Have You Had To Turn Your Heat On Yet?

Ruthanne

SF VIP
Well, it is 48 F outside this morning here and for the first time this season I've turned the heat on. I don't have a new furnace filter (I have ordered one from Ebay but won't arrive this week yet). I also put the fan on low for that smell you get when you first turn it on. There was such a chill in here and I had put on warmer pjs and a velvet robe...still was chilled so on I turned the furnace.

If it gets down to around 55 degrees in here , my heating goes on without question. I hate being cold. ..fortunately we're still hot here, hopefully for a while yet.. :D
I can't stand feeling very cold either but our temperatures are going to go up some this week, thank God, and can save on the heating bill--it gets expensive here. Glad it's not cold where you are, enjoy the warmth!

Our unit is set so that the AC comes on if it goes above 75 and the heat comes on if it goes below 68. The heat came on two days ago and I was happy because for several days the temperature had been right in the middle and nothing had come on and it was getting stuffy.

The landlord controls the heat which is included in my rent.

I saw a notice posted in the entry hall that indicated they would be testing the system this week. When they turn on the live steam for the first time each year it can be an adventure. We all wait the hear the first rumbles and hisses then we begin to go from room to room looking for wisps of steam and feel for leaks. If we are lucky the packing in the pipes swells to seal the small leaks and a gentle but firm rap on the relief valves stops the hissing if not we call the office and wait for someone to come and make repairs.

Yes, we had to turn the heat on since the last few mornings we've been waking up to the high 20's. Way too early for temperatures like that. When I changed the sheets on the bed Saturday, I put the electric blanket on it. My cats are in seventh heaven. lol
It certainly has been cold there for this time of year but then I don't know where you are.

The landlord controls the heat which is included in my rent.

I saw a notice posted in the entry hall that indicated they would be testing the system this week. When they turn on the live steam for the first time each year it can be an adventure. We all wait the hear the first rumbles and hisses then we begin to go from room to room looking for wisps of steam and feel for leaks. If we are lucky the packing in the pipes swells to seal the small leaks and a gentle but firm rap on the relief valves stops the hissing if not we call the office and wait for someone to come and make repairs.

I have lived in places where the landlord controls the heat--one place got so hot it was ridiculous but then I discovered there was something wrong with the valves which he did not care to maintain or anything else for that matter. It's great to get the heat included in the rent but I prefer to control it myself when it gets this cold and they have a firm policy of not turning it on until Oct.

A couple of days ago, I turned the a/c from 18C to 20C.
Considering turning it to 22C now that the humidity level has dropped considerably.
Condo switches from a/c to heat in early October, if I recall correctly. Then, we set the thermostat to 20C .. we keep warm from everyone else's high heat.

We've had nice weather this week, but rather chilly in the early morning. When I got up this morning, the temp was 43. We've set the furnace to turn on at 71, and it has kicked in the last couple of mornings. But, that's good...I like to "test" the furnace a bit before cold weather really arrives.

It was 42f on Saturday night. Because of vision issues, I need someone else to turn the heat on and set the thermostat. I was so cold that I almost woke up my brother-in-law, but decided it would be mean to make him get up and drive 20 minutes to my house. I settled for an extra blanket and a warm cat, and got the heat turned on Sunday morning. It got so cold so fast here.

Back