Hello. First post from J.B. Books

J.B Books

I'll be 65 in a few weeks. Been contemplating retirement for a while. I'll be on Medicare next month and hopefully that will last a few more years.
I am an independent contractor of sorts for the past 11 years. I got out of the corporate world and started doing this. Got tired of the politics, travel, etc. I don't want to get into a core dump on my first post so I will keep my past history short.

My wife and I had our own technology company. We later partnered with a larger wealthy company owned by one man. Long story short, on the verge of a huge contract roll out with some very large companies that you would all recognize, he decided to take over the whole operation and cut us out. We spent 7 years in court. Nobody won (except the lawyers) all the software and patents became frozen and later obsolete because of such legal action.

Most of our retirement was invested in this and we lost a lot. That's when I became an independent. I had to rebuild my retirement and my wife now runs a 501C3. So my retirement looks a lot different now than I would of guessed 15 years ago. Still I am getting tired. I want to do things before I fall apart. How many years do I have left to move around? I've crunched the numbers and we should be OK financially. So I want to wind down this year and "semi-retire" before I fully retire.

Covid has made my business activity very difficult so the writing is on the wall for me. I think I would want to still have something to do until I get this full retirement thing in focus. I am afraid of having a lot of time with no direction and on the other hand I don't want the stress anymore. That's my internal conflict and fear I guess. I always told myself I would go fishing a lot in retirement. My hands are so bad now I don't think I can tie a knot in the fishing line without a lot of effort. So there you have it.

I want to slow down and retire. I want to walk away and not have a care in the world. I told myself that this is it, spend this year transitioning my slowing business activity so I can retire. Maybe this forum will help in some way. Joining this is my first step I guess. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Retirement can be very boring and a big mistake unless you have a plan as to what you will do. Or unless, like me, you have excelled through life at being a couch potato. I did not work much, but I did work 12 years, at the same company, at a job I loved, late in life. But I had to retire due to medical issues.

Anyhow, I was busier retired than when I was working until Covid hit. Now I am still busy with stuff I do in the house, watch tv, walk 6 miles a day which is 15 minutes every hour in my house with few exceptions. Play my computer game. Work on ancestry. Read. And throughly annoy my difficult husband 😂. Plus the usual household stuff that I do every now and then.

I am getting puppy Friday YAY, so I will be even busier.

Welcome to the forum!

WoW that was quite an introduction, :) pleased to meet you...

welcome-from-london.jpg

Welcome. Retirement boring? That’s completely up to the individual. I’d start looking for some great lures and map out the fishing spots you are dreaming about. If there’s a will, those hands of yours will work just fine. Enjoy your retirement.
You’ve earned it.
FB8D4770-29F4-4D2A-B790-330918D47AC3.jpeg

Hi JB,welcome glad you found us
You'll meet wonderful group of members from around the world here at SF
There is a thread about 'retirement',others can give you advice about that next step
I've been retired for 10yrs {as of next month} have no idea where the time has gone
It took me a couple weeks after I retired to get into my own routine,each yr I would change it a bit
For me,staying busy is # 1 because I can get bored really quickly
Enjoy yourself here
Sue in Buffalo,NY

Hi JB,welcome glad you found us
You'll meet wonderful group of members from around the world here at SF
There is a thread about 'retirement',others can give you advice about that next step
I've been retired for 10yrs {as of next month} have no idea where the time has gone
It took me a couple weeks after I retired to get into my own routine,each yr I would change it a bit
For me,staying busy is # 1 because I can get bored really quickly
Enjoy yourself here
Sue in Buffalo,NY
Thanks Sue.
By the way, I grew up east of you an Lake Ontario. Near Rochester.

Back