Hello to All

kimmer

My name is Kim I am a retired firefighter of 28 years My wife just retired this past August. Covid put a cramp on me getting out even though I did get it. I have a low immune system from taking biologics for my severe RA so don't see a lot of people or travel wth the wife anymore. Daughters have families and the grandkids are busy with their lives now so don't see them much Hoping to interact and make some friends on this site We live on 4.5 acres in the country and sure beats city living to me. Oh also do try to maintain a fruit orchard to occupy some of my time

Hi Kim... great to have you join us.. welcome from London... my ex was a firefighter.. just jump right in anywhere you like, and chat..we don't stand on ceremony here..

welcomeaboard.jpg

Welcome Kim!

What kind of fruit?

I am interested as we have a couple of acres of peaches, right now a farmer maintains it and sells the fruit, but I am pretty sure he will be retiring soon. Leaving me to figure it out.
I do 35 apple trees and have 5 peach trees The peach trees are redhavens

I do 35 apple trees and have 5 peach trees The peach trees are redhavens
You should get with the farmer and if he is retiring try to buy his equipment when he reetires and see what he sprays the trees with and how often Peaches ae a lot of work They need pruned fertilized routinely sprayed Get with him before he retires and seewhat he does is your best bet Theres money to be made in selling peaches

You should get with the farmer and if he is retiring try to buy his equipment when he reetires and see what he sprays the trees with and how often Peaches ae a lot of work They need pruned fertilized routinely sprayed Get with him before he retires and seewhat he does is your best bet Theres money to be made in selling peaches
Peaches are a lot of work, I have been watching him pretty closely. I am sure I can get the spray info from him, but both pruning and thinning are skills I don't have. Also here in Utah they have to be regularly irrigated, our water comes from a very old ditch complex and our water right gives us 5 hours every 6 days, but the hours vary, could be middle of the night. And getting the water to flow properly to the trees seems to me to be a real skill, the ground is not flat.

And it seems to be that selling them is complex. He lets them tree ripen and has arrangements with fruit stands in the area to sell them, tree ripened peaches are a whole lot better than store bought. Problem is you have to have the connections, and be able to reliably commit to delivering a know quantity on a specific day.

The farmer turns 90 in a couple of months, he is in amazing shape but can't farm forever.

@kimmer BIG HI. Your orchard sounds amazing. What a nice way to put time in with. I bet the fruit is mouth watering. Love to see pics of your heaven. ENJOY your time here, it’s a great place with great people.07438CB0-6D52-4853-8A2D-D9829FC60E71.jpeg

Peaches are a lot of work, I have been watching him pretty closely. I am sure I can get the spray info from him, but both pruning and thinning are skills I don't have. Also here in Utah they have to be regularly irrigated, our water comes from a very old ditch complex and our water right gives us 5 hours every 6 days, but the hours vary, could be middle of the night. And getting the water to flow properly to the trees seems to me to be a real skill, the ground is not flat.

And it seems to be that selling them is complex. He lets them tree ripen and has arrangements with fruit stands in the area to sell them, tree ripened peaches are a whole lot better than store bought. Problem is you have to have the connections, and be able to reliably commit to delivering a know quantity on a specific day.

The farmer turns 90 in a couple of months, he is in amazing shape but can't farm forever.
My father-in-law had a large apple orchard before he sold it. I learnt a lot of my skills from working with him. For peaches I read alot of reference materials on pruning and spraying. One thing I never do is spray when trees are in bloom it will kill the honeybees. I have a large tree with a nest of bees in it since I've lived here and thats been 26 years. Don't understand the water right thing But I'm not out there. May also check with with him to see if you need a license to spray in the county or state Some places won't sell to you with out that license number

Back