Have you had a credit card account closed due to inactivity?

I haven't received any information yet about my credit card acct being closed due to inactivity but, I'm sure it will come. Can't you just purchase a small thing locally with it? Just to keep it active...

Chase was going to not renew my "spare" VISA card for inactivity but I called and asked them to please renew it. They said "sure". Now I make sure I use it once a quarter and that appears to keep them happy.

I had a bad experience with Wells Fargo about an account a few years ago. I had an account that I kept a fair amount of money in. I hadn't done anything with it for a couple of years but I did check it occasionally. One night I checked and there was no record of the account. I panicked, of course. I'VE BEEN HACKED! MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN STOLEN! THE SKY IS FALLING!

I called them and it was explained that the account had just gone "inactive" and inactive accounts don't show up on the internet. WHAT THE HECK? They have my money nicely locked up in their bank but it's OK to act like it's not there? And they didn't send me a notice that this was going to happen? They could have given someone a heart attack. I was down at the bank at 9 a.m. the next morning to close the account and give someone a piece of my mind. You just don't do that to customers!

I haven't received any information yet about my credit card acct being closed due to inactivity but, I'm sure it will come. Can't you just purchase a small thing locally with it? Just to keep it active...
My notice came with a "You must charge This Amount before This Date in order to keep your card active" statement. The amount was under $15. Others are saying they just got cancelled. I had the card for years, hardly ever, ever used it.

My notice came with a "You must charge This Amount before This Date in order to keep your card active" statement. The amount was under $15. Others are saying they just got cancelled. I had the card for years, hardly ever, ever used it.

I may have to find something to purchase with it then. I just got a new one. Not sure when I'll be putting anything on it.

Never had a credit card deemed inactive.......sadly, credit scores are calculated based on purchases on credit cards, and payment history.....sadly too is, someone paying cash all their lives, and having no debt have the lowest scores.....how totally dumb is that. Have had many credit cards issued to me without applying, activating them, but only the ones that had no yearly fee, at one point in time, had 230,000.00 credit in total.....HOW DUMB ARE THESE LENDERS.

I had spend limits put on my debit and credit card. If I spend more than $250 in a day or go to the same places too many times...the card services people call to make sure it's me.
The credit card limit is $2000.

I got my card burgled once...luckily the rate kept them from purchasing (oops I forgot to finish the post!)

The spending limit on my debit card kept someone in Spain from purchasing plane tickets. LOL

Last edited:
I'm prepared if Chase closes 3 cards I have with them, one of them the Ink card which gives me 5% cashback on office stores purchases. They give clients 30 days to redeem their rewards once they shutdown the account. I always combine my earned rewards on 1 account for ease of redemption in case they close my accounts.

I'm on my last month earning 1.5% miles per dollar per month on Disover miles. I'll cash in the other 1.5% accumulated the first year this June.

I have never paid a penny interest on CCs, I sign up for their bonuses and usually close the account after the first year.

I received a letter in the mail yesterday from Chase Cardmember Services stating that I needed to use my Amazon credit card in the next 15 days if I want to keep it open. They stated otherwise, it would be closed due to inactivity.
That could have been a scam!! Did it have any link to click on with your info??

My collection of credit cards described in post 33, were cut up quite a while ago, was done with the amusement from these silly companies, i now only have two. These credit cards that i never applied for, have ceased to arrive anymore, companies must have found their common sense.

Chase sent me a notice a couple of years ago that they were going to close my credit card due to inactivity. I hadn't used that card in a year. When we went to only using cashback cards, the credit cards we used to use just sat there. We've had them for many years, and length of time as well as available credit are factors in maintaining a high credit score.

To keep all cards active I move my monthly $6.99 Britbox subscription around on them -- 4 months on one card, then moved to another, and on and on. A simply notation on the calendar reminds me, and it takes very little time to make the changes. I haven't received any more notices of inactivity since.

Maybe I could find out what the minimum expense for my card is and find a monthly bill like my wi-fi bill to put on there. Then pay it right away which would improve my APR as well as increase my credit score.

Chase sent me a notice a couple of years ago that they were going to close my credit card due to inactivity. I hadn't used that card in a year. When we went to only using cashback cards, the credit cards we used to use just sat there. We've had them for many years, and length of time as well as available credit are factors in maintaining a high credit score.

To keep all cards active I move my monthly $6.99 Britbox subscription around on them -- 4 months on one card, then moved to another, and on and on. A simply notation on the calendar reminds me, and it takes very little time to make the changes. I haven't received any more notices of inactivity since.
Exactly right about the credit score.

I did the same thing with a seldom-used Visa. I have my Netflix billed to it each month ($9 or so) to keep it active.

You can also keep a card active by using it for charitable donations. I give to the local Food Bank and a couple of other charities this way - very convenient, and I get an email at year's end with the Tax ID # and total donations.

Back