hold her hand and watch life leave her. The last words my honey said was in response to my I love you, she was slipping into a coma from which she never awakened but in her little weak voice she said "I love you too, Jim". She never uttered another word. I'll never again be whole.
I had both my knees replaced when we lived in Sun City West, they have been working well for 16 and 18 years. I am now 88.

I have always felt I have been doing well since Rick passed. Have gotten used to being alone (sort of), being social, getting out when I feel the need.

But lately I have found I am starting to neglect things around the house. Not having the motivation to want to keep it clean. I mean, it is not turning into one of those hoarder houses. Just need to push myself to keep up with the day to day housekeeping. I feel a bit guilty about it, and hope it is just a phase.
So this afternoon, I decided to get my butt in gear and start getting the house in good order. I have been in the kitchen cutting down card board boxes for recycling, and organizing stuff there. A friend told me to take it one room at a time. So for today and tomorrow, it is the kitchen.
I have decided to try doing what parents do with kids...using the internet and television as a "reward" system. Do so many hours of housework, and then spend time on computer or with TV. It may sound lame, or juvenile, but I need to do something,

Any other recently widowed having this issue? As a reminder (especially for new members) My husband, Rick, died in April, after being ill for several weeks.
So, if I am here sporaticly, this is why
Everyone grieves differently. His passing is new and there are stages of grief. One day you may feel like you are getting better, moving on and then the next you are overcome with sadness again. Do what you feel like dong and be kind to yourself. I think taking one room at a time is a great idea. Sometimes completing a task gives you a sense of relief and makes taking on the next day's task a little easier. When you realize you don't have to get it all done in one day it takes the pressure off. Set a schedule that works for you and just do it.

Everyone grieves differently. His passing is new and there are stages of grief. One day you may feel like you are getting better, moving on and then the next you are overcome with sadness again. Do what you feel like dong and be kind to yourself. I think taking one room at a time is a great idea. Sometimes completing a task gives you a sense of relief and makes taking on the next day's task a little easier. When you realize you don't have to get it all done in one day it takes the pressure off. Set a schedule that works for you and just do it.
this thread is 3 years old... so altho' we feel for marie.. it was not as recent as you might be thinking

What difference does it make if a thread a member responded to is older.
Members read recently, and wanted to respond.
Thank you MickaC, I was not paying attention to the original date of the post. Just scrolling through and this one was near the top because someone had recently posted. Felt for Marie and responded. :)

Thank you MickaC, I was not paying attention to the original date of the post. Just scrolling through and this one was near the top because someone had recently posted. Felt for Marie and responded. :)
No need to thank me…….just because the thread was started some time ago……doesn’t mean it lost it’s value.
I’m sure Marie appreciates your response, and thoughts.

Back